PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Light Troubles

Hopkins
05-25-2014, 09:24 AM
Does anyone else's XJ not trigger traffic lights?

Whenever I am at a light with just my XJ, I cannot get the light to turn green. I have been told the sensors can be either magnetic or weight triggered. I am only on a 4 inch lift with 33s, so I can't imagine that I am too high off the sensor. My only hypothesis is that since the XJ is unibody there is less metal to trigger a magnetic sensor and then when you lift the XJ it just further decreases an already weak magnetic attraction. And as far as the weight sensors, the XJ is already a light vehicle and when you put larger tires on you further increase your contact patch and weight distribution.

Anyhow, I just want to know if anyone else has this issue???

4.3LXJ
05-25-2014, 09:56 AM
I have had it happen once or twice. But I also had it happen with my 1 ton Power wagon that had lots of steel in it and not an ounce of plastic. It is a matter of the sensitivity of the sensors. They can be adjusted. I saw a tech working on an offending traffic light panel and complained to him and he shrugged it off. While I was complaining another pick up pulled up and voiced the same complaint. Then he fixed it and no more problems

bad luck
05-25-2014, 12:45 PM
Do what I do and just run all the red lights. Not really but if a light doesn't turn green when it's my turn to go, I will run it if it's safe.

bigjim350
05-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Same thing happens with my xj at one stop light. Don't have any problems at that stop light with my other vehicles.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

bluedragon436
05-25-2014, 12:54 PM
When I still had my 98 XJ... I had that same issue with a few traffic lights in town, some of them I just had to either wait my turn an go regardless of the light color, or figure out different routes to go, or a quick turn/U-turn combo to avoid haven to sit at them.. lol

Brasscatz
05-25-2014, 01:35 PM
I know what the problem is.... the traffic lights are run by FIAT!

I actually can't remember that happening to me in my Jeep, but it has happened to me in my old pickup truck (about 10 years ago) at a light and after waiting in the left turn lane through 5 cycles of it not turning green, I went straight, u-turned then turned right... all while squealing my tires in frustration.

Mudderoy
05-25-2014, 03:16 PM
Does anyone else's XJ not trigger traffic lights?

Whenever I am at a light with just my XJ, I cannot get the light to turn green. I have been told the sensors can be either magnetic or weight triggered. I am only on a 4 inch lift with 33s, so I can't imagine that I am too high off the sensor. My only hypothesis is that since the XJ is unibody there is less metal to trigger a magnetic sensor and then when you lift the XJ it just further decreases an already weak magnetic attraction. And as far as the weight sensors, the XJ is already a light vehicle and when you put larger tires on you further increase your contact patch and weight distribution.

Anyhow, I just want to know if anyone else has this issue???

The only problem I've had with traffic light sensors is the women that won't pull up close enough to the light to trigger them! OMG! Don't get me started. :smiley-laughing021:

Brasscatz
05-25-2014, 07:55 PM
Oh I CANNOT STAND when people stop a full car-length or more behind the white line.... Happens sooooo often in Houston and I just don't understand why!

nickyg
05-25-2014, 08:15 PM
It's not your Jeeps fault. and it's not Fiats fault. It's actually an elaborate conspiracy from the fast food industry. By controlling the lights they are forcing us to make legal "right on red" turns corralling us like cattle to the taco bell drive tru.

rabies
05-26-2014, 01:55 AM
they run off electromagnetic frequencies
put magnets on the bottom. i do that for motorbike n they change

Hopkins
05-26-2014, 09:47 AM
they run off electromagnetic frequencies
put magnets on the bottom. i do that for motorbike n they change

I have heard someone else give the exact same answer, so there must be some truth to it. Looks like I am gonna be checking Amazon for magnets.

Haha and yah the people that stop 3 car lengths in front of the light and then expect it to change are idiots... And the worst part is they can't even figure out they they are doing anything wrong!!!

4.3LXJ
05-26-2014, 09:50 AM
Old speakers have great magnets

gary63
05-26-2014, 10:03 AM
computer hard drive have some good mag. and they work good for holding thing on and they realgood.

Brasscatz
05-26-2014, 02:01 PM
Old speakers have great magnets

True story.... Nancy Pelosi attracted lots of idiots lol

4.3LXJ
05-26-2014, 02:09 PM
Does that mean that liberal people have too much iron in their blood?

Brasscatz
05-26-2014, 02:23 PM
Would be interesting to see if that's true :D Gotta be some sort of chemical imbalance in there somewhere lol

rabies
05-27-2014, 09:24 AM
i wasnt aware that dillusion was a type of magnet

4.3LXJ
05-27-2014, 10:09 AM
i wasnt aware that dillusion was a type of magnet

It seems to attract others