PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate lock cylinder

OGCollard
06-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Is there a way to replace this bugger without taking the handle off tailgate? I got interior panel off and opened, new tailgate struts on. I also replaced my camshaft sensor today. Last project is replacing the drilled out cylinder but can't figure out how to get it off

4.3LXJ
06-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Should be a horseshoe clip holding it in. Slide it off, which usually takes tools like a screwdriver and pliers

OGCollard
06-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Thanks! I found that clip and got it switched out. New lock is tight but it works! Much better than the cylinder that someone drilled out!

4.3LXJ
06-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Glad you got it fixed

Eleazar
06-02-2014, 10:31 AM
I am glad that you where able to get the lock cylinder out and a new one put in.What I question is why you call it tight? As in the fit to the body when the clip was put in, the key is hard to turn, or the key is hard to put in the cylinder?

Automotive locks come under a lot more pressure than most other lock hardware.The key itself from the wafers, the clip that holds the body of the cylinder, the tail piece clip or the tail piece mechanism itself. Also the rods that connect to the mechanism that opens the tail piece lock, or locks.

I would check all of these by following the trail. Back of the cylinder right to the locking mechanism itself to find the reason for the tightness.

Why? For two reason. Locks that are tight break keys and that can be expensive these days and a broken key can also leave you stranded. Before you go and pull the tail gate apart again try some WD40 in the plug. That is where the key goes in, and see if it makes a difference. WD, IS NOT A LUBE. It is only a cleaner.

Most automotive locks these days are very long to what they used to be and gather dust or dry out faster. This binds wafers. If you find that after using the WD the lock is not tight anymore use a proper lube, like Tri-Flow. Do not use a lube that is oil or solvent based. As a Locksmith in a rural part of Canada I can tell you this, carry an extra key in your wallet.

E

Always here to help

OGCollard
06-02-2014, 01:11 PM
The cylinder is flush against the body. It is just somewhat tough to turn. I think it is under pressure from behind it. It works though s I will take it. Have an extra cylinder so replacement if key breaks is not scary since I know how to do it. My question would be should I use graphite instead of wd-40 inside the cylinder? Appreciate your input!

gary63
06-02-2014, 09:07 PM
we use wd40 at our shop I wouldn't use graphite in a automotive lock. Graphite will pack up inside like dirt and most new lock have a very light lube in then and graphite or lockeas will gum them up in our area. You want it to work smoothly becouse if you brake the key off inside the lock you may not be able to get the hatch open when you realy need to get something out.

Eleazar
06-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Well Gary is right on the money about graphite. DO NOT USE IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Binds the Lock like crazy glue. As soon as it gets wet that is the end of the lock. You want to make locks function ; do this.

WD in the winter this gets the excess moisture out. Then use Tri-Flow for the lube about three hours after the WD. Tri FLow has a very low freezing point. I do not work for the Tri Flow people I just live in a 40 below Zero place some days in the winter and I know that this works. The same routine in the summer keeps the dirt and debris out. Please remember this, keep all locks working well and your keys the same way. If you use your Jeep for off road at all, your life or some one you love life depends on it. Breaking keys, leaves you stranded. You may be stuck but your engine will still run, so you have heat. Carry another set hidden some where.

Yes I do like to Preach, Why? I do not want to go to another funeral that could of been prevented.

Thanks

E

Always here to help.