PDA

View Full Version : Cluster swap

altonamud
05-20-2014, 08:29 AM
I have a 98 xj sport, can i change my cluster so i have gauges instead of warning lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

finneys98xj
05-20-2014, 10:22 AM
Yes you may need a new temp and oil sensor too but easy swap.

XJ Wheeler
05-20-2014, 03:22 PM
Yes, and of course you'll need one from a '97-'01. Also, as stated the coolant temp and oil pressure sending units. These need to be specific for gauges, not lights, there is a difference.

Be sure to note the mileage on your old cluster and new one at the time of swapping them so you can keep track of the real mileage.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

altonamud
05-20-2014, 05:04 PM
Is there a DIY on this swap?

abebehrmann
05-20-2014, 05:14 PM
I've actually been researching this for a while and this seems to be the best write-up I could find.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/97-xj-gauge-cluster-swap-write-up-how-752630/

From all my research you don't have to change out any sensors on the 97+ XJs but I have never done it myself so I can't verify. Actually planning on going to the junkyard next weekend to pull one and see if I can get the dealership to reprogram the mileage for a reasonable price before installing it in mine.

altonamud
05-20-2014, 05:24 PM
I need a cluster to try so i can verify if it works

XJ Wheeler
05-20-2014, 06:50 PM
I've actually been researching this for a while and this seems to be the best write-up I could find.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/97-xj-gauge-cluster-swap-write-up-how-752630/

From all my research you don't have to change out any sensors on the 97+ XJs but I have never done it myself so I can't verify. Actually planning on going to the junkyard next weekend to pull one and see if I can get the dealership to reprogram the mileage for a reasonable price before installing it in mine.

My apologies then. I know they have to be swapped on the '96- and assumed the same for the newer ones. Thanks for clarifying Abe!

I gotta get another xj, '97+ so i can get proper info for you guys! :D

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

4.3LXJ
05-20-2014, 07:01 PM
That is correct. 97+ is strictly drive by wire. So all you need to do is get the cluster and install it

nickxj94
05-22-2014, 07:18 PM
I did this on my 2000xj and didn't have to change any sensors.

nickxj94
05-22-2014, 07:22 PM

You have to install it for them to reprogram it. And its not cheap either, I worked there and it was going to run $60 so i just left mine with the mileage it had. I'm not going to sell it anytime soon:)

Joliet Johnny
05-28-2014, 10:42 AM
Ive read you may run into an issue where everything works but the liftgate light stays illuminated. The simple fix for this is to remove the bulb.
You can also take the cluster from a TJ.

altonamud
05-28-2014, 12:14 PM
My lift-gate light is on now, maybe it was swapped for the waring light style LOL