PDA

View Full Version : Clunking sound/feel

KMW-NWXJ
06-14-2014, 01:02 AM
'91 5-speed with 2" lift.

When driving over rough bumps I can hear and feel a solid clunking. I also notice it when there is a torque switch, like being in 1st gear and giving it sudden throttle and then suddenly cutting throttle. It seems to be coming from right under the driver's foot area.

I haven't had a lot of time to look at it yet, but I crawled under it and checked the control arms, and the trans mount, and they seem solid. The only thing I have found so far is the lower bushing on the driver's side shock needs replaced, but I don't think that is making the sound and feel. Any ideas on what else to look at? On the road it drives really straight and smooth, no wander or wobble at all.

I will be looking at it more in depth tomorrow, but thought I would see if there were any ideas or suggestions for likely culprits.

slvmart
06-14-2014, 04:55 AM
I would fix that shock 1st, just to make sure. And all mounting locations, like the engine mounts and the trans mount. They do age and can dry out. By the drivers foot would tend to point to the transfer case or the trans. Remember the transfer case shifter is attached between the tunnel and the subframe, by the drivers right foot.

4.3LXJ
06-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Check your motor and transmission mounts. It is common for the to get sloppy over time. It is possible that the engine and tranny are moving back and forth from the change in torque

KMW-NWXJ
06-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Found it! Passenger side motor mount rubber is shot. Did the power brake thing. Forward it is all good and motor hardly moves at all. Reverse and the right side of the motor lifts up and then drops back with a clunk. Explains why I felt/heard it when torque transfers.

Drivers side mount looks like it was recently replaced with an oem replacement.

Guess I'll be researching motor mounts! At least it's an easy fix.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

XJ Wheeler
06-14-2014, 10:19 PM
Here's a good thread for info.
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16480

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

KMW-NWXJ
06-15-2014, 12:07 AM
Thanks. I did read through that. Good info!

Since it was completely ripped in two pieces and we have to drive it, I picked up a stock replacement at Napa today and put it in. Kind of a pain! Found out you have to remove the oil filter and filter adaptor to get the bolt out! Eventually I'll replace them both with one of the better aftermarket ones.
That took care of part of the clunking, but I still have some. The transmission mount is very soft, and allows a lot of movement, so I'm going to replace it as well. Since it is still intact, I'll get a better upgrade the first time, if there is one. Any suggestions or recommendations on transmission mounts?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

XJ Wheeler
06-15-2014, 12:29 AM
Thanks. I did read through that. Good info!

Since it was completely ripped in two pieces and we have to drive it, I picked up a stock replacement at Napa today and put it in. Kind of a pain! Found out you have to remove the oil filter and filter adaptor to get the bolt out! Eventually I'll replace them both with one of the better aftermarket ones.
That took care of part of the clunking, but I still have some. The transmission mount is very soft, and allows a lot of movement, so I'm going to replace it as well. Since it is still intact, I'll get a better upgrade the first time, if there is one. Any suggestions or recommendations on transmission mounts?

Actually i did a write up on replacing those and also included a section on what is offered for that replacement. Hope it helps.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=17495

KMW-NWXJ
06-15-2014, 12:51 AM
Funny, I just finished reading that! I think I'll pick up a rubber one tomorrow.

KMW-NWXJ
06-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Just picked up a mount and will be putting it in shortly. Hoping that stops the clunking!

Seems like this should be really easy and simple to find! I mean, there aren't that many parts under there!

KMW-NWXJ
06-17-2014, 12:17 AM
Well, after the motor mount and transmission mount the clunking is almost gone. I think the last of it is going to be my control arm bushings.

XJ Wheeler
06-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Good to hear! Hope those others take care of it for good.

KMW-NWXJ
06-22-2014, 11:31 PM
Well, I ordered a set of Energy bushings for the axle end of the lower control arms. The frame end has Johnny joints. Should have all my bushings by mid week. I think I'll take the Johnny joints apart and check them out too, while I have the arms out.

4.3LXJ
06-22-2014, 11:37 PM
Sounds like a plan. Make sure you pack the new inserts well. Shoot some grease in through the xerc fitting without the snap ring in and then install the snap ring

KMW-NWXJ
06-22-2014, 11:39 PM
This will be new for me. Never messed with Johnny joints before. Very interested to see what's inside!

4.3LXJ
06-22-2014, 11:41 PM
Not much, a ball and a couple of plastic inserts

KMW-NWXJ
06-22-2014, 11:43 PM
Hmmm. Maybe I should just order new inserts just for the heck of it. Can't be to much, right?

Ok, off to Google again!

KMW-NWXJ
07-10-2014, 01:08 AM
Well, I finally got all new bushings in the control arms. Boy, the uppers were a pain in the @$$!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, Moog oem style in the uppers. They actually said Clevite on them.

I put Energy poly bushings in the axle end of the lowers. I just got some leaf spring bushings with the right diameter. They were about 1/4" to long, so I had to trim them down a little, but no biggie.

Important thing is; no more clunking!!! Nice and tight now. I am going to get some rebuild kits for the Johnny joint ends. Anyone done them before? Do I need to get their tool to do it?