PDA

View Full Version : Mounting radio under driver seat?

davehzrd
06-08-2014, 01:18 AM
hi all,

i managed to find an old, but still working, panasonic "little big mike" CB for $20 online. the awesome thing about this radio, besides it being straight outta the 70's, is that all the controls are on the handset, so the main box of the radio can be hidden away.

i want to put it under my driver's seat. how much clearance do i have under the seat, what can i do to get maybe half an inch more clearance (test-fit didn't go as well as i hoped) and how should i mount the radio without putting holes in my floor? any advice would help a ton, thanks.

Mudderoy
06-08-2014, 06:47 AM
hi all,

i managed to find an old, but still working, panasonic "little big mike" CB for $20 online. the awesome thing about this radio, besides it being straight outta the 70's, is that all the controls are on the handset, so the main box of the radio can be hidden away.

i want to put it under my driver's seat. how much clearance do i have under the seat, what can i do to get maybe half an inch more clearance (test-fit didn't go as well as i hoped) and how should i mount the radio without putting holes in my floor? any advice would help a ton, thanks.

I had a 2m/70cm dual band radio with remote head and I mounted it under the passenger's seat. My wife would adjust the seat every time she got in the Jeep and one of the cables got cut, I think it was the remote speaker wire, but still. Also it scratched up the case. Eventually I thought about how I could get the radio up higher on the small chance I ever got water in the Jeep, so I moved it to the back of the center console.

Not great for the knees if you're in the back seat, but....

Since then I've had the center dash open a few times and a small radio might fit well inside there. Just a thought.

nickyg
06-08-2014, 07:48 AM
I have 5 inches, 7 french fries and something old and crusty (that was very angry I woke it up early on a Sunday morning) under my drivers seat.

prerunner1982
06-08-2014, 10:52 AM
I also have my dual band ham radio under the passenger seat. I made a ski/skid to mount the radio to. That way it kept it up off the carpet and allowed airflow around the radio. If the drivers side has the same room as the passenger side you should be fine. I would route the power cord, power cord, and external speak wire under the carpet to prevent the issue Mudderoy had. I would also route the mic cord that way if possible.

4.3LXJ
06-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Driver side has less room than the passenger side

davehzrd
06-08-2014, 11:29 AM
Driver side has less room than the passenger side

...is that because of a different floor height? i know the transfer case sits just about under the driver seat, but i didn't realize it made that much of a difference in floor height. i'll probably put it under the FP seat then, what size screws/bolts can i use to bolt the radio down without having to drill all the way through the floor?

4.3LXJ
06-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Different width of the seat mount due to the transmission hump being wider on the right.

Pookapotamus
06-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Pics! Let's see this thing!

swany66675
06-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Pictures please.

I have two cobra 29's one was built in 1989 the other is a newer model with a digital display. I'm just working on plans to build my jeep xj and have been trying to decide where to mount one.