PDA

View Full Version : I need a new muffler

jeepin_idaho
05-05-2014, 01:17 PM
My Flowmaster muffler is rusted out and needs to be replaced. I've been toying with he idea of getting something other than a muffler. What kind is everyone using? Anyone have experience with Magnaflow?

Dan
Typos courtesy of Tapatalk
http://the4x4podcast.com

Sneedle Vision
05-05-2014, 01:50 PM
The kit for XJs is pretty nice. Real solid build. The sound is slightly louder than stock, and has a little more growl. It doesn't drone or overpower on a stock XJ. Might sound a little different with larger tires.

jeepin_idaho
05-05-2014, 01:56 PM
The kit for XJs is pretty nice. Real solid build. The sound is slightly louder than stock, and has a little more growl. It doesn't drone or overpower on a stock XJ. Might sound a little different with larger tires.

I assume that you're talking about the Magnaflow kit? I'm on 35" mud tires with heim joints so I get a lot of road noise add it is.

Dan
Typos courtesy of Tapatalk
http://the4x4podcast.com

Sneedle Vision
05-05-2014, 02:44 PM
I assume that you're talking about the Magnaflow kit? I'm on 35" mud tires with heim joints so I get a lot of road noise add it is.

Yeah, the Magnaflow kit.

Also, the Flowmaster 10 series is a really mean sounding muffler. It's for "off-road use only", but it passed inspection everytime on my buddy's 4.0 WJ here in NC (until he sold it, that is).

4.3LXJ
05-05-2014, 03:54 PM
I run a Spintech muffler. Made out of aluminized 1/8" steel and is supposed to be the least back pressure of all true mufflers. They come in different noise levels. They are tough to say the least. Only drawback is that they have to be welded in

jschmidt250
05-05-2014, 04:27 PM
I run a Cherry Bomb

XJ Wheeler
05-05-2014, 04:58 PM
I run a magnaflow, and have for several years. Its got a nice tone off idle and up into the rpms. At idle i'd say it almost has a little bit of a diesel sound. And like Kurt said its a little louder than stock but doesn't get annoying on the highway.

I will say it was supposed to be a stainless muffler but has some rust spots on it, and didn't take long to form either.