PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure Sensor

Spike3
05-11-2014, 07:32 PM
So I was changing my oil today and when I went to change the oil filter and got a little too careless when I used the wrench to remove it. The picture shows the sensor after the fact. When I was idling the engine to let the oil warm up to make sure I put enough in, I put a paper towel under it to make sure no oil was coming out. The rag was clean. But when I took it for a drive around the block and came back into the garage, I noticed that there was a trail of drips behind me and when I popped the hood I saw that it was dripping where it was cracked.
I'm wondering what I cracked and how I can fix it. I noticed it is part of a wire harness so I was thinking of going to the pick n pull tomorrow to get a new sensor but cut plenty of wire in order to have room to solder wires together. Either that or glue it back together but it's dirty and oily there so I wouldn't trust it.
Thanks for your help! This is my DD so I'm hoping to get it back into commission tomorrow night.

Sneedle Vision
05-11-2014, 08:36 PM
If you have a bad sensor, you can just pop off that wiring harness and the sensor unscrews from it's place. No need for soldering wires, just FYI.

Spike3
05-11-2014, 08:39 PM
How big is the wiring harness because I saw that it goes under the transfer case

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Spike3
05-11-2014, 08:41 PM
I was thinking of just cutting the sensor out and soldering a new one in if the harness was really big

bigjim350
05-11-2014, 08:55 PM
The sensor unplugs right there at the end. The piece your holding in your hand. There is no need to find the other end of the harness.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Spike3
05-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Thanks I didn't notice there's a plug. That makes my life way easier

nickyg
05-11-2014, 11:17 PM
I did the same thing.... twice. Who knows why Jeep engineers put it in such a place? I grabbed a spare one from the pick and pull for the next time. but I think they're 20 bucks or so new.
I little advice clean, the hole with a pipe cleaner or a small wire, You'll get a more accurate oil reading

Spike3
05-12-2014, 09:39 AM
I did the same thing.... twice. Who knows why Jeep engineers put it in such a place? I grabbed a spare one from the pick and pull for the next time. but I think they're 20 bucks or so new.
I little advice clean, the hole with a pipe cleaner or a small wire, You'll get a more accurate oil reading

It's ridiculous that it blocks off access to the filter. I'm going to do the same and pick up two today in case it happens again. I'm so happy it's a quick and easy fix and I can just plug the wires in instead of having to solder it.

Firemanray
05-12-2014, 07:31 PM
I've done that numerous times. I bought a "lifetime" warranty sending unit. Now when I mess up I just screw it out and go exchange it. The last oil change I accidently bumped it and the plastic part came off of the sender, I just pushed it back on and it's still working (for now).

Spike3
05-12-2014, 07:47 PM
I've done that numerous times. I bought a "lifetime" warranty sending unit. Now when I mess up I just screw it out and go exchange it. The last oil change I accidently bumped it and the plastic part came off of the sender, I just pushed it back on and it's still working (for now).

That's smart. I was thinking of ordering a new one but I'll just keep the one I got at the junk yard today. I can just unscrew it and put some new Teflon tape on it next time I do a change. Got it off a 94 that was smashed up in the front so it was likely a write off and not just a dead Jeep.

Got to drive my friends Jeep Patriot to work and whatnot today and I'm happy as hell I'll be driving my XJ again tomorrow hahaha.

Spike3
05-13-2014, 06:58 PM
I noticed that the old sender was plugged up and I could actually see the centre orifice in the replacement so I'm guessing that the oil pressure gauge is actually giving me accurate readings now.
What is the "normal" pressure to be seen.
I don't know if I put a bit too much oil in but it's slightly higher than the safe mark but I just checked it when I got home so the engine was hot. I'll check later when it cools a bit. I got a reading near the centre (3 bar, 40 psi) when cruising, and a little below 1.5 bar (20 psi) when idling. Are those normal values? The only other vehicle I've driven with an oil gauge that I paid attention to was a one ton diesel truck and it moved a lot under acceleration, but I'm not sure if that is normal with the 4.0.

Edit: After reading around I've found that these are all normal and follow the 10 psi per 1000 rpm rule. Happy I changed the sender now and get the fluctuating values. Before it was just pegged at 3 bar (40 psi) and would barely move off whether idling or accelerating.

nickyg
05-13-2014, 09:51 PM
when it's cold I get a steady 40, when it's up to operating temp. I get 20 at idle 40 when I run down the road.