PDA

View Full Version : A/C help

xj94
05-19-2014, 02:03 PM
I picked up the kit to convert the r12 a couple of years ago and a/c was ice cold until last week when it stopped working.I took it to the a/c pros and they found that the a/c access ports both seized not allowing any freon to go in and possible cause of leak.I checked the stealership and they don't stock the valve fittings for the r12 compressor. any idea where i can pick them up

4.3LXJ
05-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Generally if an access port is faulty on a R12 system, you can pull the valve core and replace it. Pretty cheap really and only requires a valve core tool that is the same as for tires. You aren't talking about King Valves are you? Maybe you need to post pics.

xj94
05-19-2014, 10:08 PM
Generally if an access port is faulty on a R12 system, you can pull the valve core and replace it. Pretty cheap really and only requires a valve core tool that is the same as for tires. You aren't talking about King Valves are you? Maybe you need to post pics.

the valve core isn't the problem, the R12 valve fitting has a open and shut valve screw that's frozen

4.3LXJ
05-19-2014, 10:12 PM
Those are called King Valves. IIRC, they are left hand thread. Turn to the right like you would tighten them

xj94
05-19-2014, 10:29 PM
Those are called King Valves. IIRC, they are left hand thread. Turn to the right like you would tighten them

guess the "a/c pro" at pepboys skip that part of the class. that why he told me both valves were frozen. so to recharge the system it must be turn right to open it to accept freon?

4.3LXJ
05-19-2014, 10:39 PM
Yes, you hook up your device then open the valve to charge on the suction line, the big one

xj94
05-20-2014, 12:41 AM
Yes, you hook up your device then open the valve to charge on the suction line, the big one

thought the big one was the high side and the freon goes in on the small one beneath it.Gotta get this figured out not too thrilled with my choice of A/C techs around here.Either was have to get a can of dye,gotta find the leak

4.3LXJ
05-20-2014, 09:34 AM
The small line is the pressure side and it goes to the condenser coil in front if the radiator. The large line, the suction line goes from the evaporator coil inside the cabin to the compressor. If you charge it, it has to be from this line while the compressor is running. There is a little green sight glass on the canister on your frame. You want to charge that until the little bubbles you see going past it are very few. If you do not have any it will be over charged