PDA

View Full Version : No Start, Need Advice Plz

Hopkins
04-06-2014, 12:08 PM
So I am battling a reoccurring no start issue with my 98 XJ. I have gone over and cleaned all the grounds twice now. All connections are good with proper voltage making its way through the system. I also put in a brand new Optima Red Top for good measure.

Here is how the no start is happening: Key in ignition, turn to on position and wait a couple of chimes to let fuel flow, turn to start and nothing. No noises, however the interior electronics do flutter as if the battery is sending power to the starter, but no noise from the starter. I tried hitting the starter with a hammer while having the wife turn key to start position and still nothing.

The starter is the original unit with 100k miles on it. The starter sounds very weak when it does start(takes several seconds of cranking to get engine to fire). Other people have told me that is just how Chryslers start, but to me it sounds like the starter is struggling.

What directions should I head in to solve this issue? I am leaning towards replacing the starter, is this a safe bet?

All input is appreciated guys!

bluedragon436
04-06-2014, 12:18 PM
I would say it is worth a try to swap out the starter... All else fails if that doesn't seem to make any difference you can either go with knowing you'll have a brand new starter.. or you could return it and try another part.. I would say with the description you are giving of what it is doing/what it isn't doing... it would almost seem as if the starter or the starter solenoid is the most likely issue!! You could also remove your starter and take it with you and have it tested at the auto parts store...

NW99XJ
04-06-2014, 12:26 PM
The XJ's are VERY finicky when it comes to voltage...
Several years ago I was doing an o2 sensor swap, and I had disconnected the battery, when I was done, I did the typical ECU memory clearing procedure, and after I had re-connected the battery and went to start it for the first time... nothing.
The dash lights would come on, the door buzzer would sound, for all intents and purposes, it looked like everything was good....
What the issue was ...is that I didnt have a GOOD ENOUGH connection AT the battery... the terminals were on and "seemed" like they were tight and everything, but it wasn't good enough for my 99 XJ... NOOOOO... IT wanted more.
So I had to clean both posts, and the inside of the terminals.... pound the terminals onto the post, then cinch them down to the point I thought I was going to break them.... the XJ was happy at that point....

Hopkins
04-06-2014, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the input guys. When I went over the connections I checked the terminals, but I will check again and make sure they are cranked down tight.

If I do go for a new starter is there anything specific I should be looking for? Or anything to stay away from? I leaning towards either a Bosch or Mean Green right now.

slvmart
04-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Personally, I would recommend just pulling the starter. If you have jumper cables, just put the ground to the case and the when you're ready touch the + to the big connector on the starter. If it spins freely and the starter case rotates a bit, then it's very likely OK. The bad part would be that that means you have to start a search for where the problem really lies. You can also take the starter in to a Auto Parts store and have them test it, if you are not comfortable with doing the procedure you described.

bluedragon436
04-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Personally, I would recommend just pulling the starter. If you have jumper cables, just put the ground to the case and the when you're ready touch the + to the big connector on the starter. If it spins freely and the starter case rotates a bit, then it's very likely OK. The bad part would be that that means you have to start a search for where the problem really lies. You can also take the starter in to a Auto Parts store and have them test it, if you are not comfortable with doing the procedure you described.

I would recommend taking it to the auto parts store to have it checked, as doing it with the jumper cables will verify that the motor still works, and that the solenoid still works, but doesn't prove that the motor has the power to spin over the engine, just that it still works to some point... IMHO, I could be wrong though..

slvmart
04-06-2014, 05:55 PM
I've been always been able to tell if it has sufficient torque. But maybe that's just me. Usually, it's pretty obvious.

cantab27
04-06-2014, 10:06 PM
put it in N and see if it starts .....if it starts its ya NSS ...but by what you are saying sounds like starter .....pull and replace or rebuild

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1574

thats how i test em ...jumper leads and battrie on the ground , or in a vice and bit of 4x2 into the teeth ,,,,works a treat ...

slvmart
04-07-2014, 05:39 AM
Just as a p.s. If you do get a rebuilt starter, bench test it before installing it. I've had it happen that the "rebuilt" did not work. So better safe than sorry.

JBone
04-11-2014, 02:25 PM
There is a way to start the engine jumping the starter solenoid but I cant remember. I had the same issue with mine. Turned the key, lights and chimes start but when I turn the key to start engine nothing happens. My buddy jumped the solenoid and it started. My issue was a bad ignition switch behind the ignition key cylinder which left me stranded 100 miles from home (thank God for AAA). Replaced the faulty plastic ignition switch with and new one ($35.00 part) and was good to go.

slvmart
04-11-2014, 02:40 PM
If you have a solenoid, then you could try just using jumper cables from the battery plus to the terminal that runs straight down to the starter, on the solenoid. That would tell you if the solenoid is the culprit.

Rocco83
04-11-2014, 07:35 PM
I wouldn't buy Bosch. I've heard from Quite a few mechanics that Bosch is really only good to use for imports and some diesel parts. May just be some type of superstition, but they've never steered me wrong.