PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel bearings - hubs... replace stock or modified

Ulybrew
04-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Trying to get all the play out of the front end. .. steering is pretty tight now.

When I pull the 33s side to side I can feel a clunk clunk. .. It Feels like the bearing.

Should I replace with local auto parts oem type or upgrade to something Better? .

What would MR XJ do?

4.3LXJ
04-12-2014, 07:50 PM
Not sure who Mr XJ is, but you cannot go wrong with Timken. Not cheap though. Usually they make some noise before getting loose like that. You might check to see the ball joints are not shot. Get someone to look at the stuff while you wiggle it around.

Brasscatz
04-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Timken are probably the best out there, but like Steve said.... $$$. I went with a pair from 1A Auto and got the pair for a hair under $100 shipped. Haven't failed yet. Although, Mudderoy replaced his with Timken and already had one go bad on him.... :D

Ulybrew
04-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys. Had a helper and will confirm wheel bearings are shot.

I did the large pry bar deal and all joints seem tight.

Let me see what timkin local prices are running compared to Amazon.

Thanks for feed back.

nickyg
04-13-2014, 09:41 AM
MY jeep made a clunk when I turned the wheels back and forth for years. I could't find it. It drove me crazy.. It turned out the track bar mount (drivers side frame) had 2 of the 4 bolts holding it in were rusted to a nub. It wouldn't move by hand or with the help of a pry bar.

Brasscatz
04-13-2014, 02:25 PM
I should clarify my last post... the pair I got from 1A Auto weren't Timken, they were a different brand and I'm very happy with them so far. I re-read my post and saw my mistake, sorry about that.

nickxj94
04-13-2014, 05:38 PM
I got timiken's and been running them for a year now no problems.

wtfjackbbq
04-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Timken, ribose, and something that starts with an S (I forget the name) are suppose to be the top names for xj's. With 33's id recommend one of those 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s1xty7
05-05-2014, 06:23 PM
RockAuto.com had Timkens for my 1998 for about $72 each, shipped after some generic 5% code I found online somewhere. I just did my fronts too. I also did the u-joints (replaced with Spicer 5-760x u-joints) but I was able to find those local for only a couple bucks more than the internet. If you need them sooner rather than later and you have the money to float this process, I was able to find Timkens at my local AutoZone for $124 each and then I ordered online too. I installed the ones I got locally and returned the ones I got online to the local store when they arrived a week later. I made sure they were okay with that before I went ahead with my plan. They said as long as they were sellable they didn't mind. The Timkens seemed to be a quality unit and the online price was cheaper than the local store brand hubs/bearings. Good luck. Oh, you might want to get a little kit with new washer/nut/cap/cotter pin too, or at least wire brush the old stuff and get new cotter pins. I think mine were 5/16" x 2". Also, get lots of antiseize and it would be a good time to do a front brake job if you needed it.

I know this is an old thread but maybe this will help someone.