PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here

slipinkramer
05-20-2014, 10:09 PM
Howdy,

I'm here because I discovered the podcast several weeks ago and love it! Its filled with REAL off road information that's hard to find elsewhere. I've been working my way backwards through the episodes; I'm listening to #86 right now. Tony and Josh, you guys are to be commended on the quality of show that you produce week in and week out. I work in Radio and know that its not easy what you're doing. You make it sound easy, but it's hard as heck. You guys rock!

I do have a Jeep that I drive and wheel a lot. Its not exactly a Cherokee. Well, it is a Cherokee... but only if your'e in Brazil or Venezuela or some other third world country. Up here in the good ol' US of A we call it by another name...

XJ Wheeler
05-21-2014, 12:43 AM
Welcome to the site Paul. Glad you've been enjoying the show, been on a few times myself and if you want it is recorded Thursdays at 10pm central and you can call in and be on as well. If you want. ;)

Not an issue not having an XJ. I assume you have a Liberty then? One of our moderators actually has a last gen. Let us know more about it when ya can and post up a pic.

Mudderoy
05-21-2014, 01:34 AM
Howdy,

I'm here because I discovered the podcast several weeks ago and love it! Its filled with REAL off road information that's hard to find elsewhere. I've been working my way backwards through the episodes; I'm listening to #86 right now. Tony and Josh, you guys are to be commended on the quality of show that you produce week in and week out. I work in Radio and know that its not easy what you're doing. You make it sound easy, but it's hard as heck. You guys rock!

I do have a Jeep that I drive and wheel a lot. Its not exactly a Cherokee. Well, it is a Cherokee... but only if your'e in Brazil or Venezuela or some other third world country. Up here in the good ol' US of A we call it by another name...

Ahhh the Liberty! :D Welcome to the site. Thank you for all the kind words about the show. It was hard to keep going with few downloads and the commitment of doing the show week after week. Before I washed my hands and called it a foolish experiment I tried reaching out to the :xjtalk: membership for anyone that might want to join the show. Josh chimed in and turned out he was a natural. Now for me personally the show is much more fun.

With segments from Steve, 4.3lxj, and at least one voice mail a week from NickyG we have a good regular group contributing. Now Rob with the Wrangler segment, and Jon, Prerunner1982 with his Radio Com Tech segments, lets just say it's a dream come true.

Hopefully we'll keep getting voice mails and even more involvement from people willing to jump in and do a segment here and there, or every week!

Oh I should warn you, as you work back Josh will be gone and it will just be me droning on for an hour! :D

slipinkramer
05-21-2014, 08:02 AM
Thanks guys,

Yeah, its a Liberty. A 2004 4x4 with the 3.7 liter V6 gas engine and a 5 speed transmission. I bought it a couple of years ago off an Acura dealer lot with only 30,000 miles on the clock. It had been traded in and was pretty much like new and priced right. They were having trouble selling it since most soccer moms don't want a 5 speed. I, on the other hand, only want a 5 speed :driving:

At the time I had another Liberty that I had purchased new in 2003, it was also a 4x4 with a 5 speed but that one had the 4 cylinder Power Tech gas engine. I moved my off road mods over from that worn out 2003 KJ to the newer 2004 KJ I'd bought lightly used and then sold the 2003. I had driven it 300,000 miles in 10 years and had just incredible, reliable service from it. I'm hoping that the newer KJ will serve as well :thumbsup: The mods are:

SuperWinch on a Detours Backbone
Rocker Slider Guards from Rocky Road Outfitters
Curtis Class 3 Rear Receiver
About a 3" Lift from Rusty's
31" BFG Rugged Trail tires
Rear Aussie Locker
Front Detroit TrueTrac limited slip

slipinkramer
05-21-2014, 08:12 AM
Here are some pics:

bluedragon436
05-21-2014, 08:21 AM
:welcome: to :xjtalk: from Delaware!! That is a nicely setup KJ.. And think as usual that the Detours Backbone looks good on there, and looks as if the KJ came from the factory equipped with that...

slipinkramer
05-21-2014, 08:33 AM
Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that I've never been as happy with any Jeep mod as I have been with the Detours KJ Backbone winch mount system. I've been yankin' and winchin' with it for 4 years now. It't strong as hell, brilliantly designed and engineered and WAY less expensive that the Australian, big iron, Camel Trophy wannabee, poser winch bumpers I see on other KJs around here in California.

EekGirl96
05-21-2014, 08:42 AM
Welcome to the forum Paul!!! Glad to have yeah :)

Nice looking kj you got there!!!! I have a kk (newer Libby) and I like it (had an Xj but had to let her go but the Libby is just as capable!!)

slipinkramer
05-21-2014, 09:23 AM
Hi KeeGirl and thanks!

The stock Liberty is almost 800 lbs heavier than a stock Cherokee and that's something to consider. It can be a good thing off-road but more often its not.

KJs have an aluminum cased Dana 30a front differential and that requires some care while wheeling. If abused harshly, it can crack with devastating results. Of course, any Dana 30 is pretty weak and needs to be driven with respect off-road, but the 30a is even more susceptible to breakage when subjected to an abusive wheeler.

KJs and KKs have independent front suspension and that's not generally well respected among off-road enthusiasts. I have found that IFS has its ups and downs (no pun intended) but overall, I find it works fine off-road.

I’ve noticed that our fearless leader Mudderoy isn’t fond of the Jeep Liberty. If memory serves he likened it to a new generation Volkswagen Beetle :sad0147: Well, to each his own! I just thought I’d list some reasons why you all might consider giving the KJ and KK a break... Maybe, just maybe its a decent ride and a worthy off-road rig...

Here are the six reasons:

1) It’s NOT a 2014 Jeep Cherokee!
2) All KJs and KKs came from the factory with at least 2 cup holders!
3) Death Wobble doesn’t seem to exist on any KJ or KK except those that have undergone a SFA conversion.
4) They all left the factory with a Chrysler 8.25“ rear differential with 29 splines.
5) When you break your rear axle, the factory standard disk brakes will hold the wheel on the rig while you limp off the trail.
6) It’s NOT a 2014 Jeep Cherokee!

EekGirl96
05-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Well that was an interesting read, thanks for that :)

Libby's are great little jeeps, they can be "done up" too (and they look bad a$$) I haven't had a problem with mine Offroad and I've pushed her to and past her limits.

NW99XJ
05-21-2014, 09:41 AM
reasons 1 and 4 are my favorite!
We got a few libbys of that generation up here that are built up a bit, one guy has some extensive bumper work done on his and (what appears to be)33's... prob one of the nicest ones I've seen... I typically pass em in one commute or another a few times a month, I'll see if I can be quick on the draw next time with the camera and snap a pic of one of em.
Anyways, welcome to the site man, glad to have ya!

slipinkramer
05-21-2014, 10:05 AM
Thanks Josh,

33s are a real challenge to stuff under a KJ because of the tight fender wells. I'm told its easier on a KK.

I have all the lift I can tolerate on my Liberty because I have an aversion to getting overly tippy on the trail. Unfortunately, with 3" of lift, 32" tires is about the limit.

BTW, I listened with great interest to your report on your trip to The Rubicon. It made me resolve to get there later this season!

slipinkramer
05-21-2014, 10:21 AM
KeeGirl,

It sounds like you don't mind getting your KK dirty! Does your rig have the electronic traction control? I've heard its a great asset off road.

EekGirl96
05-21-2014, 10:26 AM
KeeGirl,

It sounds like you don't mind getting your KK dirty! Does your rig have the electronic traction control? I've heard its a great asset off road.

I don't, she's already got some battle scars :)

And yes she does