PDA

View Full Version : Long arm upgrades

XjJeepacorn
06-11-2014, 10:39 AM
yeah I'm going to order one today. after the threading on one of my lower lcrs stripped yesterday! for now I just got ine of the guys to weld it back into place for me and it only needs to last till the new kit hets here

so I've been looking I like the idea of them throwing in a t case skid plate with the rough country kit but it only goes to 6" what of I decide I want 8" later?

I like Iron rocks 3 link kit, but I hear 3 links are bad on the highway. (if any of you can elaborate on this that would be great)

I looked at claytons but I just don't like it. don't wanna weld.

found one on ebay. like the idea of the easy transmission service option.

I'm on rustys sight now havent finshed reading over there!!

so what are you guys running? I want something strong and durable and good for the highway. please let me know I'd like to have a kit ordered by the end of the day :) thanks

4.3LXJ
06-11-2014, 11:01 AM
I run a three link but it is not IRO. That kit is not a good design IMHO. Well, maybe not so humble. To run a three link, you need tough bushings so the axle doesn't rotate every time you hit something. The limit you are talking about is the limit of the upper link. If you go to 8" with it the castor angle will go to negative. Besides, at 8" you will need steering modification. 6" is about the limit for tie rod ends

NW99XJ
06-11-2014, 11:18 AM
so I've been looking I like the idea of them throwing in a t case skid plate with the rough country kit but it only goes to 6" what of I decide I want 8" later?
Then just change your springs, and you're good to go.
Thats the beauty of a long arm kit, they're almost all fully adjustable, and will work from 4.5" to 8" of lift and beyond.

I like Iron rocks 3 link kit, but I hear 3 links are bad on the highway. (if any of you can elaborate on this that would be great)
3 Link systems are fine on or off the freeway, .......IMHO though, 4 links are always better than three, More reliable, and obviously much stronger..... and with the IRO Kit there is a single 10mm bolt/nut that maintain the castor angle, and that's it... some guys have had issues with this, others, not so much.

I looked at claytons but I just don't like it. don't wanna weld.

found one on ebay. like the idea of the easy transmission service option.

I'm on rustys sight now havent finshed reading over there!!

so what are you guys running? I want something strong and durable and good for the highway. please let me know I'd like to have a kit ordered by the end of the day :) thanks
There really isnt a much stronger kit out there than the Clayton... most of the heavy rock crawling guys out here in the NW swear by them.

A lot of guys are quite happy with the Rough Country Long Arm up grade kit... beefy, and thery seem to have worked out the bugs with their rod ends.
I wheel with several guys up here that run that kit, and they all seem to be happy.

Another option would be Iron Man 4x4's long arm kit... also one of the beefiest kits out there, competitively priced, and he's a site supporter!
You have two options when using his kit though for a center section, so the choice is up to you. He's also got great customer service, so if there;s something particular you want or are looking for out of a kit, CALL HIM, and he'll definitely point you in the right direction.
I recently picked up a set of his long arms, and I couldn't have been more impressed with the quality... I haven't made up my mind yet on a cross member, so once I figure that out, I'll have them in.

XjJeepacorn
06-11-2014, 11:34 AM
yeah everything I hear aabout andys work is a++++ I haven't got that far yet I like to read everything I can before I order. the clayton stuff looks good but like I said I don't wanna weld. rough country is good up to 8" it rough cou try them self says from 4 - 6 ???

07Negative
06-11-2014, 02:23 PM
I have no experience with a 3 link. And my only experience with LA's is TNT's radius arm kit. I love the belly pan! But I can see a 3 link being way better for offroad/rock crawling situations. But that's only an observation.
Clayton's stuff is badass! And a great company to do business with. I have a few of their products and wouldn't hesitate on their long arm kit.
Andy's stuff is killer too. And also a fantastic guy to do business with.
Frank with SeriousOffRoadProducts.com also makes a great long arm kit.
I like the TNT kit I have now, but I haven't really done any real crawling with. But no real issues to speak of.

XjJeepacorn
06-11-2014, 08:01 PM
yeah my good friend in buffalo was telling me about serious' s stuff. I'm gonna check those out thanks :)

XjJeepacorn
06-11-2014, 08:03 PM
I run a three link but it is not IRO. That kit is not a good design IMHO. Well, maybe not so humble. To run a three link, you need tough bushings so the axle doesn't rotate every time you hit something. The limit you are talking about is the limit of the upper link. If you go to 8" with it the castor angle will go to negative. Besides, at 8" you will need steering modification. 6" is about the limit for tie rod ends

all my steering is gettingng the big over haul soon! I just would like to have the option if I decide I want that in the future.

finneys98xj
06-11-2014, 08:04 PM
I like my 6 Rc kit. Rides sweet. Closest you will come to a Cadillac in a jeep

4.3LXJ
06-11-2014, 09:12 PM
all my steering is gettingng the big over haul soon! I just would like to have the option if I decide I want that in the future.

If you get that WJ stuff on, it won't be an issue

XjJeepacorn
06-11-2014, 09:33 PM
the new date is friday the 11th I should be going down unless something happens lol!

XjJeepacorn
06-11-2014, 09:34 PM
now that I'm actually home I can look some more and make a choice :)

4.3LXJ
06-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Just a suggestion, you could try mixing and matching. Such as the right cross member/skid plate combo with Andy's long arms, which he will make to your specs etc

XjJeepacorn
06-12-2014, 08:44 AM
thenks everyone for chiming in I've decided to go with sirius offroads long arm kit I've heard good things about their work and they use metric on their sight (lmao!) they are reasonably priced thanks for chiming in everyone