PDA

View Full Version : zj tie rod and drop pitman arm

rabies
04-29-2014, 10:06 AM
:bacondance:question:
i will be upgrading my tie rod to the ZJ tie rod
and putting a 3" lift on.
:bacondance:
i dont think the upgrade substitues for the drop pitman arm ??
will i still need to drop it? if not. at what heigth will i need to?
how will i know when i need to? will it bind or get a wobble in the steering?
at what heigth do i need to extend/DS/brake lines/

sorrry for the rundancycycycycy

4.3LXJ
04-29-2014, 10:35 AM
A 3" lift does not require new brake lines or pitman arm drop

Brasscatz
04-29-2014, 10:56 AM
I am on 3" of lift and still have the stock Pitman arm. I did get longer brake lines, but that's only because I knew I was going higher eventually. Stock brake lines should be just fine for you. The drive shaft is still stock as well, and you shouldn't have any vibrations from it especially if your pinion angle is correct.

The only thing for me is that the stock sway bar links are at their limit, but still work just fine.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

Brasscatz
04-29-2014, 10:58 AM
Also, I did buy a zj Pitman arm for my upcoming lift and that gives me a 1" drop over stock length. Much cheaper than buying an aftermarket arm marketed for lifted jeeps. Probably not necessary until 4.5"-6" of lift.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

rabies
04-29-2014, 10:59 AM
the reason i ask at what heigth do i change things is because after awhile i will go from 3" to about 6" longarm kit. new leaf packs etc

4.3LXJ
04-29-2014, 11:01 AM
At that point, then get the pitman arm

XjJeepacorn
04-29-2014, 11:06 AM
The afrermarket ones a beefie pitman arms are beefie! Way bigger then the zj one I'm going to be putting on the zj one soon just so I can drill out the aftermarket one to accept the chevy 1 tone tre. Something you might wanna think about if you're going to upgrade your steering.

rabies
04-29-2014, 11:12 AM
^you have a write on this coming soon?

XjJeepacorn
04-29-2014, 11:19 AM
Yeah I'm in the middle of getting ready to do the wj knucle and brake upgrade and I'm going to do the chevy 1 tone steering

XjJeepacorn
04-29-2014, 11:23 AM
I got the ruff stuff inverted tres all their steering stuff was on sale a week or 2 ago so I figured it was a good time to upgrade. And then I just got the standard chevy 1 tone kit to use as my drag link. And I'm working on fabbing up a mount for the steerimg damper to attach to the drag link.. I started a thread on it :) I'm going down to buffalo on march 23 to start working staying till the monday and hopfully if everything goes well I can get some wheeling in while I'm there :)