PDA

View Full Version : Driver needs cool breeze or is it just me?

Red Octopus
04-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Is I just me or is it a Chrysler design flaw . . . . I’ve got a 1999 Sport and I’ve found that just as in the PT Cruiser I had I can’t get fresh outside air in to the cabin (un-heated – non-air conditioned air). Now my ’86 Ford F250 had a vent setting that allowed plain, old outside air to come in.
You are probably asking; Why do you want this Hank? Well, some days (actually many days) here in Virginia it’s not to hot and not to cold - it’s just right and when I’m on the highway I want the windows up (to keep it quiet) and some of that nice Southern air to ventilate the cabin. No heat – No A/C
So is it just my XJ or is it all of them that only allows outside air in if it’s heated or A/C’d? Wha-Cha think?
I been thinkin’ that if it’s a factory design flaw I could put a cable operated shut off in the plumbing to the heater and solve my problem.
:morningcoffee:
ps/ This is my first post!

NW99XJ
04-09-2014, 02:13 PM
I think all the Late model XJ's were like that (97-01)
I like the idea personally...here in the NW... much of our spring and fall is the same way... not too cold, not too warm. And a little fresh air without the wind noise would be an awesome idea.
Hope you end up tackling this project! ... I'd liek to see how it could be done!
...oh, and welcome aboard! ...glad you've found XJTalk.

nickyg
04-09-2014, 02:23 PM
My 96 has a lil handle on the door. As I rotate to the right I get fresh air. For some reason it also makes it easier to hear in the drive tru. The few rust holes I have in the floor help too.

prerunner1982
04-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Want a vent window (pre 97)... swap out the doors. Maybe a slight hinge difference and the door latch placement on the body is a bit off but not hard to do.

Most people go the other way around (as in the below article) to get a bigger window opening (no vent window) and the slightly larger mirrors.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/body-chassis/154-0901-jeep-cherokee-xj-door-upgade/

Even with the window down, most of the air skips the front seats anyways.

XJ Wheeler
04-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Pre-'97 XJs work the way you want. Don't know the newer ones well enough but there's gotta be a way.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

gary63
04-10-2014, 06:08 PM
I have a 2000 to get fresh outside air I turn the temp. knob all the wayto the blue side and then turn the other knob to the vent setting the ac doesn't run on that setting only when you turn it to the ac vent witch is farther over. The air comes in though the vent on the outside by the wipers and goes though the vent system and if you have the temp. setting all the way to the blue side the air doesn't go though the heater core. Hope that work for you the 99 and 2000 vent system are the same I think.

JeepFreak
04-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Uhhhhhhh my 1994 XJ has a 'vent' setting which is exactly what you're asking for lol 'vent' drags in non AC'd or Heated air.

Red Octopus
04-24-2014, 08:52 AM
I have a 2000 to get fresh outside air I turn the temp. knob all the wayto the blue side and then turn the other knob to the vent setting the ac doesn't run on that setting only when you turn it to the ac vent witch is farther over. Hope that work for you the 99 and 2000 vent system are the same I think.
YES! I set the Heat/AC knob to max A/C and set the 'vent flow' control on the 'heat' side to direct the air out the dashboard vents and VIOLA!
I now have sweet Virginia air cooling my aged face! (and 'The Janet' has no reason to complain about open windows)
The A/C compressor is not running on that setting - air is not going through the heater core (no need to install a water shut off valve and cable)
Thanks Gary63! Have one on me :beer: