PDA

View Full Version : Welcome msmudslinger!!!

4.3LXJ
05-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Hi msmudslinger, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

msmudslinger
05-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Hey thanks for the add. just traded my old brute force for a 92 xj. Got gears a locker and a lift.. seem to be pretty bad but it's got a long ways to go before I do some serious playin.. i already have questions I would like to ask! Ha

4.3LXJ
05-24-2014, 05:58 PM
So what are your plans?

msmudslinger
05-24-2014, 07:12 PM
Well I need some shocks badly and I want resiviour without paying an arm and a leg.. any suggestions? Then interior..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
05-24-2014, 07:21 PM
I can't help you much there. they are all expensive. Why do you think you need reservoirs?

msmudslinger
05-24-2014, 07:58 PM
Looks lol but I want a shock so I can do some rock crawling with that will have enough stretch to be able to flex out..

bluedragon436
05-24-2014, 08:07 PM
:welcome: to :xjtalk: from Delaware!! Sounds like a good setup to start off with.. Why not pick up some slightly longer shocks then what you are currently running to give you that flexibility!!

4.3LXJ
05-24-2014, 08:27 PM
Looks lol but I want a shock so I can do some rock crawling with that will have enough stretch to be able to flex out..

Shocks come in different lengths. IIRC my current front shocks are 33" long. There are several brands that will sell shocks in that length. The only real reason for the reservoirs is for situations such as long off road travel, such as racing that makes the shock get hot. The reservoir keeps the shock from loosing fluid

msmudslinger
05-25-2014, 12:26 AM
Oh OK well I still like the look lol but I didnt know that.. what would be the length I need for an 8 in lift?

XJ Wheeler
05-25-2014, 03:52 AM
Welcome to xjtalk Ross. Sounds like a sweet xj already. Some pics when ya get a moment would be great! On the shocks, most manufacturers don't make one specifically for that tall of a lift so you may need to measure yours to get the best fit.

4.3LXJ
05-25-2014, 09:13 AM
Oh OK well I still like the look lol but I didnt know that.. what would be the length I need for an 8 in lift?

You cannot really say until you get your springs in. Then measure the total length needed to extend fully with no load. Different spring rates will also be different lengths. The lower the spring rate the longer the spring. Also bear in mind that you will need to do something with the steering. 8" is too much for the OEM stuff

msmudslinger
05-25-2014, 10:35 AM
As in tie rods and pitman arm or linkage

4.3LXJ
05-25-2014, 10:47 AM
The tie rod ends will not bend that far without being deformed

msmudslinger
05-25-2014, 11:43 AM
It's already got heim joints on it so I should be OK right? Or would u I need something else

4.3LXJ
05-25-2014, 12:13 PM
Maybe, you will have to look at them at full droop to be sure. When you start doing lifts that tall, you have to take care of that stuff as you go. Look at the track bar joints too

msmudslinger
05-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Can yall help me with what is what.. I lifted my old 96 f150 but all it had was tie rods and radius arm.

4.3LXJ
05-25-2014, 12:30 PM
The first thing you need to decide about this is if you are going to get a kit or piece together stuff yourself. Rusty's has the only 8" fit I am aware of. Once you get the specs, like spring and shock length from that kit if you go that way, then take everything loose and drop the axle that far and see if the steering will handle it. Unless you have a heim on the frame end of the track bar, or a double shear track bar, it won't. I built mine all from scratch and installed a high steer. But it took me a while to get it all dialed in. Works quite well now. But I had to build my own track bar and brackets when I ripped the old one off. I had death wobble problems too until I did that.