PDA

View Full Version : 15K Budget

Hopkins
05-05-2014, 05:16 PM
So I need some ideas on what other people would do with a 15K budget and a 98 XJ named Tiffy. As of right now she has HP30/8.25 4.0 AW4 3.55 gears 4 inch short arm lift and 33s. The build needs to be street legal and capable of being a DD. Also I don't have the equipment, space, or know how to do complicated labor so that has to be included in the budget also. I might be able to go as high as 20K as there is no firm budget. These are funds that will be coming in from my new business venture. I am stoked to see what some of you XJ experts recommend.

bluedragon436
05-05-2014, 05:25 PM
What are you looking to do with the XJ other then just DD use?? Depending in what your planned use of the built XJ would be as to what would be the best use of the non firm budget..

Hopkins
05-05-2014, 05:38 PM
What are you looking to do with the XJ other then just DD use?? Depending in what your planned use of the built XJ would be as to what would be the best use of the non firm budget..

Mostly mud and wooded trails with the XJ. Some beach action too as I am pretty close to the OBX where you can drive on the beach. Haha no jumping tho. Also I would be using the XJ for a lot of recoveries as part of my new business involves towing people out when they are stuck. The XJ needs to be reliable above anything else. I would love to run 37s, but am not sure that can be done with the budget. At least 35s tho.

Rocco83
05-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Oh the things you can do with 15k when you already have the XJ. 1 ton axles with lower gears, extra set of wheels/tires with bead locks, bigger lift, hydraulic steering, stroke your 4.0L or diesel conversion. How far is your commute with it? That factors in a bit with what you can do with it.

XJ Wheeler
05-05-2014, 06:27 PM
I would... make my dream xj. Turbo'd 4.7l stroker, 6 sp auto (if I can find a good candidate to adapt, 5 sp if not), Atlas t-case, 9" axles, 7" lift with rear coils (or coilovers not sure), 37" tires. Custom paint, interior, Led lighting, bumpers, tire carrier, tubing rockers, winch, cage... okay I may over shot it a little. :D

Rocco83
05-05-2014, 06:30 PM
15k seems like a lot more I guess when you don't have to factor in labor. I wouldn't really begin to know how much the stuff would be to do in a shop. I may have overshot it as well with labor costs.

Hopkins
05-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Haha you guys have some big dreams. Yah I am figuring that labor will take up approx. half the cost. That might be a little high if an estimate, but its better to be conservative and have money left over to spend. Its crazy how quickly the numbers add up when picking out parts. I have a general idea of what I want done, but wanted to see if anyone has any crazy cool ideas out there. I am thinking serious offroad long arm kit w/SYE, regear to 4.88s, chromo axle shafts, ARBs, and maybe the banks power pack?

Of course new wheels and tires also. How would built HP30 and 8.25 axles handle 37s? Is it a recipe for disaster?

Also the XJ doesn't have to commute as I have a work truck, but I still want to be able to enjoy her equally on road and off road.

Pookapotamus
05-05-2014, 07:30 PM
15k is not really that much, Clayton lift kit, nothing else comes remotely close to it lift wise, bead locks, tires, gears and all the little bits to make that work, then start armoring up, sliders, bumpers and a winch. And maybe have enough left over for a tank of gas.

Check out the link in my signature for some ideas.

And good luck with the build, post pics!!!

Rocco83
05-05-2014, 07:34 PM
I'm not sure if I'd want to run d30 and 8.25 with 37s personally. I'd think you could get something better for the money you would be them with. I don't know, around here I have a lot of places to get good axles cheap. If I was going to do a nice lift and big rubber, I'd definitely throw some better axles underneath.

XJMikey
05-05-2014, 07:57 PM
I'm not sure if I'd want to run d30 and 8.25 with 37s personally. I'd think you could get something better for the money you would be them with. I don't know, around here I have a lot of places to get good axles cheap. If I was going to do a nice lift and big rubber, I'd definitely throw some better axles underneath.

For what it would cost to build them to handle 37's and trail use, you could build/hang a Wagoneer HPD44 and Explorer F8.8" combo that would handle 40's.

rabies
05-06-2014, 12:33 PM
turbo diesal swap.....budget spent