PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Rear Differential Plug - You gotta be kidding!

Red Octopus
05-12-2014, 07:07 AM
I've got a 1999 XJ with a (from the build sheet) 'Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle' - It has come to my attention that the plug in the differential is plastic !
Now I'm nervous, I mean really? A plastic plug is all that's between me and a total breakdown? :pray:
So, I'm asking is there an aftermarket alternative? Something more secure?:bang:
HELP a vet, please!!!

Carves
05-12-2014, 07:13 AM
Cheapskates huh ??

:D

Never had an issue with either XJ with 8.25s.

There are aftermarket, heavyduty diff hats available, with screw in bungs - if you're looking to upgrade.

Brasscatz
05-12-2014, 08:12 AM
Carves just likes saying "screw in bung hole"

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

bluedragon436
05-12-2014, 08:31 AM
I never had any issue with my 8.25 and haven't seen anyone making any comments about it with all my research on different things for my Jeep and other Jeeps I worked on over the years... But as stated above, there are a few aftermarket metal covers that have metal screw in plugs you can pick up... I think if you were to hit anything or do anything that would cause that plastic plug to cause you a breakdown.. you have probably smashed the cover down to the gears at which time it's probably bent up and leaking around the edge anyways.. Honestly unless you are doing some really hardcore rock crawling or bashing through the woods... at which time I would recommend a stronger aftermarket option anyways.. you should be just fine with the factory plug..

XJ Wheeler
05-12-2014, 03:40 PM
Ya know i just thought about this a few days ago. I already have a heavy duty aftermarket cover for it but while searching for jeep parts :D... i noticed the chrome replacement covers had the metal bolt style plug. At just $25 its not too bad, if you can stand the chrome. :p

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Red Octopus
05-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Chrome! Threaded plug! . . . . and only $25 WoW
Like when I was younger (a while ago) we used to say "If it don't go chrome it!"
Thanks I'll go look for one - Have a beer on me . . . .:beer:

abebehrmann
05-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Like when I was younger (a while ago) we used to say "If it don't go chrome it!"
Thanks I'll go look for one - Have a beer on me . . . .:beer:

Lol, my dad always told me, "Chrome won't get you home"

prerunner1982
05-12-2014, 08:40 PM
250K+ miles and no problem with my rear plug.....ummm wait, not sure that sounded right.

XJ Wheeler
05-12-2014, 09:03 PM
If you think that is cheap... Ford made the whole diff cover plastic on the Bronco II! Learned that one real fast with a wire wheel.