PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins .

Philxj4L
06-18-2014, 07:49 AM
Just over a week ago I took a trip to the doctors with what I suspected was an ear infection. The doc had a look, asked some questions, and promptly dispatched me straight to the local hospital with a referral letter.
I must admit, that did have me concerned. After some investigation at the hospital it turned out that the 'ear infection' was in fact some sort of inflammation in the arteries in my temple, that if untreated, could well have resulted in the loss of sight in my right eye.
They checked my weight, and then gave me some steroids, when I say 'some' that was actually the maximum dose they could for someone my weight,and told me I'd be on high dose until they could sort a biopsy (around 2 weeks), and if that showed the inflammation had cleared they would gradually stop the steroids.
Due to MS, I've had a few 3-4 day courses of steroids before, we never play well together, but it's a necessary evil. This time I was somewhat surprised that after 1 night of no sleep, things settled down and where goin quite smoothly, I even seen an improvement in my legs,, until this morning. Seems the rough ride start here. The biopsy is scheduled for the 24th so it could be a rough week.
You do have to look at the big picture, so a rough ride is preferable to loosing half your sight, and the treatment and how quickly it was sorted has to be praised, especially as it was all free of charge through the UKs NHS (national health service) that is under huge pressure from under funding and under staffed, so in reality, alls good, I have my sight and apart from the MS, I'm in pretty good health, and there are a hell of a lot of folk much worse off than me that go through hell every day with less support than I am very lucky to have.

abebehrmann
06-18-2014, 08:08 AM
Best wishes with your recovery. I hope everything gets sorted out quickly with as little pain as possible.

4.3LXJ
06-18-2014, 09:17 AM
Get better soon Phil

EekGirl96
06-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Wishes for a speedy recovery..... Get better soon!!!

Philxj4L
06-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Thanks folks. :D just had a call from the hospital, they've brought the biopsy forward to tomorrow morning. Luckily it's nothing I should be concerned about, as it due to the surgeon who was booked for that days surgery has had complications after surgery on HIS hand.

rabies
06-18-2014, 09:54 AM
In Jesus name

NW99XJ
06-18-2014, 09:55 AM
Wow Phil, what a story.
Glad it was caught early enough, looks like you have the right state of mind and are positive in your spirits..... you should be fine.
And it sounds like this is all going to be pretty routine for the medical staff too.
Good luck man, and get well soon!

Philxj4L
06-18-2014, 11:52 AM
I must admit, I've been lucky in life. I spent 25 odd years on bikes, for the most part, high power Jap chroch rockets in N Ireland, and survived a few offs with nothing more that a few minor bones broken (toe, couple of fingers) and managed to get through 49 years without any form of surgery. The first was just over a year ago, to remove some bone that had trapped a tendon in my shoulder. When I have bad days (and i do get some) I make a point of remembering how fortunate I am. Yeah, my legs don't work and I'm in a wheelchair, but I have a great family, and an amazing partner who puts up with me through the good and bad, and my Jeep. There are so many people who have sacrificed more than I could ever, and have paid a higher price. I bitch about it at times, but I know I'm lucky, and always remember that. When I'm out and about and see kids in wheelchairs, THAT rips me apart, knowing there's so much of growing up that I enjoyed that they'll never experience due to their disabilities.

Rocco83
06-18-2014, 02:19 PM
Hope you the best of luck. And damn do you have a great frame of mind about everything!

Brasscatz
06-18-2014, 05:35 PM
Real glad you caught it when you did. Sending up prayers for a more comfortable journey through this

XJ Wheeler
06-19-2014, 02:03 AM
I am sorry to hear that you are having problems but it is truly a blessing it was caught when it was! And i applaud your attitude toward your situation. It is so easy to let yourself get down and believe the worst, trust me i know, but that positive attitude you have will give you more than just about anything. Hope the very best for you and you will be in my prayers. :)

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

bruggz351
06-19-2014, 02:11 AM
Best of luck man....

Philxj4L
06-19-2014, 08:24 AM
Thanks again fir all your thoughts. :D been in and back home again, all went well. 2 week wait on results, but seems it is what they thought, so everything under control. :D I now have a slight modification tommy head. Lol

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a519/Philxj4L/1AB04F67-0886-4D16-9936-CDCF800EB51B_zpsjkneur5u.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/Philxj4L/media/1AB04F67-0886-4D16-9936-CDCF800EB51B_zpsjkneur5u.jpg.html)

denverd1
06-19-2014, 12:38 PM
Good news. Hope your treatment going forward all goes according to plan.

Philxj4L
07-09-2014, 07:20 AM
Had a phone call today from the doctor, with the results of the biopsy. The great news is, it's no temporal artritis, so my sight is safe, and just need to slowly cut back the steroids. The down side of this news is, I don't know what the problem is. I say is, as I'm still getting the same symptoms. Hayho, looks like another doc appointment is in order, but at least it has to be better news than before. :)

oderdene
07-09-2014, 07:38 AM
nice to hear that bro, take care.

XJ Wheeler
07-09-2014, 04:05 PM
That's great bud!

bad luck
07-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Well, I guess the other good news with all the steroids your probably strong as hell! And it's great news that you won't have a huge medical bill to pay either.

But seriously, I hope it all works out well for you. Best wishes.

Philxj4L
07-21-2014, 05:15 AM
Excuse the language, but Christ on a bike ! That right there was a ride to hel itself !
Nobody warned me about that, and I don't care to repeat it any time soon, in fact, anytime at all. I was ready for staying in bed, giving up and even selling the Jeep. I couldn't even speak to friends on the phone, as I knew, one wrong word and I'd have very directly told them where to go, in two words, ending in off.
Thankfully, I seem to be out the other side of it, and can get back on track.
Be warned guys, steroid withdrawal is HATEFUL ! If your ever on high dose steroids, be prepared for a very rough ride getting back off them.