PDA

View Full Version : Driveline "clicking"

denverd1
06-25-2014, 03:47 PM
Well jeepers,
I'm back in the mix. I'm learning what I should try to fix myself and what I should leave to professionals. Wasted a LOT of time trying to fix it myself. More importantly, missed a lot of great opportunities to wheel with local club. So the jeep's fixed and I'm looking forward to getting back out there.

Last thing I did was rebuild the CV joint on the front shaft trying to chase down some noises that didn't sound very good. Had the rear shaft rebuilt when I did SYE. Front wheel ujoints were replaced a year ago.

This vid was shot on the way back to the trailer the day I broke things. Had to beat on it pretty good to get it out of the trail I was on.

I'm going about 5 mph at the beginning, close to 10 at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTNsZ_t8S3s

as you can tell, its a loud distinct noise. hoping some of you guys can help me identify it. dropped the jeep at my buddies house to keep it there for a while. planning to do a walk-along next time I'm out there

NW99XJ
06-25-2014, 04:16 PM
Ok, so are you sure its driveline? ....could be wheel/wheel bearing... maybe even brAke related, or worse... ring & pinion.
I see where your coming from though, it very well COULD be driveline....
wish I could see the underside while you drive, or had some close up pics of the various components.
This may involve some exploratory surgery if a good visual inspection doesnt turn anything up.
So ...what to check.....
Pinion yoke - look for breaks/cracks/loose u-joint caps/loose retaining screws
SYE yoke - look for breaks/cracks/loose u-joint caps/loose retaining screws
CV joint - look for breaks/cracks/loose u-joint caps/loose retaining screws
Driveline U-joints - look for breaks/cracks/loose u-joint caps/broken or missing c-clips signs of broken or missing needle bearings (u joint will be loose).
Brake drums/calipers - look for debris inside, breaks, cracks, etc.
Dust shields - see if one got bent or broken and is rubbing somewhere it shouldn't.
Wheel bearings - rotate assembly, see if you can duplicate the sound/hear grinding/popping/etc. or have excess play.
Check diff fluid for level, and metal. <-- may require removing the diff cover.

Make sure you report back on your findings, and we'll go from there.

denverd1
06-25-2014, 04:29 PM
Haha! Yea thanks

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

OldFaurt
06-25-2014, 08:11 PM
Sounds like your shaft nut fell off! Did you cotter pin it?
Wheel will stay on but the nut is clinking in the center hub cover of the wheel!
... I think! it is a light object that is not well timed so it is loose. Metal but not heavy!
Also check your lug nuts, a loose one can make noise like that! or a ding on your brake rotor! Nothing worth losing your mind over, just pull the wheel!

NW99XJ
06-26-2014, 08:44 AM
^ good advice....

denverd1
06-26-2014, 03:47 PM
who said I was losing my mind??

Thanks for the tips. I guess when you spend 6 months looking for a blown fuse, one's diagnostic skills SHOULD be in question. I'll let you guys know what I find.

denverd1
07-01-2014, 12:18 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0Uck5v-Rp908wQ8bqO6_UxKm-oev_W0PlveEJuhH63Zcgu3Q_

So the noise is coming from the from the front yoke I replaced with the U-bolt version. The flange you see pictured above is not connected to anything, it rotates with the front DS. Thought about taking it off, but I guess its supposed to keep debris out of the front pumpkin.

NW99XJ
07-02-2014, 08:34 AM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0Uck5v-Rp908wQ8bqO6_UxKm-oev_W0PlveEJuhH63Zcgu3Q_

So the noise is coming from the from the front yoke I replaced with the U-bolt version. The flange you see pictured above is not connected to anything, it rotates with the front DS. Thought about taking it off, but I guess its supposed to keep debris out of the front pumpkin.

A couple little dabbs of JB Weld would prob take care of that well enough.

denverd1
07-02-2014, 10:03 AM
I agree. Also thinking I may have BENT it a bit when trying to winch/punch the skinny pedal in reverse out of the last trail I was on.