PDA

View Full Version : Building Bumpers

Rocco83
04-15-2014, 10:21 AM
How hard is it to build a set of bumpers? I'm looking to fab a pair rather than pay $800.

OneArmArrowSlinger
04-15-2014, 11:01 AM
Personally, I thought it was pretty straightforward & relatively simple. I built both front & rear w/ swing out carrier on mine.

Rocco83
04-15-2014, 02:26 PM
I want to build front and rear fills with tow points front/back with hitch receiver front/back. Other than that I don't plan on getting fancy. Guess I just have to get measurements and then see what I need and what the cost will be. I'm sure I could fab them at work with the tools we have. Just not sure of the difficulty. Haven't built anything like that before.

OneArmArrowSlinger
04-16-2014, 11:44 AM
I've got no measurements, just built it on the go. I do have pics tho.

Rocco83
04-16-2014, 06:57 PM
This is the one I was thinking of building for the front:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/17/usu9eses.jpg

And here is what I want to build for the back:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/17/y3upa8ur.jpg

I don't think it will be too terribly hard. Just need to figure out where to start.

bluedragon436
04-16-2014, 09:55 PM
That looks like it'd be a fairly simple set to build... I hope to one day have the tools and knowledge to fab up my own stuff, or at least attempt too... but for now I think I'll be picking up a set of bumpers, including swing out tire carrier from a semi local company... Look forward to seeing what you come up with though, in the process of building your own..

Rocco83
04-16-2014, 10:01 PM
I'm skipping the tire carrier on back. Going to throw the spare up top on a homemade roof rack. Hoping that he more things I can build myself, the more money I can save. Which will afford me to do more small things to the Jeep.

Have about $1500 in my Jeep fund. Would like to do rack, bumpers, and lift. I have everything tool wise I'd need to do it at work. Even have access to powder coating or applying a super tough plastic type coating to the bumpers from work. Lot of figuring to do yet. I'll be sure to throw up the route I take and pics.

wtfjackbbq
04-17-2014, 02:24 AM
I am slowly trying to build a front bumper. To be honest, it's only as complicated as you make it. I have stumped myself on mine. I have tried cutting this middle connecting piece 3 times now, and still can't seem to get it right lol.

XJ Wheeler
04-17-2014, 11:06 AM
I am slowly trying to build a front bumper. To be honest, it's only as complicated as you make it. I have stumped myself on mine. I have tried cutting this middle connecting piece 3 times now, and still can't seem to get it right lol.

This may not be your problem, but i have a feeling it may be. By the illustration you posted you are cutting all of the angles on one side of the two pieces connecting. Kinda hard to explain but you need to divide the "bend" cuts between the two pieces.

Say you have two pieces that are going to connect, piece A is going to be flat, and piece B is going to be welded to the left side (like you're pic) at approximately 20° upward. Instead of cutting piece A straight and piece B with a 20° cut you need to cut both piece A and B with a 10° each.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

bluedragon436
04-17-2014, 11:16 AM
I'm skipping the tire carrier on back. Going to throw the spare up top on a homemade roof rack. Hoping that he more things I can build myself, the more money I can save. Which will afford me to do more small things to the Jeep.

Have about $1500 in my Jeep fund. Would like to do rack, bumpers, and lift. I have everything tool wise I'd need to do it at work. Even have access to powder coating or applying a super tough plastic type coating to the bumpers from work. Lot of figuring to do yet. I'll be sure to throw up the route I take and pics.

Yeah I thought about doing the roof rack storage, as I already have a roof rack that I rebuilt... But I don't want the higher center of gravity if I don't have too... and the price for the bumper isn't too bad of a deal especially for having a tire carrier on it......

Rocco83
04-17-2014, 02:39 PM
Yeah I thought about doing the roof rack storage, as I already have a roof rack that I rebuilt... But I don't want the higher center of gravity if I don't have too... and the price for the bumper isn't too bad of a deal especially for having a tire carrier on it......

I'm not exactly happy about the higher center of gravity, but I'll take that over increased 360 visibility. I have issues being in vehicles when I can't see out of all my mirrors. A big 33-35" spare hanging off the back will definitely take up all the visibility out of my back window.

4.3LXJ
04-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Rocco, if you ever get on board air, you can flatten the tire and put the flat spot on top and retain visibility. Then you can pump it up when needed. Rick Pewe of Petersons 4 Wheel mag does this on his private vehicles

Rocco83
04-17-2014, 04:12 PM
I plan on OBA, but that is most likely a few years down the road. Lot of other things that need addressed first. Like tonight in going to look at another XJ to buy for a spare parts vehicle. Tired of driving past it everyday. It needs a better home.