PDA

View Full Version : High flow water pump

Kellson
05-24-2014, 11:57 AM
Hey everyone, I'm doing a sort of tune up on the pulleys and belt of my engine (idler pulley, harm. balancer, belt) and I'm gonna replace the water pump too as a precaution. I have been looking into a high-flow pump from Flowkooler. Is it worth the risk of using non-oem parts? Do I really need one? Has anyone done this before?
I also have read that I will need to upgrade the thermostat and housing at the same time.

Thanks!
'89 170k 4.0

Mudderoy
05-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Hey everyone, I'm doing a sort of tune up on the pulleys and belt of my engine (idler pulley, harm. balancer, belt) and I'm gonna replace the water pump too as a precaution. I have been looking into a high-flow pump from Flowkooler. Is it worth the risk of using non-oem parts? Do I really need one? Has anyone done this before?
I also have read that I will need to upgrade the thermostat and housing at the same time.

Thanks!
'89 170k 4.0

Boy that's a tough question. I have one, not installed now. I was trying to use it to fix a running hot issue. Right now I'm just running stock stuff. Getting the cooling system to 100% and the right radiator was the key for me.

Kellson
05-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Maybe I should just replace everything with oem instead of just some parts of the cooling system with aftermarket? Would that give me the same result? I have no idea how old the water pump, radiator, and thermostat are.

4.3LXJ
05-24-2014, 03:23 PM
My opinion for what it is worth is that if the water pump is in good shape, then it will flow much more coolant than what thermostat will allow anyway. The only time I would use one is if you were running under drive pulleys and if you did a large amount of idling in hot conditions

Kellson
05-24-2014, 07:18 PM
Sounds a bit safer. I'll go ahead and replace the pump with oem now since I'm doing the belt.
Thanks!

Kellson
05-24-2014, 07:46 PM
Also, while on the subject, has anyone installed an aftermarket temp gauge? Right now I just have the not-very-helpful light one.

4.3LXJ
05-24-2014, 07:54 PM
You can replace that idiot light with the stock gauge cluster easily. Complete bolt in. You must change the temperature sensor and the oil pressure sensor too

Kellson
05-25-2014, 01:49 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of a 3-gauge cluster on the A-pillar.

Kellson
05-25-2014, 01:52 AM
Or 2.

4.3LXJ
05-25-2014, 09:17 AM
I have installed lots of them, but not on an XJ