PDA

View Full Version : Headlight high/low problems

Hartly
04-13-2014, 05:41 PM
i did a search and dident find what i needed. (maybe dident look hard enough). i have hella h4 housings and a stock wireing harness. when i was changing my driver side bulb all went smothly but the new bulb was dim, the second new bulb is dim as well. upon closer inspection both filaments are lit. turing on the brights yealds no change. does anyone have experience with this or maybe point me in the right direction. thanks in advance for the help!

NW99XJ
04-13-2014, 05:51 PM
this is a new one to me.... Is the problem still present if just ONE light is plugged in?
It sounds like there MAY even be a problem in the switch... but that may be a reach.
If you can... check the voltage on each of the (feed) sides of the plug at the haedlight (without the bulbs plugged in.) .... there will be three leads total... a ground, a positive for the low beam, and a positive for the high beam....
You're going to find you have either a voltage issue or a ground issue or both.
In either case, I would consider upgrading the wiring harness.....
PUTCO makes one, IPF makes one as well, and I think you could even get one through LMC.

4.3LXJ
04-13-2014, 05:59 PM
I agree. Upgrade the wiring harness and also check that ground

Carves
04-13-2014, 06:07 PM
Wasn''t a problem before ??

If not ..... Double check and clean the HL connector plug. sounds like voltage or ground issue at that point, as NW99XJ mentioned.

"Theoretically" ... both lamps should suffer from a bad, bodymount, ground issue ... as the wirng is spliced to one ground point ... wellllllll, it was on my updates anyways.

If you dont have a win at the HL connector .... It might be worth having a look at the harness connectors on the firewall and under the airbox.

Edit ... and yes ... upgrade the wiring ... the factory setup isn't worth two bob,

.... or two bits ... in american money .. :D

Hartly
04-13-2014, 07:35 PM
No it was never a problem before. As to upgrading the harness, i had not planned on it because i have HIDs to put in that draw less than the stock bulbs but i gotta sus this out before ill install them.

NW99XJ
04-13-2014, 07:42 PM
A digital multi meter, or some other volt meter is what you'll want to use here.
Check the voltage at each one, and report back, we'll go from there. My gut is telling me you have some ground problems though....
If it turns out to be a voltage issue, then you'll need to buy one of the harness upgrade kits... they range anywhere from $40 to $100

Hartly
04-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Thanks all for the information. Ill grab my meters and get some numbers. Tomorrow, if the rain stops

Hartly
04-14-2014, 03:39 PM
Correction. Ill get some numbers as soon as it stops snowing.

Rocco83
04-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Correction. Ill get some numbers as soon as it stops snowing.

It was 74 here today, currently 28 and we've had rain, then a snow/rain mix, and now just snow. April can't make its mind up...

You just going to replace your bulbs with the HIDs, or are you replacing the housing and all?

Hartly
04-14-2014, 06:51 PM
I have hella e code housings im told they do well with HIDs. Im also using 4300's. One, im used to them all my hondas from my racing days had em. And two, they are a lot less glare than the blue.

wtfjackbbq
04-14-2014, 08:55 PM
I actually have this exact same problem. I have HID's, wiring harness and housings. My friend installed them, as I am not good with wires. He did the exact same set-up on mine as he did on his own. After the install, I either don't have high beams or I don't have low beams. I can't tell, but my switch does nothing. I just figured the wiring harness and my Jeep didn't get along. Good to see someone else has the same issue. Please update with your findings.

NW99XJ
04-15-2014, 08:57 AM
I actually have this exact same problem. I have HID's, wiring harness and housings. My friend installed them, as I am not good with wires. He did the exact same set-up on mine as he did on his own. After the install, I either don't have high beams or I don't have low beams. I can't tell, but my switch does nothing. I just figured the wiring harness and my Jeep didn't get along. Good to see someone else has the same issue. Please update with your findings.

with many of the headlight upgrade harnesses, there is a separate relay for both the high beams and the low beams. If one of these relays gets a little sticky (meaning the internal electromagnetically controlled switch inside decides to stick...) then you will be in the situation where it is not passing the voltage for that particular mode (high/low)...
With that being said... SOME HID kits are single mode only... meaning they dont have a high/low... they're either on or off.

wtfjackbbq
04-19-2014, 07:08 AM
Right on good to know. I have an extra relay I can throw in there to see if that's the issue. If not no worries, I can see at night lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hartly
04-23-2014, 08:54 PM
Its finals week so im still waiting to take some measurements.

cpttuna
04-23-2014, 09:03 PM
With my kits from LMC truck, I made a new ground for each headlight and there are two relays. I have had no problems.