PDA

View Full Version : Help Death Wobble!

XjWoofy801
05-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Hi lady's and gentleman
I have a death wobble problem that just wont go away! i have done everything i can think of, I have a RE 5.5"(sits at 6.5") lift, i have replaced my upper control arms and bushings, i have ajustible lowers that are new with brand new bushings, i put in brand new Alloy USA balljoints, i also converted over to the gm 1 ton steering and it is brand new as well, i also have brand new 285/75/16 wrangler MTR's, but what stumps me is that after i lifted my jeep and it still had the stock tires on it which were 235/75/15 i didnt have death wobble. i also have checked my caster and it is within spec so im totally stumped and i even rotated my tires to see if that would help.

Mudderoy
05-21-2014, 01:42 AM
Hi lady's and gentleman
I have a death wobble problem that just wont go away! i have done everything i can think of, I have a RE 5.5"(sits at 6.5") lift, i have replaced my upper control arms and bushings, i have ajustible lowers that are new with brand new bushings, i put in brand new Alloy USA balljoints, i also converted over to the gm 1 ton steering and it is brand new as well, i also have brand new 285/75/16 wrangler MTR's, but what stumps me is that after i lifted my jeep and it still had the stock tires on it which were 235/75/15 i didnt have death wobble. i also have checked my caster and it is within spec so im totally stumped and i even rotated my tires to see if that would help.

If you have a few minutes listen to this excellent explanation of death wobble from Steve, 4.3LXJ

http://www.xjtalkshow.com/index.php/2014/01/rb-002-steve-4-3lxj-death-wobble/

Tires/wheels balanced, track bar play. I'd chock the wheels, engine off and get someone to turn the steering wheel back and forth. You watch for any slight movements in the tie rod ends, or movement in the track bar that doesn't look right.

It was extremely easy for me to find on our 99 XJ and 03 TJ. I replaced all the tie rod ends, the drag link and track bar on both. I figured if the track bar TRE was worn out it was likely one of the other TREs would be bad soon.

No more death wobble on either. Oh and they were both aligned, tires balanced and rotated after the front end work.

slvmart
05-21-2014, 07:56 AM
Also make sure that the u-joints on the front drive axles are in good shape.

4.3LXJ
05-21-2014, 11:51 AM
One question. Did yo get a wheel alignment after you installed the lift?