PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a dana 35 rear end they want to sell?

dagod16
06-15-2014, 01:10 AM
My back left rear bearings keeping going out. My mechanic and I both think the bearings are going out because the frame is a little bent on some spot or another. Ive had nothing but trouble with the dana 35 I have now. We would like to swap it out with a better model. Would like to get a decent one at a good price in good shape.

Looking for one that someone knows is in good working order. One I can pick up within range of central IL

Thanks

Rob

slvmart
06-15-2014, 02:44 AM
Did you check axle shafts to see if they aren't bent ?

I don't have a spare axle, but you can usually find someone on Craigslist.

How about just pulling a string line from both ends of the axle, same location on each end, and then eyeballing to see if it looks straight ? String line to axle housing. If you suspect that it might be bent then you should be able to measure from the string line to the axle housing to verify if that is really the problem.

Never tried this, so I'm just scheming, but it might be worth the effort you save in pulling the axle out and swapping in a different one.

flux0r
06-16-2014, 11:32 AM
this post may be somewhat useless...

i have a 8.25... but i'm in Maryland, and to install it you'd have to remove your ABS system. otherwise, it would bolt right in.

perhaps you should look for a 8.25 with the same gearing as your 35. they can be had pretty cheap at junkyards and by people parting out XJ or upgrading axles.

Mudderoy
06-17-2014, 07:14 AM
I'd go with a Chrysler 8.25 if I was going to the trouble of replacing the rear axle.

KeZu01
06-17-2014, 07:28 AM
Usually just lurk, but I see you are not far away.
Fwiw, I am in western Indiana with a 2001 Dana 35 I'd sell you. It has 3.55 gears, I think but would have to check. Looks to have the bits for ABS, not positive on that either. Is in decent shape with drum brakes, would include everything. In fact, I'd throw in a matching d30 front plus 4 wheels with 30" bfg a/t km2s on them for the right price.

dagod16
06-20-2014, 04:20 AM
How much are you thinking for the dana 35.

I talked with my repair guy, mechanic. We both kinda agree that the housing must be bent a sliver or the bearings wouldnt go bad like this. Instead of spending 600 to 800 for the rear end then another 600 to 800 to install it I will just live with it and every 3 year just replace the bearing. Especially since starting march april the jeep wll just be a backup vehicle and pull the camper.:mad:

KeZu01
06-24-2014, 05:10 PM
The $6-800 was more what I was thinking for both ends (30&35) plus alloy wheels and 50% bfgs

Maybe $150 for the d35 drum to drum? If you can pick it up?
It prob needs fluid changed, maybe drum pads? But its 100% functional.

Installation shouldn't set you back that much, I would think, but I have never had such a job quoted.

dagod16
07-03-2014, 11:01 AM
KeZu01

I sent you two private messages, let me know your response please. I might be interested in that rear end buddy!!!! Not your rear end but that rear end. hahahah

KeZu01
07-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Hey Dagod,
Haven't got either of your messages for some reason, inbox is empty. Maybe try again?

dagod16
07-10-2014, 05:29 AM
I did send another one again!!! Hmmm

send me an email please

[email protected]

So I can check out your rear end!!

Hahahahah