PDA

View Full Version : Cowl air intake; bought or homebrewed

XJMikey
04-09-2014, 03:23 PM
What do y'all think? Would it be better to buy a Thor or spectre cowl intake, or to buy a cone filter and some 3" tubing for a homerewed one?

My goal is to raise my intake point and protect my engine from drinking water. I don't ford water that's deeper than my rocker panels, but I have had my bumper submerged when entering a creek.

4.3LXJ
04-09-2014, 03:53 PM
Either way works. It all depends on what you want to look like and what you can afford

NW99XJ
04-09-2014, 03:59 PM
I do not condone or support the use of any Spectre products, as they almost killed me.
That being said, I would say if you have the funds, the Thor set up is pretty trick, but it can be duplicated relatively easy if you have the skills and means.

XJMikey
04-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Either way works. It all depends on what you want to look like and what you can afford

Looks don't matter. I'm not building a show piece.

I do not condone or support the use of any Spectre products, as they almost killed me.
That being said, I would say if you have the funds, the Thor set up is pretty trick, but it can be duplicated relatively easy if you have the skills and means.

Killed you? Ninja air intake?

I was thinking 3" rubber tubing, rtv around the connections, and a k&n cone filter. I'm not concerned with looks, my goal is protecting my engine when offroad.

NW99XJ
04-09-2014, 04:36 PM
Looks don't matter. I'm not building a show piece.

Killed you? Ninja air intake?

I was thinking 3" rubber tubing, rtv around the connections, and a k&n cone filter. I'm not concerned with looks, my goal is protecting my engine when offroad.
Yea even thoough I think the Spectre kit us futt bugly, looks arent coming into play here.
Whatever pipe you use, just make sure it can handle the temps of a hot engine. It may melt or warp if not, and I dont have to tell you that thats not good.

Here's my spectre story:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/tps-no-iac-no-look-what-i-found-1188914/

4.3LXJ
04-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Just make sure it stays at 3" diameter. 2" is too small

Pookapotamus
04-09-2014, 05:17 PM
I do t like the specter kit as it makes lots of noise, but maybe that's what you're looking for, I went the cone filter and 3" tube route, love it and provides plenty of air for the stroker. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/10/azudyqun.jpg

As for river crossings, it's fine up that high, and no temp issues or melting issues.

XJMikey
04-09-2014, 05:46 PM
Yea even thoough I think the Spectre kit us futt bugly, looks arent coming into play here.
Whatever pipe you use, just make sure it can handle the temps of a hot engine. It may melt or warp if not, and I dont have to tell you that thats not good.

Here's my spectre story:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/tps-no-iac-no-look-what-i-found-1188914/

That's crazy. Changes my view in spectre.

Just make sure it stays at 3" diameter. 2" is too small

My fiancee has been telling me that for years... wait, what? :D

I do t like the specter kit as it makes lots of noise, but maybe that's what you're looking for, I went the cone filter and 3" tube route, love it and provides plenty of air for the stroker. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/10/azudyqun.jpg

As for river crossings, it's fine up that high, and no temp issues or melting issues.

I'm going in the cowl like the spectre and Thor kits. I have cleaned mud off the top of the engine. I can live with the added noise, already live with worn out rear axle bearings.

cpttuna
04-09-2014, 07:54 PM
homebrew. I used 3" ss that I had a muffler shop bend to my specs. I used a universal K&N filter that at the time cost $28.00. It now costs at least $43.00

XJMikey
04-09-2014, 08:07 PM
homebrew. I used 3" ss that I had a muffler shop bend to my specs. I used a universal K&N filter that at the time cost $28.00. It now costs at least $43.00

I think I may have that done, and copy Pookapotamus setup. My only concern is that my hood vents will let my filter get soaked when it rains, or coat it in ice come winter (working on a fix for that possibility). Maybe cut a metal coffee can (painted) so it'll work like an umbrella.

Thanks for the input and ideas guys. I'll start with a simple setup before moving to cutting a 3" hole in my firewall.

Pookapotamus
04-09-2014, 09:19 PM
If you look closely at mine you will see a yellow dry bag over the filter, you can get them where you get your filter, stops water but lets air through, works great, my filter is right beneath my hood vents and gives me no issues.

XJMikey
04-09-2014, 09:41 PM
If you look closely at mine you will see a yellow dry bag over the filter, you can get them where you get your filter, stops water but lets air through, works great, my filter is right beneath my hood vents and gives me no issues.

I thought that was the filter color. Lol. Thanks. Tomorrow I'm going to see what a section of 3"x18" exhaust with a 90° bend and a 1" stright away for TB mounting,, will cost me.