PDA

View Full Version : Jeep with Lexus V8

Country Jeeper
05-10-2014, 01:13 PM
I had a Lexus V8 installed in my '98 XJ Country.

The best mod ever done to my Jeep. Used Lexus motor, gearbox and computer box. The Lexus comp box piggy bag on the jeep comp box. So the Lexus gearbox and motor doesn't even realise it is in a jeep now. Low down torque is amazing and good for anything. It is about 50% increase on horse power as well.

abebehrmann
05-10-2014, 01:21 PM
This is awesome! You have any more pics?

KMW-NWXJ
05-10-2014, 01:22 PM
That's awesome! Need more info though!

What was the donor vehicle? Year, model, etc?
Did you happen to weigh both drive trains to compare?
How long did the swap take? And what modifications were needed? Looks like a tight fit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Country Jeeper
05-10-2014, 01:44 PM
This is awesome! You have any more pics?

Not really, but is there anything specific you want to see? I will take some and post.

Country Jeeper
05-10-2014, 02:30 PM

How long did the swap take? And what modifications were needed? Looks like a tight fit.

The engine used is the 1UZ–FE engine and is a V–8, 4.0–liter, 32–valve DOHC engine designed exclusively for the luxury LS400 sedan.
Incorporating the state–of–the–art technology, this engine implements high–speed performance and utility at a high
level providing an exciting feeling of a very smooth acceleration response to the pedal operation. With thorough
analysis, design and precisely controlled manufacturing, major component parts have been improved to achieve very
low vibration and noise level.
The engine operation is accurately–controlled by the ECU (Electronic Control Unit) and maintains peak performance
and efficiency at all times.

These engines are imported into South Africa by the container loads and mine had done 93 000 km (=/- 60 000 miles).

I did not weigh the drive trains but the front end is standing about 5 mm (1/4 inch ) higher.

The swap took about 3 months active work, but my Shrekkie (XJ) was standing for about 8 months (nice to have other vehicles to keep you going).

Mods needed:
1. new propshafts
2. swop battery and air filter
3. I installed the lexus radiator (jeep radiator should be fine)
4. new engine mountings (of cause)
5. new exhaust - 63 mm (2 1/2")
6. the cruise control and rev counter still dead, will get it going when I have time again.

It is a tight fit all over and you need the short exhaust manifolds because the XJ is very narrow.

Country Jeeper
05-10-2014, 02:31 PM

I also had a bigger oil cooler fitted for the auto Lexus gearbox

cantab27
05-10-2014, 04:15 PM
v8 in a jeep ...yeah baby......................:D:D:D

do ya wheel it or is it a street only ride .......nice job on the conversion

bruggz351
05-11-2014, 02:09 AM
We had a bloke in Aus do this, but his was a diesel model. I'll try to find the thread...

;edit;
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103964

try that....

XJ Wheeler
05-11-2014, 03:22 AM
Sweet build! Any engine swap is a daunting task but I don't doubt this was a step above on the difficulty level!

Cheromaniac
05-11-2014, 06:14 AM
I had a Lexus V8 installed in my '98 XJ Country.

The best mod ever done to my Jeep. Used Lexus motor, gearbox and computer box. The Lexus comp box piggy bag on the jeep comp box. So the Lexus gearbox and motor doesn't even realise it is in a jeep now. Low down torque is amazing and good for anything. It is about 50% increase on horse power as well.

Kudos to you for swapping a Lexus 4.0L V8 into an XJ and making it work. It's nice to see something done outside the box.
My first choice V8 engine swap would still be a Chevy 5.7L LS1 given that they're plentiful & cheap in the Gulf (and also all-aluminium), but I guess that there are more Lexus engines available in RSA so naturally you'd work with what you have.
Great job. :thumbsup:

Country Jeeper
05-12-2014, 12:17 PM
We had a bloke in Aus do this, but his was a diesel model. I'll try to find the thread...

;edit;
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103964

try that....

No mods needed to my firewall, but I just remembered that I had to build a new sump to move the bowl part to the back, because the standard sump has the bowl in either the front or the middle.

NW99XJ
05-12-2014, 12:51 PM
this is amazing.
Great work.... got vids of it in action yet?

TheWeiss
05-21-2014, 09:08 AM
Super cool build. I love seeing something new. I second the request for more pics and some videos of the beast in action couldn't hurt. In particular, I'd be interested in any pictures that you have of the fitment. It seems pretty tight but it would be cool to see how it all fits within the available space.

HeartTheft
05-21-2014, 09:16 AM
I want to do this now... Maybe after I get my TJ I'll do an engine swap... Maybe. Me + fast Jeep = bad idea.

ArmyGuy45
05-22-2014, 11:59 PM
How does it cool?

Country Jeeper
05-23-2014, 03:36 AM
How does it cool?

No cooling problems, I installed the Lexus radiator, but the standard Jeep one should be okay. In actual fact it runs to cool to my liking when idling or crawling. Both the original fans are used as one i.e. they kick in and out as one.

Country Jeeper
05-23-2014, 03:37 AM
I will post some engine bay photos soon. Need to clean it first.

cantab27
05-23-2014, 03:32 PM
dirty pics are sweet as well.....just saying

rabies
05-26-2014, 02:17 AM
what tranfer case?
would b neat to see a video of all the partS. above and under engine etc

Country Jeeper
05-26-2014, 11:47 AM
what tranfer case?
would b neat to see a video of all the partS. above and under engine etc

Standard Jeep XJ transfer case

bluedragon436
05-26-2014, 12:04 PM
First that is an awesome setup.. The 1UZ-FE engine is a very capable engine, and there is actually a few upgrades/mods out there for that engine..

The engine used is the 1UZ–FE engine and is a V–8, 4.0–liter, 32–valve DOHC engine designed exclusively for the luxury LS400 sedan.

Second, the 1UZ-FE in the US came in a few different model Lexus vehicles at least in the states & a the Toyota versions of these vehicles for the foreign markets.. for anyone else thinking about possibly taking on this kind of swap ( I know I'd love too if I had the knowledge and money)...

1989–2000 Lexus LS 400/Toyota Celsior
1989–2002 Toyota Crown/Toyota Crown Majesta
1991–2000 Lexus SC 400/Toyota Soarer
1992–2000 Lexus GS 400/Toyota Aristo

I only know about these engines and what can be done with them, since I was looking at picking up an SC400 and playing with it a bit, and massaging a bit more power out of it.. There are a few parts that can be used from other newer versions of this engine to massage a bit more power out of them, as well as a very limited aftermarket options, that aren't cheap due to them being limited... but heck, most modifications for the XJ are limited due to everyone wanting to support the Wranglers, and forgetting about the poor XJ's...

rabies
05-26-2014, 03:56 PM
the Lexus trans bolts right to np231 transfer case.???

Country Jeeper
05-27-2014, 04:05 AM
the Lexus trans bolts right to np231 transfer case.???

Rabies, no not that simple.

The Jeep gearbox with tranny and the Lexus gearbox was send to a proper top notch engineering shop and told to swop. They used 3D CAD to draw up everything and then manufactured the parts and "marry" the Lexus box with the Jeep tranny. This took 4 weeks to accomplish.

It came back laser aligned and tested on the bench. :bacondance:

prcjeep
05-28-2014, 11:25 PM
awaiting pictures! Sounds like an awesome swap and definitely thinking outside the box!