PDA

View Full Version : How to Measure for tie rod

07Negative
06-25-2014, 06:14 PM
This is a question(s) tread more than a "look at what I made" tread.
From my extensive (not really) research from the internets. I've come up short on finding out how to measure properly for making a tie rod end.
I would use my existing setup, but I'm switching it out and I don't think the Reid knuckles have the same distance between the OEM.
I think I have an idear, but I'd rather ask first.

Also, Would using my buzz box welder be up to the task of welding the bung onto the tubing? I'm using heim joints with I think 2" long treads (could be a touch longer).

4.3LXJ
06-25-2014, 06:53 PM
Are you using cross over or y link steering linkage?

07Negative
06-25-2014, 07:22 PM
I'll be doing cross over steering. The materials are from RuffStuffs steering kit, but obviously not the pre assemble stuff.
Logic tells me. I need to leave room for the length of the bungs and jam nut. But also for toe adjustment. I would also suspect that more thread from the heim joint in the bung the better.

4.3LXJ
06-25-2014, 07:24 PM
You will only need a 1/4' thread showing on each end

07Negative
06-25-2014, 07:31 PM
Seriously, its that easy?
And will my stick welder be suitable for this or is MIG the way to go as well?
Seems like this damn stick welder isn't any good for Jeep projects.

4.3LXJ
06-25-2014, 09:07 PM
I would hold out for the MIG. You will be able to make a better weld with it. It should have a list of settings for different thicknesses of steel. So say, you have 1/4" wall tube, set it for that thickness of steel and bevel the edges and start in. Weld with both hands on the gun and you will make a better weld. Nozzle about 1/2" from surface

Dredwolf
06-25-2014, 09:14 PM
I would hold out for the MIG. You will be able to make a better weld with it. It should have a list of settings for different thicknesses of steel. So say, you have 1/4" wall tube, set it for that thickness of steel and bevel the edges and start in. Weld with both hands on the gun and you will make a better weld. Nozzle about 1/2" from surface

And if it sounds like you're frying eggs, you're doing pretty well! :D

07Negative
06-25-2014, 09:26 PM
Thanks Steve. I'm gonna throw this buzz box on Craigslist. All I do is practice with. I've got probably 75lbs worth of rod too.

07Negative
06-25-2014, 09:41 PM
By the way Steve. I really think you would have made a great professor or instructor. I really appreciate your help

4.3LXJ
06-25-2014, 10:12 PM
By the way Steve. I really think you would have made a great professor or instructor. I really appreciate your help

Actually I opted for a career in teaching at the high school or community college level, but the powers at be decided I would be a lousy teacher. I think they were wrong

07Negative
06-25-2014, 11:29 PM
You said think. I'd rather say they were funkin wrong! I'm really and genuinely sorry for that.

4.3LXJ
06-25-2014, 11:32 PM
I moved on. Doesn't mean I didn't take my skills with me.