PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys! Need some quick help

KMW-NWXJ
06-13-2014, 08:08 PM
So, we just got that '91 XJ. My wife just called me and she accidentally killed it while trying to park at the store. (Still getting used to the clutch) She said that now it wont start. It cranks over fine, just no start. It has been running like a top with no issues up to that moment.

I know the previous owner changed almost all the sensors in the last couple months while trying to settle a minor high idle issue.

Any ideas? This is very frustrating, because I am 40 miles away at work, and wont be home until 2:00 am!

Mudderoy
06-13-2014, 08:38 PM
So, we just got that '91 XJ. My wife just called me and she accidentally killed it while trying to park at the store. (Still getting used to the clutch) She said that now it wont start. It cranks over fine, just no start. It has been running like a top with no issues up to that moment.

I know the previous owner changed almost all the sensors in the last couple months while trying to settle a minor high idle issue.

Any ideas? This is very frustrating, because I am 40 miles away at work, and wont be home until 2:00 am!

The most common is the CPS or the connection to the wiring harness.

KMW-NWXJ
06-13-2014, 08:40 PM
Thanks! She just called me and after sitting for awhile it started. She's on her way home now, but I'm going to have to look into this. I'll ask if he changed that sensor. I hate not trusting a vehicle!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mudderoy
06-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Thanks! She just called me and after sitting for awhile it stayed. She's on her way home now, but I'm going to have to look into this. I'll ask if he changed that sensor. I hate not trusting a vehicle!

If I remember correctly that is one of the symptoms of a bad CPS, it could be other things though. I would check the sensor connect to the harness first. Also if you go to replace it get it from the Jeep dealership.

KMW-NWXJ
06-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Well thanks for the quick replies. Looks like I have a weekend project to do!

4.3LXJ
06-13-2014, 09:59 PM
I think all that happened is that it was flooded. Standard procedure on that is to crank with the accelerator depressed all the way for a few seconds. The injectors will not fire and the gas will be atomized and carried out of the cylinders. Then you can start normally

KMW-NWXJ
06-13-2014, 10:16 PM
I think all that happened is that it was flooded. Standard procedure on that is to crank with the accelerator depressed all the way for a few seconds. The injectors will not fire and the gas will be atomized and carried out of the cylinders. Then you can start normally

Well, see, I actually thought of that, but can it flood being fuel injected? If it can, then I would bet that is what happened.

4.3LXJ
06-13-2014, 10:18 PM
Yes, it can

KMW-NWXJ
06-13-2014, 10:32 PM
Well, that is good news then! Thanks.

Mudderoy
06-14-2014, 02:34 AM
And this is why I tell everyone that ask me questions on Facebook chat to post here and get more than one opinion on their problem. ;o)

KMW-NWXJ
06-17-2014, 12:13 AM
Update...

It's been running fine since, so I think the flooding theory is the winner here!