PDA

View Full Version : Bald Mountain OHV

slipinkramer
06-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Yesterday a made a short side trip on the way home from work to the Bald Mountain OHV near Shaver Lake, CA. What a great off road playground! I spent a couple of hours crawling up and down the rocks around the mountain, but it is huge and deserves a full day or 2 to explore it all.

On the way down the mountain I found an abandoned dirt bike leaning against a tree. A few minutes later I found the rider trying to walk down the rocks. He told me he had broken down there 6 hours earlier. He had an emergency GPS locator beacon transponder and had pressed the button several times, but nobody had come, so he was trying to hike out before dark.

He got in the Jeep and I drove him down the mountain to the highway where we found several Forest Service Rangers getting ready to mount a search on foot. Also, there was a Forest Service helicopter orbiting overhead. His emergency transponder had worked after all. By this time the sun was getting ready to set and they were all so happy that I found him so they didn't have to search in the dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx4WHQo6A5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcchcyZMhNE

XJ Wheeler
06-04-2014, 12:13 PM
Awesome man! Way to go!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

07Negative
06-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Looks like there could be some nice places in those parts for camping, fishing, & wheeling.

slipinkramer
06-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Looks like there could be some nice places in those parts for camping, fishing, & wheeling.

Yes!

The Dusy Ershim trail is not far away from Bald Mountain. Its 3 days of high Sierra wheeling and fishing. It is fabulous. There are many others in the area too.

Trailer your Queen out here sometime and I'll show you!

07Negative
06-06-2014, 01:38 PM
I don't trailer it. My VW TDi wont tow that much weight ;) But you're all but 3-4 hours away from me. So I think I'll have to put this in the plans. I've never been. I just have to put the jeep back together before I can actually do this.

slipinkramer
06-06-2014, 08:51 PM
don't trailer it. My VW TDi wont tow that muchtat weight ;) But you're all but 3-4 hours away from me. So I think I'll have to put this in the plans. I've never been. I just have to put the jeep back together before I can actually do this.

But it says your level is uber Cherokee trailer queen... Lol

It's really nice around the Shaver Lake area.

I'm going to the Rubicon on September 5th, 6th and 7th. Are you up for that?

4.3LXJ
06-06-2014, 08:59 PM
I might be Paul, finances permitting. In fact I was just working on topographic maps of the trail. There are some others that go off it that would be interesting too

07Negative
06-07-2014, 02:04 AM
Sept should be good. I'm always game for the Rubicon!
My "Level." I never noticed that. I think I can change that.