PDA

View Full Version : Dies after starting

OGCollard
06-19-2014, 07:30 PM
Christine has thrown me a curve ball. It turns over but dies immediately. Will do this twice then fires right up. I am wondering if a dirty throttle body and IAC can cause this. Every now and then it will straight shut off at red light. I have the throttle body gasket and figure it would not hurt anything to clean it. A little nervous though cause I am a big big novice at working on an engine.....

4.3LXJ
06-19-2014, 08:05 PM
That is what I would do Mark. Not much to it. Two bolts and unplug it if you want. Clean it and the orifice up and put it back together and your problems most likely will be solved

slipinkramer
06-19-2014, 08:09 PM
Mark,

I agree. Clean up the throttle body bore area and the IAC.

OGCollard
06-19-2014, 09:19 PM
Will man up n do this weekend. I bought the jeep with the idea a true jeeper does this stuff on their own. Learning experience! If I wanna be a true jeeper this is a very minor thing. Will let you guys know how I do! Appreciate the feedback!

Brasscatz
06-19-2014, 09:28 PM
You got this, no problem man

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

OGCollard
06-21-2014, 03:26 PM
Success! Man it was dirty! Crap seriously caked on there! Got it clean put it back on and it seems to have made a difference. Starts better so far. My buddy told me to check on hear about having the computer remap the throttle body now that it is clean. He mentioned disconnecting the battery but said there may be another way. Any suggestions?

4.3LXJ
06-21-2014, 03:29 PM
Glad to hear success stories. Yes, disconnecting the battery cables and touching then together will wipe the memory. Bear in mind though, these computers are in the dunce class. They are slow learners so it might take a week or two for it to settle down

OGCollard
06-23-2014, 07:49 AM
Had to wait till I was at work so I could use the computer. I had to cut this down big time in order to match the size requirements. This is how dirty the throttle body was!!