PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Stricklin!!!

bluedragon436
05-01-2014, 11:34 PM
Hi Stricklin, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

Stricklin
05-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Hi all! I just bought my 93 XJ for dirt dirt cheap, scrap metal cheap. Only bad is a busted tcase which Im getting a good used one for $100 tomorrow and also has a bashed in passenger door. im happy with it, just gonna be a family trail ride is all. I have an import heads up drag race background and after many thousands invested and just trophies to show for it, I had to quit. A good buddy of mine is into jeeping and told me how affordable it can be after startup cost as long as I don't go hardcore. I purchased a Zone 4.5" kit that is going on Saturday, and got some used 31" BFG A/T that are basically wore out. I plan on purchasing some 15x8 black rims and bias ply 33 or 35" mud tires soon. After that, I don't want to really do too much more than just ride on some trails with my family and enjoy the scenery. Also the fenders will be cut a lot.

if anybody has advise let me know, I enjoy advise and I have a gut feeling my hardcoreness may come out soon, and I like to be educated. Anything else just ask.

XJ Wheeler
05-02-2014, 12:05 AM
Definitely affordable, especially a vehicle like the XJ. An all around great rig can be attained with really not a ton of mods, and it sounds like you already have a plan. But like you already mentioned... plans tend to grow. :D

Welcome to Xjtalk!

4.3LXJ
05-02-2014, 12:08 AM
Welcome Justin. Yes, this is much cheaper than drag racing. You can have a pretty nice rig for the price you are used to paying out for an engine. And yes, you will probably want to get somewhat hard core. But it can still be done on a budget

Stricklin
05-02-2014, 12:15 AM
Yeah counting the lift and new tcase Ill have under a grand in this rig, and AC WORKS! lol

Im shocked there is absolutely no oil leaks as well. I was anticipating an engine rebuild when I picked it up, but that's gone :( But one thing I like, its not about hp in this game!

I do have questions though, the tcase I am getting, any mods I can do now to save me in the future? Its a 231j. I don't have a welder but in a few weeks one of the best welders in the area, a friend of mine, is moving back to town.

Do I need frame stiffeners yet? Skid plates? Other items?

My wife is a scaredy cat and my kids are 4 and 1(on the 8th this month), so naturally Im not doing stupid stuff, it will get stupid when they get older or Im alone, which defeats why I got into this hobby, I want family time outside. Throw some suggestions out here for me, Im coming in this blind, and in return if you need advise on how to build a nasty drag import car that can break a couple state records like I have, I can repay you with that info :) Until then ill search all the articles on here.

4.3LXJ
05-02-2014, 12:21 AM
Even though I have frame stiffeners now, I wheeled mine a good 10 years without them. One of the secrets to not needing them is having a good flexy suspension to keep the forces down. The 231 is a good case. But a popular upgrade is a slip yoke eliminator, which is a good deal as far as I am concerned. There are several to choose from. But Advance Adapters has the best, with a heavier duty output shaft to go with those tall tires you will be running. I have Tom Woods shafts in mine and don't have to worry about twisting or bending them. Real beef there. But it all depends on the type of terrain you will be visiting

XJ Wheeler
05-02-2014, 12:30 AM
It can be endless, I am sure you know. Frame stiffeners are, in my opinion, a good idea on these. Not really necessary unless you are getting into that hardcore category but for the price they are cheap insurance.

Skid plates, again, always a great idea. You're basically protecting your investment. As well as making it easier to make it through certain obstacles by sliding versus getting hung up. Problem is, unless you make them, they are fairly expensive. The t-case skid is actually pretty easy to design and make. (depending on design of course) But the fuel tank skid is rather complicated, so that one is best purchased.

One of the main things you need to think about is what kind of terrain will this rig be cruising on? Streetable, on occasion, daily driver, or trailer queen? These two things will dictate some mods being needed or just a waste of money.

Stricklin
05-02-2014, 12:43 AM
It will only be drove when we go wheeling. Maximum trip would be a very rare 2hr drive. Average would be less than 50miles. I may use it to hunt Bald knob during duck season where a mud bigger is needed and that is 30minutes away. I'm just excited, were gonna go to Jeruselem to crawl next week but wife reminded me of Mother's Day an she would rather do something less entertaining lol.

Bein I have built 2 cars custom, I will probly brainstorm on things for the xj and post some DiY, but will only do when I see a practicality not because its cool. Basically drag racing if it didnt help me go faster or straight, I saw no need. I hate wasting money and time on things not needed.

XJ Wheeler
05-02-2014, 01:29 AM
That's not too much driving, but enough to keep it in mind. Stuff like keeping the front sway bar.

Give build threads and some companies that make parts for these a look. They ideas and knowledge will come. What works, what doesn't. Find what direction you might want to go with. There is practically endless ways you can build em, and in the last few years there has been some many places making parts that it continues to be difficult to pin down what to do. :D

4.3LXJ
05-02-2014, 09:27 AM
Justin, what part of the world do you live in? Jerusalem caught my attention

Stricklin
05-02-2014, 11:29 PM
Arkansas, that is a town north of me a ways. Haha we have that, Bethlehem, London, England, Paris, lol yeah real original. It's how we arkansas hill billies travel the world for cheap!

4.3LXJ
05-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Used to live not far from Detroit, Portland, Albany, Salem and Newport ………………………….OR :D