PDA

View Full Version : For those relocating battery under back seat. what size?

rabies
05-21-2014, 09:58 AM
if anyone has done this what battery did you use to fit under the back seat?

that whole area is rusty on mine. so either wirewheel and bedline it and get a battery to fit.
or il use the stock battery (too tall) and cut a hole to fit and make a drop pan (weld in)
leave the venting of the battery to me...:patriot:

anyone have pics. would be nice to see a bunch of dif setups (battery relocations. not dual battery setups that is)

NW99XJ
05-21-2014, 10:01 AM
I havent seen or heard of this before, but an Optima "Style" battery would be the ideal choice. You wouldn't want to use a lead acid battery for this.
Be sure to post up lots of pics and a detailed write up of this as you go... I bet there's gonna be a lot of people interested in this mod!!!

4.3LXJ
05-21-2014, 10:30 AM
I have thought about this a number of times and was going to do that mod this summer. That is until I was informed I needed my back seat intact this summer for a family vacation. But there is limited space under the back seat. If you are going to keep the floor board intact, there are two routes you can use. If you are going to run a single battery, the Optima Yellowtop D31A turned on its side is the narrowest single battery available in 12V. It is 6.5" wide and is a high amp battery. The only other option is two Optima 6V batteries in series turned on their sides, which would fit nicely and require no floor board mods.

rabies
05-21-2014, 01:59 PM
found this. but its prolly a dual setup because there are several other componets
http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad277/rick_rabies/XJ%20Jeep/8312a97471832a44b0df0f607318c082.jpg (http://s943.photobucket.com/user/rick_rabies/media/XJ%20Jeep/8312a97471832a44b0df0f607318c082.jpg.html)

NW99XJ
05-21-2014, 02:08 PM
The only other option is two Optima 6V batteries in series turned on their sides, which would fit nicely and require no floor board mods.
Optima Red Top 6V Starting Battery
800 CCA
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419V5iv%2BJcL.jpg

I DIDNT THINK ABOUT THAT!
Good suggestion Steve!... that WOULD work quite well I think, and look pretty cool too. Wired in series the CCA's SHOULD remain the same as well... If there's room, I wonder if one could fit 4x 6V batteries under the back seat, wired in series as pairs.
Eliminate any batteries under the hood altogether.
It would be an expensive mod, but well worth the space gained if the system could handle the draw of things like a winch, etc.

gary63
05-21-2014, 09:25 PM
I think Optima makes batteries for motorcycle batterys they would be smaller you may have to use two or three. just a thought.

ekaybe
05-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Yeah an automotive battery will never fit under the backseat. I'd just make a battery box in the back. I personally keep most of my tools and what not under the backseat along with my tow strap and factory jack and such. It would make much more sense for me personally just to make a battery box in the back. Either way you're going to have less space. Just my opinion.