PDA

View Full Version : Locker identification

2001-XJ
06-03-2014, 08:27 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/04/una3ypud.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/04/amenapuq.jpg

I purchased this XJ about a year ago with this locker installed. Recently it has gotten very noisy when turning (once gear fluid is up to temp), enough so that it causes the mirrors to vibrate. I think the unit had gone bad as I had it stuck in the mud this past weekend and only one rear tire was turning. I want to replace it with a new and different unit. Need help identifying this locker so I don't buy this brand again.

Thanks gang

OrangeXJ
06-03-2014, 09:39 PM
I have never seen a locker with springs. I've seen the inside of OX, ARB, Spartin, Elect and they don't have springs. I have not seen the inside of a limited slip diff but it sounds like that's what you have.

4.3LXJ
06-03-2014, 10:08 PM
That would be an Eaton limited slip differential. If it is chattering, try adding some limited slip diff additive. They need this to lubricate the clutches properly. The stuff I like best is Power Punch. The diff additive is black and comes in pint bottles. Also has moly in it that helps quiet gears.

2001-XJ
06-03-2014, 10:50 PM
Thanks, it sure is noise for a LS. But I looked at the Eaton LS and I believe you are right. That would explain the loose tire spinning in the mud. Guess my "locker" isn't broke after all. I will give change the oil and add the additive a try to see if it quiets down. Thanks for the help and tip.

slipinkramer
06-04-2014, 01:15 AM
I have never seen a locker with springs. I've seen the inside of OX, ARB, Spartin, Elect and they don't have springs. I have not seen the inside of a limited slip diff but it sounds like that's what you have.

My Aussie Locker has springs.

That one in the pic is some kind of a limited slip for sure. And why would you want to be limited anyway? Drop in a lunchbox locker and be happy!

gary63
06-04-2014, 07:26 AM
I have a limedslip in mine that is not it but it dos look like is dodge chry. and some jeep did get the powerlock witch I did have in my dodge for a wile.and they do work good and easy to rebiuld. but if it is making noise do the lub thing first becouse they do need the additive in the oil/greasr to work right. if you are driving in mud ,sand or hard on the gas pedle it is good it works by faster or harder you wheel spin the titer it locks up so it is easyer on tires onthe road than a locker.

2001-XJ
06-04-2014, 10:38 PM
You nailed it 4.3LXJ, I cleaned the gears up and installed new gear oil with additive and the nasty chattering is gone. Thanks for all the help, it saved me some coin and time!

4.3LXJ
06-04-2014, 10:40 PM
Glad that worked out for ya. Happy wheeling