PDA

View Full Version : RC Crawler?

HeartTheft
04-07-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm thinking about buying a Wrangler JK R.C. Crawler, is there anyone who's into R.C.s? Are they really fun?

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

XJ Wheeler
04-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Honestly, rc crawling is one of my favorite hobbies. I have a modified Tamiya CC-01, Clodbuster, and E-maxx... some more of a crawler than others but that gives them different traits to enjoy.

Most recently is the CC-01 which i was turning into a "scaler" Jeep Liberty. Locked f/r, 55t motor, etc. I have yet to have an Axial but i think that's just about the best option to get and hope to own one eventually. The aftermarket is literally endless for them and the platform is perfect.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

HeartTheft
04-07-2014, 09:10 PM
I was thinking of getting the JK just so I could make it look like my real Jeep, and for a base price of 30 dollars, I can manage.
So, do you recommend?

XJ Wheeler
04-07-2014, 09:25 PM
I was thinking of getting the JK just so I could make it look like my real Jeep, and for a base price of 30 dollars, I can manage.
So, do you recommend?

Sure, tons of people have em and love em. There's a reason they're so popular.

There is one problem with r/c crawlers though... they take time and money away from the fullsize jeeps. :p

Now, the $30... Are you talking for the vehicle or for what?

HeartTheft
04-07-2014, 09:29 PM
It's just a non coloured, working RC, it will move, but it's nothing special. It's just a start to kind of dabble into RC crawling. I'd paint it black and white and probably buy parts for it as I get more into it, I don't want to get one of the over the top 300 dollar crawlers just to find out I'm not into it, ya'know?

bluedragon436
04-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Yeah I can totally understand not wanting to waste money on something and then not really make use of it... I have a PTI Goliath that I need a few more parts to get it up and running again... They are def pretty fun, but can get pretty expensive at the same time if you aren't careful... Something to think about is, do you want to go slow and do the slow crawling, or do you want to be able to to do a little bit of crawling and then run around otherwise and bash about??

XJ Wheeler
04-07-2014, 09:49 PM
No doubt, but i think its a lot either way.

Good thing is even if you don't like it you don't have to be stuck with it. Even used those are going for well over $200, so it wouldn't be a total loss.

bluedragon436
04-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Yeah I have thought about selling mine sometimes, but would love to get it going again and hopefully even pick up an XJ body for it... I'm hoping to pick up a Traxxas Summit as it is a basher but also a crawler when you want/need it to be.. so it is kind of the best of both worlds.. and there is quite a bit of stuff out for it already, and even more items coming out...

HeartTheft
04-07-2014, 10:04 PM
Slow crawling, or fast... No middle area, huh? XD

I'm just looking for something to play with around small rocks in a campsite, so probably won't go too quick with it.

bluedragon436
04-07-2014, 10:08 PM
There is a middle ground... like I said look online for some videos of the Summit... it'll do pretty much whatever you want to do with it, form slow crawling to fast bashing, and will gladly do anything in between.... The E-maxx will do the middle/bashing stuff.. but isn't really a crawler per sai, I mean you can regear and remotor it to do it... but by the time you spend all that money... you are quite a ways into it money wise.. Just as a thought.. I mean if you are looking to do crawling only, then there are quite a few great options...

HeartTheft
04-07-2014, 10:11 PM
Haha, if it can go through grass, I'm happy. XD Like I said, I'm not looking to spend much on this, 50 is pretty well my limit. For that price I could buy a mirror relocation kit for my real Jeep. XD

HeartTheft
04-07-2014, 10:24 PM
I just went back to the site, picture shows a full RC, unpainted, but with wheels and everything, description says it can go over rocks, reviews claim false advertisement saying it's just the disconnected body. XD

Glad I read reviews.

So, we'll go with mid area, some speed, but mostly for grass/pebbles/rocks/dirt, what RCs do you recommend that are customizable to look like a JK? XD

XJ Wheeler
04-07-2014, 10:40 PM
I just went back to the site, picture shows a full RC, unpainted, but with wheels and everything, description says it can go over rocks, reviews claim false advertisement saying it's just the disconnected body. XD

Glad I read reviews.

So, we'll go with mid area, some speed, but mostly for grass/pebbles/rocks/dirt, what RCs do you recommend that are customizable to look like a JK? XD

Sorry but unless you find someone willing to give you a deal or some miracle happens the ones you are talking about go for over $300. The cheapest you can really get into it is maybe $150-200 for a used one. The CC-01 is just over $200 new but isn't much of a crawler out of the box but can be built into a decent one.

HeartTheft
04-07-2014, 10:46 PM
I know it's not really "good" but just to dabble and see if I'm into it what do you think about this?

King Crawler Electric RC Truck Off Road 4WD 10+ MPH 1:12 RTR (Red) Crawls Over Rocks and Objects, Premium Off Road Performance:Amazon:Toys & Games@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519JENdLA%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@519JENdLA%2BL

Obviously not for extreme things, but just to **** around in a campsite?

bluedragon436
04-07-2014, 10:50 PM
I think that one would work just to **** around.... But I think it would not give you the real "joy" of RC wheeling so you really wouldn't be able to get into it at all I don't think... I've had lots of "RC Toys" back in the day and never really got into RC until I purchased my first real RC... and I think that might be the same way with this purchase.. Not saying you have to buy the $300+ units just to get into it.. but saying I wouldn't want you to get a bad taste for RC wheeling because you got a POS or anything... You can purchase a JK body to put onto any good RC unit, so don't let the body be your stopping point!!

HeartTheft
04-07-2014, 10:51 PM
This one has better reviews. XD

Maisto R/C Rock Crawler (Colors May Vary):Amazon:Toys & Games@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Hf9cd2grL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Hf9cd2grL

Doesn't say anywhere about customization... But oh well.

XJ Wheeler
04-07-2014, 11:04 PM
I think that one would work just to **** around.... But I think it would not give you the real "joy" of RC wheeling so you really wouldn't be able to get into it at all I don't think... I've had lots of "RC Toys" back in the day and never really got into RC until I purchased my first real RC... and I think that might be the same way with this purchase.. Not saying you have to buy the $300+ units just to get into it.. but saying I wouldn't want you to get a bad taste for RC wheeling because you got a POS or anything... You can purchase a JK body to put onto any good RC unit, so don't let the body be your stopping point!!

Totally agree with this ^

Eric, I actually got one of those you listed above on clearance just to have something when my other rc's were down. But it sucked... Steering took a big dive after two runs, just couldn't handle it. And there's very few ways to modify those kind, and those don't really do much because the rest can't handle the added torque or traction.

HeartTheft
04-07-2014, 11:18 PM
Yeah, that's what the reviews were saying, there were a few who said the steering went out. I might try the red one just to d around and see if I like R.C.s if not, only cost me 40, if so, put more into it.

I like arts and crafts, so I'll probably spend more time painting the bodies than anything. XD

HeartTheft
04-07-2014, 11:21 PM
Hell, I know my brother has one of the high end RCs that he broke, if I end up getting one maybe I'll buy off any still-working parts. XD

bluedragon436
04-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Hell, I know my brother has one of the high end RCs that he broke, if I end up getting one maybe I'll buy off any still-working parts. XD

Why don't you find out what he has, and what's wrong with it?? Maybe you can pick it up for a cheap price being as how it isn't currently working... and between folks here that know RC might be able to help you find the needed parts to get it up and going again... depending on what's wrong with it and how much he'd want for it..

HeartTheft
04-07-2014, 11:29 PM
I have a little 1/18th scale model LJ, the doors open, the mirrors actually reflect, the hood opens, and the steering wheel moves the wheels slightly, and I LOVE that thing. XD So a piece of s*** that looks like a Jeep will keep me amused. XD One that can go through grass will BLOW MY FREAKIN' MIND!

XJ Wheeler
04-07-2014, 11:36 PM
Sounds like you like scalers. Me too. Here's my cc-01s build thread if you want to have a look.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11512

HeartTheft
04-07-2014, 11:55 PM
That actually looks really good! My little model Jeep just sits, flexing on a book. XD

XJ Wheeler
04-09-2014, 01:05 PM
That actually looks really good! My little model Jeep just sits, flexing on a book. XD

Thanks, its undergoing a transformation that will be sweet when its done. They really are fun.