PDA

View Full Version : Two part help needed

bluedragon436
04-15-2014, 12:08 AM
I recently got my 1990 XJ towed to where I can finally work on it a bit.. Installed a new vacuum harness on it today, so the only old vacuum lines are the few to the charcoal canister..

My two issues are:

I can't seem to find the O2 sensor harness now and was wondering if someone might be able to take a pic of where the O2 harness runs into the other engine harnesses, or wherever it goes from the O2 sensor so maybe I can backtrack it and maybe find it so I can install th O2 sensor..

And my second issue is if anyone might know what could cause it to run a bit rough, like it has a cam installed? Like I said above, I've installed a new vacuum harness, just missing the O2, which I wasn't sure how much that might have to do with the running rough..

bluedragon436
04-16-2014, 09:08 PM
I recently got my 1990 XJ towed to where I can finally work on it a bit.. Installed a new vacuum harness on it today, so the only old vacuum lines are the few to the charcoal canister..

My two issues are:

I can't seem to find the O2 sensor harness now and was wondering if someone might be able to take a pic of where the O2 harness runs into the other engine harnesses, or wherever it goes from the O2 sensor so maybe I can backtrack it and maybe find it so I can install th O2 sensor..

And my second issue is if anyone might know what could cause it to run a bit rough, like it has a cam installed? Like I said above, I've installed a new vacuum harness, just missing the O2, which I wasn't sure how much that might have to do with the running rough..

Well apparently I have taken care of the rough running and the extremely rich situation I had before, by running one of the old plastic vacuum lines from the old vacuum harness, and installing it from the TB to the MAP sensor... which is funny to me cause it wasn't run before I started the engine swap three years ago... I drove it around the storage complex for a few minutes and it seems to be running as smoothly as one might expect for a 1990

bluedragon436
04-16-2014, 09:19 PM
Still hoping someone with a 90- XJ might be able to take a pic of where the O2 sensor harness end opposite the end that plugs into the O2 sensor meets up with the rest of the under hood harnesses, so that maybe I can backtrace from that point on mine to find the end that plugs into the sensor, and get that taken care of..

bluedragon436
04-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Alright, well figured out the O2 sensor harness issue, it was plugged into the Ignition Control Module.. it fit there and looked as if it belonged there... only after I slept and was able to look and think about things with a clear mind... now to track a no crank, no nothing issue.. which I'm thinking is a bad ignition switch.. Anyone know what the possible symptoms of a bad ignition switch might be?

Brasscatz
04-18-2014, 08:33 PM
Do you get power to the dash and fuel pump? Try starting it in neutral? Battery cables tight? Starter and starter relay good?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

bluedragon436
04-18-2014, 08:37 PM
no power to the dash or the fuel pump.. Tried starting it in every gear, and the battery cables are completely tight, even took them off and cleaned them.. The starter is pretty much brand new, haven't changed the starter relay yet.. not sure it is that, since I get absolutely no power to the dash... That is why I keep thinking it is more the ignition switch then anything else...

Brasscatz
04-18-2014, 09:38 PM
Could be ignition. All fuses checked?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

XJ Wheeler
04-18-2014, 09:46 PM
Checked the grounds? Renix models get pretty picky about em.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

bluedragon436
04-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Yeah all fuses that I could find were good... and I cleaned all the relays under the hood and even swapped em around.. Got it to work once today, and let it run for about 45 mins to see if it would have any overheat issues (it did not thank goodness).. so I don't know what's up with it that it doesn't work yesterday then I clean up some relays and swap em around and it starts, then as I go to put it back into the "garage" it just cuts off as I take it from one gear to another.. then it won't start again... I checked all the grounds that I could find.. but I did see something about grounds for the gauge cluster... so might give that a try when I get home from my mission... Other then that, does it seem like I'm on the right track thinking about the ignition switch??

bluedragon436
04-19-2014, 11:14 AM
Alright, well I researched the cost of a new switch and they aren't too bad, so went ahead an ordered a new ignition switch from AZ, and will take care of that swap out when I get home from my mission in two weeks... Guess I'm going to go ahead and order the bumpers for it too.. figure that way I'll have em for either this Cherokee if I can get it to stop being stupid, or for another Cherokee I'll find and pick up if this one finds itself in someone else' possession!!

Rocco83
04-21-2014, 08:03 PM
I hope you get it running good. If you don't I know who has 2 thumbs and would love to turn a 2 door Cherokee into a quad cab Comanche. This guy :)

bluedragon436
04-21-2014, 08:19 PM
I hope I get it running, cause I know who would love to turn it into a 2dr Comanche-ish wheeler!! LOL

muskie
04-23-2014, 10:32 AM
Hi I'm Muskie I read your post on "just shutting off" then starting . I had that happen to me at 45 mph!!!!! After doing all the stuff you did I found out from my 4x pals that is was the"flywheel position sensor". It is located on the bellhousing,drivers side. It's easy to change on some models. pull back the carpet on the driver side ,and you may see a plate there. Take that off, and you'''ll see the spot where the sensor is. It's just 2 hex screws, You can get a used one at any local "u pull it "yard. I got 2 just in case they were $5 total. You'll find that you can save lots of $$$$$ if you use yard parts. BUT if your rig is like mine, you have to put together 3 feet, or all the extensions you've got to reach it from all the way back by the transfer case. THATS what I had to do. So after all that frustration I cut a hole in the trans hump big enough to fit in a socket and rachet +1" so I can change it more easily NEXT time. Try going to NAXJ forrums ,I think they have a good read with pics to show what I'm talking about. OH when you get to your local yard you can pull some extra relays, they are just a few $$$ It''s good to have a spare in your rig anyway.

bluedragon436
05-25-2014, 07:51 PM
Alright, well now I'm really going crazy with this... I replaced the ignition switch today since I wasn't getting any power to the dash or anything on any position of the key, so was thinking maybe something inside the switch was messed up... I have a full 12v coming in on the hot side of the ignition switch like there is supposed to be... but don't get any power to anywhere in side the Jeep other then the dome lights, the power locks (like I care about those) the headlights work, brake lights and 4way flashers... other then that nothing inside the Jeep has power in any position of the ignition switch... which was the main reason I was thinking it might be a switch issue.. at least now I know I have a good working switch.. but anyone have any other ideas on what to check?? I checked all the fuses under the dash and the relays under the hood, and everything seems to be fine, am going to go and see if I can't find a wiring diagram to see where the wires go after the ignition switch... I'm really trying my hardest to not have to spend money on having someone else figure this out that I'd rather spend on parts I want to add/upgrade on it (once I can finally get it starting/running correctly)..

XJ Wheeler
05-25-2014, 09:20 PM
Sorry to hear its still giving you this headache. First thing I would check is the wiring itself after the harness. If you can find the diagram you should be able to check that out pretty easily. Best of luck.

bluedragon436
05-26-2014, 11:42 AM
Well found wiring diagram... and think I'm still just as baffled as I was without it... It shows there should be power coming in on a hotline.. which there is.. and then it shows the wires running out to the starter control relay, and a few other random sensors and relays for fuel pump, A/C and something else.. but nothing that show why I shouldn't be getting any power to the dash board or the starter process in any position... I mean I know the starter shouldn't try starting and the fuel pump shouldn't prime in any position other then start, but I got nothing... Like I said before about the only thing that happens when I am in the Jeep is the dome lights cut on (well not anymore, since I deactivated the drivers side door striker for future plans anyways)... the power door lock switch works (but none of them really work... not like that is an issue for me, especially since I don't have any door keys...), the headlights & brights work... and the hazard lights work... but nothing else works... I even tried shits and giggles to try jumping it from my truck, in case it just had a weak battery, even though I have tested it and it shows that is @ 12+v to no avail... Really starting to get discouraged here, and I really don't want to be...

4.3LXJ
05-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Does no power to the dash mean that you have no gauges etc?

bluedragon436
05-26-2014, 12:59 PM
I got nothing... it's like when I turn the key absolutely nothing happens.. No warning lights like they usually do on startup, the radio never powers up, nothing... like I said the only power I seem to have inside the Jeep at any time is the dome lights, power door locks headlights & hazard lights.. no starting (not even a turnover), no gauges, no warning lights, no radio, nothing...

4.3LXJ
05-26-2014, 01:02 PM
You have power to the ignition switch. When the key is on is there power coming out?

bluedragon436
05-26-2014, 01:19 PM
Yesterday when I was checking there was no power coming off of the wire going to the starter relay.. @ the ignition switch when I turned it to the start position.. so that is why I replaced my ignition switch, was thinking it wasn't switching correctly.. couldn't get to the wiring @ the ignition switch once I installed the new one to check, but as there was no change in what happens when I switch the key I'm guessing there still won't be.. but when I am not trying to start it, there is a full 12v at the switch... Is it possible for it to drop that 12v "hot" power when I switch the ignition??

4.3LXJ
05-26-2014, 01:25 PM
If you have a bad connection, then the voltage can drop. If it is really bad, then it could be not enough to power anything. You might want to try jumping around it entirely and see if that works

bluedragon436
05-26-2014, 01:35 PM
What's the best way to bypass to check and see if a bad connection is the issue?? Like I said I checked power @ the constant hot wire and there was 12v there, but am thinking now I wonder if it drops off when I try to start or even turn to the acc position.. Guess I'll have to try and figure out where the hot line comes from so I can check connections.. I see on the diagrams I find that it is from the battery w/ a fus link...

4.3LXJ
05-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Wire from the battery to the starter terminal or on the other side of it. Things should light up then. Check back from there to find the problem

bluedragon436
05-27-2014, 01:13 AM
Wire from the battery to the starter terminal or on the other side of it. Things should light up then. Check back from there to find the problem

So what you're saying is route a hot wire from the battery directly to the ignition signal wire that cakes from the starter relay, basically bypassing the starter relay?? And if that does start the Jeep, which I think it might possibly do (well not sure it would, since the fuel pump doesn't even prime when I turn the ignition switch on)... but if I am thinking of this correctly if I run a line from the batter directly to the starter and it starts up then it would seem like it might be a bad starter control relay, as that is the only other component I can think of being between the starter and the ignition switch that I just replaced with the exception of the wiring..

bluedragon436
05-27-2014, 01:32 AM
I think I'm going to contact the three PNP's if you want to call em that... and see if any of them have a Renix XJ that I might be able to go and snag the ECM and the ignition control module as well as an starter control relay, just to see if I might have be able to swap one of them out (f they don't cost me too much to pick up for troubleshooting purposes)... I will def not be picking them up if they are crazy expensive (like they sometimes are since they know they are the only options outside of new parts, and they like marking up Jeep parts for some darn reason...

prcjeep
05-28-2014, 11:32 PM
I had a 90 for a short time, it would intermittently do several of the things you've mentioned above. It worked 90 percent of the time when i went to start it so i just dealt with it, wish i still had it so i could assist with comparisons and such

bluedragon436
05-29-2014, 12:05 AM
Thanks Patrick... Yeah I wish I knew someone, especially locally, that still had one so I could compare stuff.. got a few connections under the dash that I'd like to make sure don't belong to anything as there are a few that aren't connected, but not ones that look like they were connected when it started properly and are now the issue.. I am thinking that they are just for other options I don't have.. which is fine with me, just less stuff to have go wrong or quit working especially once I am able to start hitting up the trails with it.. And actually at this time I wish I knew someone who had a Renix XJ so I could borrow their ECM to try swapping that out to see if it'd make any difference before I spend money to order one online, as none of the two local PNP's have any Renix XJ's that I can pull parts from..

bluedragon436
06-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Well went over and worked on it a bit today.... I pulled all the ground wires in the engine bay today and cleaned all the ends, and the bolts, studs, nuts and contact surfaces that I could find.. Going to take a look at trying to find fusible links (FL) tomorrow.. I was reading online that people were saying the FL @ the starter relay is the one that goes to all the accessories in the Jeep.. so going to try and see if I can find that link, and check it, and if nothing else try bypassing it to see if it fixes the issue...

bluedragon436
06-10-2014, 05:54 PM

I tried doing this, and the only thing that happened was the starter spun, but didn't seem to spin enough to engage the gear to actually turn the engine... so not sure what was up with that....

4.3LXJ
06-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Not sure either. It would help if I was there

bluedragon436
06-10-2014, 11:27 PM
Not sure either. It would help if I was there

Yeah it would be nice to have someone like you or Matt here to help me with this... If I had those awesome resources, I'm sure the Turd would be up and running and had quite a bit of other items upgraded/replaced by now!!

slvmart
06-11-2014, 07:01 PM
This may be hair brained, but did that XJ come with a "Immobilizer Module" ? That's a Alarm system, in common terms. Not sure if that would impact your lack of current at the wire off the ignitions switch or not.

bluedragon436
06-11-2014, 07:40 PM
This may be hair brained, but did that XJ come with a "Immobilizer Module" ? That's a Alarm system, in common terms. Not sure if that would impact your lack of current at the wire off the ignitions switch or not.

There is a box under the dashboard, that looks like it was plugged into the harness @ a joint... I tried pulling that box and just joining the two parts of the harness without the box installed.. and still no difference...

I'm really confused, but going to try and throw my newly cleaned NSS back in there, and check and see if I can find any fusible links that might be shot... only thing I can thing after all the other checks and connections I've already cleaned up and refreshed...