PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice on a lift kit

Midknight
06-17-2014, 09:52 PM
I have a 3.5" lift kit on my wife's Jeep that she does not want, I was thinking about putting it on my Jeep, but I kinda want a 4.5" lift. If I do the SYE on the 3.5 can I eventually put a 4.5" on and us the same drive line? It would be a shame to just let the 3.5" just sit there..... so please brothers and sisters let me hear your opinion

thesupercroc
06-17-2014, 10:50 PM
A few questions first for you.

What year is either jeep?

What T-case do they have?

Are you looking to mall crawl, mud run or what?

If 3.5" lift should be good without a SYE. Over 4" you will most likely need a SYE
you could go to 4.5" from 3.5" with a SYE.

Also when looking in to a lift get your blinker fluid changed and check the muffler bearing. You might want to look in to the 68 VW beetle lower radiator upgrade I hear that it can boost HP by 100% ! :D ;)

Brasscatz
06-17-2014, 10:52 PM
Shouldn't be Problem at all. In fact, you could even add 1" coil spacers and 1" blocks or a longer shackle to the leafs to get 4.5". That would be just fine and very cost effective

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

Midknight
06-17-2014, 11:50 PM
A few questions first for you.

What year is either jeep?

What T-case do they have?

Are you looking to mall crawl, mud run or what?

If 3.5" lift should be good without a SYE. Over 4" you will most likely need a SYE
you could go to 4.5" from 3.5" with a SYE.

Also when looking in to a lift get your blinker fluid changed and check the muffler bearing. You might want to look in to the 68 VW beetle lower radiator upgrade I hear that it can boost HP by 100% ! :D ;)

I guess I left a lot of info out.
I have a 01
I do not know the T case
mudding mostly.
My wifes drive line vibrates with the 3.5, so I think it will do the same on mine. I was thinking of upgrading to 4.5" in a year or so by buying the pieces to upgrade

XJ Wheeler
06-17-2014, 11:55 PM
You may very well be able to get away with a t-case drop for even that 4.5". Several do, me included. Might save a good chunk of change, unless you just want the sye. I want one too. :D

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Midknight
06-17-2014, 11:59 PM
MY wife has the T case drop and it still vibrates.

XJ Wheeler
06-18-2014, 12:07 AM
MY wife has the T case drop and it still vibrates.

Perhaps you need shims then. Mine had to have a 6° to finally get it where there is only a minimal amount.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

thesupercroc
06-18-2014, 01:20 AM
I have a 01

I do not know the T case

Then I'm 90% sure you have the NP231

mudding mostly. I cant help you much there.

My wifes drive line vibrates with the 3.5, so I think it will do the same on mine. I was thinking of upgrading to 4.5" in a year or so by buying the pieces to upgrade

T-case drops are only a band-aid to the real problem. save up the money and do (at least this part) right. Get a SYE you will have to shim your rear axel as well.

What brand lift is it?

Midknight
06-18-2014, 09:07 AM
I was looking at the Adam's drive shaft and rough trail SYE, any thoughts?

thesupercroc
06-18-2014, 11:14 AM
I have a 01
I do not know the T case
mudding mostly.

I was looking at the Adam's drive shaft and rough trail SYE, any thoughts?

Just from looking at their web site it looks good to go. If you would want to save some money their is a good chance that you could use a front CV drive shaft from a Cherokee $50 vs $300 .