PDA

View Full Version : Input welcomed.

Philxj4L
05-23-2014, 09:22 AM
Ok, my legs are becoming more unreliable recently, if I can't stand, I can't get into the Jeep, and I'm NOT havin that !
Here's the thinking.
A compact winch (one of the 1000lbs jobs) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-ELECTRIC-WINCH-2000LB-REMOTE-CONTROL-QUAD-BOAT-ATV-/130437160383?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item1e5ea91dbf
Mounted on the roof, between the roof rail and the rain gutter, I can then use it to get me up to the seat height from the wheelchair. Simplez. :D
Questions.
A) would the roof be strong enough at that point to support aprox 150-160 lb
B) any other mount point suggestions.

bluedragon436
05-23-2014, 10:12 AM
I would say that would be a pretty neat idea.. I think the roof might be strong enough to do it a few times, but then thing it'd start to stress the mounting point and pull through.. I would think if you could find some way to reinforce the portion of the roof that you plan to use as a mounting surface for the winch, and kind of spread out the stress and pulling forces on the roof, you might be alright.. I'm sure here in a bit once everyone wakes up there will be some more input and ideas to help keep you going with your Jeep!!

prerunner1982
05-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Maybe mount it to a nice strong roof rack? A good exo cage would be the best I think, but that would be quite a bit of $$$

4.3LXJ
05-23-2014, 10:30 AM
Sorry to hear about the legs. Yes, you could do that. This is a good excuse to get a really good roof rack to attach it to. I am not sure what is available for you in the UK, but one with six mounting points on the gutter would do it nicely.

XJ Wheeler
05-23-2014, 04:33 PM
If you wanted to do this without a roof rack... In my head i picture it braced across to the passenger side gutter and like James said wide to spread the load on the drivers side. At least a foot wide. Two bars connecting both sides.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

cpttuna
05-23-2014, 10:51 PM
assuming you are in a wheel chair, would it be possible for you to hook the steering wheel with a cane and pull yourself out of the wheelchair?

Philxj4L
05-24-2014, 05:34 AM
Yeah, I'm in a chair, I can stand when I'm getting out, but my legs are gettin to the stage where I can't stand up from the chair. With 3" of lift and 31s there's just too much height difference to allow me to pull myself up into the Jeep. A roof rack would be the simple way out, but I've a lot of hardware on the roof that would need moved to allow a rack.
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a519/Philxj4L/2B06E48E-0C69-4057-A241-B89846D847F8_zpsslanlxhm.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/Philxj4L/media/2B06E48E-0C69-4057-A241-B89846D847F8_zpsslanlxhm.jpg.html)
I'd love an exo cage, but would be a lot of money.
A UK based jeep forum has suggested some plate to brace the roof for the winch, and a mount that ties into the rain gutter for the fair lead. It's simple & easy to sort, and should give the required strength for the job.
In my book, it don't need to be pretty, it just needs to work. :D

Mudderoy
05-24-2014, 06:13 AM
Ok, my legs are becoming more unreliable recently, if I can't stand, I can't get into the Jeep, and I'm NOT havin that !
Here's the thinking.
A compact winch (one of the 1000lbs jobs) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-ELECTRIC-WINCH-2000LB-REMOTE-CONTROL-QUAD-BOAT-ATV-/130437160383?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item1e5ea91dbf
Mounted on the roof, between the roof rail and the rain gutter, I can then use it to get me up to the seat height from the wheelchair. Simplez. :D
Questions.
A) would the roof be strong enough at that point to support aprox 150-160 lb
B) any other mount point suggestions.

Yes I would say a minimal exo-cage would be the thing but I'm not sure what the laws in your country would allow.

Damn sorry to hear you're having trouble getting in your Jeep!

4.3LXJ
05-24-2014, 09:35 AM
Phil, this is getting to be a mental challenge for me. Again I am sorry this is happening to you. But I think the roof rack is the way to go and make it look decent. Another route is to put the winch on the inside down between the seat and the lower door rail is. I think there is enough room there. Use synthetic line, some good kite line like they use for the large wind socks would do it. Then hook a small block to the rail above the door. There is enough strength there for a grab handle. Some models, like mine have one there. If you have just an eye there with a carabeener hook for the block, you could unhook it when driving and hook it back up when you exit easily. Just a thought, and it is the easiest and won't change the looks of that nice looking Jeep

Philxj4L
05-25-2014, 04:08 AM
Phil, this is getting to be a mental challenge for me. Again I am sorry this is happening to you. But I think the roof rack is the way to go and make it look decent. Another route is to put the winch on the inside down between the seat and the lower door rail is. I think there is enough room there. Use synthetic line, some good kite line like they use for the large wind socks would do it. Then hook a small block to the rail above the door. There is enough strength there for a grab handle. Some models, like mine have one there. If you have just an eye there with a carabeener hook for the block, you could unhook it when driving and hook it back up when you exit easily. Just a thought, and it is the easiest and won't change the looks of that nice looking Jeep

Like your thinkin :) hadn't thought about an inside mount point. I'm pretty sure that would work. Thanks for that, I'm off to do some looking and measuring. :D

cpttuna
05-25-2014, 05:47 AM
What about an inside mounting point that goes through the floor on the passenger side?

4.3LXJ
05-25-2014, 09:10 AM
Like your thinkin :) hadn't thought about an inside mount point. I'm pretty sure that would work. Thanks for that, I'm off to do some looking and measuring. :D

Just thinking some more. You could use a block and tackle (multiple pulleys) and just pull yourself with the line with your arms. Then you will only be out about $30 for everything

Philxj4L
07-04-2014, 04:42 AM
Thanks for all the input and suggestions guys. Quick update.
I had a good look at what would/could work for me and the xj, roof mounting is the position that is most workable. Due to the unique way MS works (or f***s ya over) an electric winch is the only relyable method of gettin up to seat height.
At random times MS can leave me with very little strength in my arms.
The company I git the main winch (13,000lbs X series) had 'small' 2,500lbs winches in stock at real good money, then eBay sent me a £20 discount code,so that was used :) full specs are
2,500lbs line pull, 1HP permanent magnet motor, wired and twin wireless remotes, winch mount plate and fairlead. Also got free next day delivery. All in it cost just under $99. I took a trip to the local engineering shop and got then to cut and drill a plate to match the main mount plate so the roof skin can be sandwiched between the two to help brace and spread the wieght. Just need to get it fitted now. :)
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a519/Philxj4L/40541E23-A1E2-4A8F-920C-722775C9B36A_zpsuj12or57.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/Philxj4L/media/40541E23-A1E2-4A8F-920C-722775C9B36A_zpsuj12or57.jpg.html)

Brasscatz
07-04-2014, 07:50 AM
Very nice mate, I'll be excited to see how this thing works for ya!

WhiteDevil1311
07-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Inside the roof, see about further strength thru cross bars, they dont have to be obtrusive and should fit under the stock headliner if you measure right. Or install a roll bar inside behind the seats and utilize that for a full truck anchor.

My father has SCA-7 its a gentical form of MS that well its an ataxia and while he is pushing 60 and its only shown its ugly face in the past 8-10 years he has had to crash course the mobility thing. I wish you great luck and success in adapting to your condition.