PDA

View Full Version : Pitman Arm

Rocco83
06-19-2014, 03:10 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/20/jyzehemy.jpg

Is the pitman arm threaded on there? With my spacer having gone all to shit on me not allowing me to bolt my steering box up and get good leverage to take the pitman off at the top I thought I'd try the bottom. Well I got the nut off the top of the pitman arm on the bottom, but the arm doesn't want to come up and off.

Starting to get real frustrated, real fast. The XJ is just sitting in the driveway all at an angle taking up 2 car spots and I can't turn it to move it, and I can't move it until I can get this damn steering box out to get the seized bolt out. Any ideas?

I already tried holding the steering box in place with a chain, tie down strap, and even para cord to take the pitman off the bottom; but as I tried to loosen the nut the whole pitman arm swiveled causing the steering box to move enough to not allow me to get leverage.

4.3LXJ
06-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Rocco, those fittings are both tapered. The one on the box has splines, and the one on the tie rod just has a smooth taper. When the nut is tightened, it forces the taper in so tight it cannot move. So, to get them off, there are two ways for the tie rod. One is a pickle fork, which you hit with a hammer that forces two tines in-between the arm and tie rod. Guaranteed to wreck the boot though which will have to be replaced. The other method for both is the pitman arm and tie rod end puller, which uses a wrench or socket to screw down on the end and force them apart.

Rocco83
06-19-2014, 03:30 PM
So pretty much I'm going to have to hit up and autozone for a pitman puller. And that will work on the upper or lower?

4.3LXJ
06-19-2014, 03:40 PM
They are two different sizes. If you want to pull both, you will need both. Sometimes when you put the pressure on the pitman arm, you have to whack the arm with a hammer to get it to come loose

KMW-NWXJ
06-20-2014, 01:24 AM
If you smack the end of arm with a hammer a couple times it should pop right out. Not on the end of the rod with the tapered stud, but on the other part with the tapered hole.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Rocco83
06-20-2014, 06:00 AM
If you smack the end of arm with a hammer a couple times it should pop right out. Not on the end of the rod with the tapered stud, but on the other part with the tapered hole.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I hit about everything down there with a BFH in my frustration and nothing seemed any looser after than before.

slvmart
06-20-2014, 06:20 AM
I usually use a Pickle fork on all the steering connections. Just beware that in most cases you will have to replace the grease seal. And they can be a PITA, getting off. I had to resort to a air chisel with a hammer end to get one off recently.

nickyg
06-20-2014, 08:33 AM
I used a pitman arm puller from harbor tool and freight it was like 10 bucks. a 2 pound hammer and lots and lots and lots of PB blaster.
As I applied pressure with the puller I tapped the arm with the hammer. not really trying to pound it off but break up the rust. It finally came off.. I really did think it wouldn't.

nickyg
06-20-2014, 08:44 AM
OK, I just reread your post. Sorry. My instructions were for removing the pitman arm from the steering box. I think your trying to remove the draglink from the pitman arm? am I correct. When I have to that I use a pickle fork in an air hammer. (Both can be boughten at Harbor for around 10 bucks each)

Rocco83
06-20-2014, 10:16 AM
Just trying to get the pitman arm off the steering box so I can get the bolt off and get it cleaned up for the new spacer on Monday.

denverd1
06-28-2014, 01:44 PM
OK, I just reread your post. Sorry. My instructions were for removing the pitman arm from the steering box. I think your trying to remove the draglink from the pitman arm? am I correct. When I have to that I use a pickle fork in an air hammer. (Both can be boughten at Harbor for around 10 bucks each)
Nickyg said BOUGHTEN.

I had to cut mine off. Wanted a dropped pitman arm anyway. Did PB, BFh even put a torch on it. Nothing worked. Cutoff wheel to the rescue.

Rocco83
06-28-2014, 02:12 PM
I ended up getting it off. Used a pitman puller on the upper portion with about a 6 foot breaker bar. Used the passenger side tire to plant my feet and kept at that damn thing until it finally gave way. Then had the issue of the power steering lines refusing to come off the steering box. Then had the return line pretty much having been fused at the top and needing to be cut off. In the end I have it all torn down and am actually about to head out and get it all put back together.

denverd1
06-28-2014, 03:17 PM
It's not too bad once you get it all out. You going with a dropped arm for future lift plans?

nickyg
06-28-2014, 09:39 PM
I ended up getting it off. Used a pitman puller on the upper portion with about a 6 foot breaker bar. Used the passenger side tire to plant my feet and kept at that damn thing until it finally gave way. Then had the issue of the power steering lines refusing to come off the steering box. Then had the return line pretty much having been fused at the top and needing to be cut off. In the end I have it all torn down and am actually about to head out and get it all put back together.

Awesome.

Rocco83
07-04-2014, 09:16 PM
It's not too bad once you get it all out. You going with a dropped arm for future lift plans?

Didn't end up changing my pitman arm because I'm buying everything I need to get a 4" lift done here in August.