PDA

View Full Version : Belt squeal

Spike3
04-04-2014, 05:16 PM
I've got either a belt or pulley squeal up front on the serpentine belt. The thing is it happens intermittently. When I'm driving on the highway I can hear it, but when I stop on my street to pop the hood to check it out, sometimes I hear it and sometimes I don't.
I'm wondering if it's associated with the cooling fan, but I'm unsure if it can disengage.
What components rub off of this belt but can disengage or act intermittently. I don't have air conditioning so that can't be it.
Thanks for the help,
Spike

4.3LXJ
04-04-2014, 06:03 PM
The belt is probably not tight enough. You might try adjusting it a little tighter. The adjustor is under the power steering pump

prerunner1982
04-05-2014, 08:41 AM
For temp relief try rubbing a bar of soap on the ribbed side of the belt.
SAFETY WARNING......THIS HAS TO BE DONE WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING, KEEP HANDS CLEAR OF FAN. RAPID REMOVAL OF FINGERS POSSIBLE.

nickyg
04-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Here's a vid on how to diagnose a belt problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwtLj_2SMNw

cpttuna
04-05-2014, 06:51 PM
just my $.02 I like the gates belt. I bought it for my wife's XJ. The new belt squealed for a month. It did not make any difference how tight it was. We finally took it off and put on a Duralast from Autozone. End of problem.

Spike3
04-07-2014, 08:08 AM
SAFETY WARNING......THIS HAS TO BE DONE WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING, KEEP HANDS CLEAR OF FAN. RAPID REMOVAL OF FINGERS POSSIBLE.

This sounds terrifying. I don't have the balls to do this one haha.

ParadiseXJ
04-07-2014, 08:39 AM
This sounds terrifying. I don't have the balls to do this one haha.

Yeah, me too...either it's a typo or the users name should be "stumpy". I keep my hands clear of ANY moving belts or pulleys. Blood will make your belt slip too.

:crazy:

Cheromaniac
04-07-2014, 12:17 PM

There's a much safer alternative than that. Just spray some belt dressing on the flat part of the belt while the engine's running. It'll make the belt stickier and stop the squealing (at least temporarily anyway).
Belt squeal is caused by the flat part of the drive belt slipping against the counterclockwise rotating pulleys that have a flat surface (water pump, idler, tensioner, clutch fan). The commest reason is insufficient belt tension so tightening it up usually cures the problem. However a very shiny, glazed look on the flat part of the belt is a sign of chronic slippage and it's best to replace it. Other causes of belt squeal are worn pulley bearings (idler, tensioner, fan) and a failing water pump. Removing the belt and spinning each pulley by hand will reveal the culprit.

Spike3
04-07-2014, 08:11 PM
I'm starting to feel the pressure of final exams now so I'll be doing repairs later this month after school's out of the way. I should have enough info now to assess everything, I'll keep you posted tho.
Thanks for the help,
Spike

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Spike3
05-08-2014, 07:02 PM
Below are a couple links to the videos I've taken of the squeal happening. It happens intermittently and I was hoping somebody could identify it before I begin blindly poking around.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjnmuat52b8tap0/20140506_200954.mp4
^I don't actually think it was wobbling, I think it was just the quick change from grey to black of the belt.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuzhi9zz4b8fouw/20140508_075931.mp4

prerunner1982
05-09-2014, 12:22 AM
My sequel comes from the ribbed side....and since I don't have an electric fan I have more than enough room to get in there. I still have all my digits thank you very much.

Cheromaniac
05-09-2014, 02:21 AM
My sequel comes from the ribbed side....and since I don't have an electric fan I have more than enough room to get in there. I still have all my digits thank you very much.

If you follow the advice I gave you earlier, I'm 100% sure you'll find the problem. :)

slvmart
05-09-2014, 04:44 AM
I had a similar problem but usually only when 1st starting it up. That was a combination of needing a belt and having to tension the belt up a little bit more. I haven't run into this yet, on the XJ, but the tensioning pulley can also need to be replaced, depending on it's age.