PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise/bounce after SYE and control arms?

Wolfie
04-03-2014, 11:07 PM
OK so put a IRO HnT on my NP242. I have a front drive shaft as my rear. So today I start her up and drive it. Off the road I didnt notice any noises nothing. ONCE I got on the road I hear this strange noise. Its kind of a clunk/grinding noise? its really strange. my angle at the T-case is 4° and at the rear its 10°. I have a 3" lift in my 95 with a 97°

Also after I let off the gas and let it coast it has this like hopping feel. The control arm bolts arn't ungodly tight on the control arms. The road is smooth so I dont know where the hopping is coming from.

I was supposed to go get tires tomorrow but if I can't get any answers here or find it on Google I guess I wont be getting tires or going to drill....

I really need to get this done tonight/early tomorrow. So if i have to switch from my XJ on XJ bastard back to XJ/S10 to put in the 6° shims that are for the center bolt for the leaf springs of a S10 then Its gonna be a long night/day

bruggz351
04-04-2014, 01:30 AM
What condition is the slip joint in? If it's a bit sloppy you'll get those symptoms. Also, the angle of the rear pinion. Is it pointing basically at the output shaft of the transfer case?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Wolfie
04-04-2014, 10:46 AM
What condition is the slip joint in? If it's a bit sloppy you'll get those symptoms. Also, the angle of the rear pinion. Is it pointing basically at the output shaft of the transfer case?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I'll check the joint. And as for the pinion. It basically is. Its not perfect but its pretty close. I do have a 2° shim. Should I maybe put that in?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
04-04-2014, 10:51 AM
here is a tread on setting driveline pinion angles. Hope this helps

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7299

Wolfie
04-04-2014, 01:03 PM
Found answer. CV on the front I put in is bad. Now to figure out the backfire when i get back from drill

Wolfie
04-15-2014, 01:37 PM
OK so before I go out and purchase all the stuff to rebuild the shaft.

The reason why I think it might be bad is when its not on the jeep the parts feel loose. Pretty easy to move/limp kinda. Like moving it up and down in the air its moves. Is this OK or was I correct on it needs to be rebuilt?

Does it need just u joints or should I replace the center bearing thing?

Also based on what I was told I will be putting the 6° shim I have.

Just covering all my bases before I spend a bunch of money on stuff.

4.3LXJ
04-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Yes, needs some TLC

Wolfie
04-15-2014, 02:46 PM
Yes, needs some TLC

Well per you saying I should do a new o2 sensor. Looks like its time to shell some money... grr.

Another question. If the 6° shim aligns it perfectly (with the tcase and axle) when the drive shaft is rebuilt then all my problems in theory should go away correct?

Should I install the shims and see if the problems stop before buying parts/rebuilding?

If I rebuild it should I replace the 2 u joints also? Because I'm wondering if its only the center bearing thinger

4.3LXJ
04-15-2014, 02:48 PM
If that drive shaft is loose, then shimming will not get rid of the vibes. It only works with a good driveshaft. If you are going to take the CV apart to fix the ball and stud, might as well use new joints too

Wolfie
04-15-2014, 02:49 PM
If that drive shaft is loose, then shimming will not get rid of the vibes. It only works with a good driveshaft. If you are going to take the CV apart to fix the ball and stud, might as well use new joints too

OK I'll do that then. I'm just trying to cover all my bases and make sure of what I'm doing before I spend money on something.

Wolfie
04-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Crap. OK so I bought Rubicon express shims. I used the same part number I got from a guy who did a s10 bastard pack.

These

Are for an XJ bolt size. Too small for the S10 bolt size... so because I already got the shims. So say screw it on the S10 bastard pack until I got to 5" and just throw those in? I feel like drilling these out wouldn't be smart?

Rocco83
04-15-2014, 04:38 PM
I'd probably drill them out, but I like to live dangerously on the edge like that :p

Wolfie
04-15-2014, 04:40 PM
I'd probably drill them out, but I like to live dangerously on the edge like that :p

Hahahaha well to be honest I do not want to do this again if I go S10 packs... let's be honest here. S10 packs would probably be way better then my XJ on XJ bastard pack I got now...

Rocco83
04-15-2014, 04:42 PM
More than likely yes.

Wolfie
04-15-2014, 04:43 PM
More than likely yes.

I also don't want to wait any longer to drive my XJ... and I don't want to spend 18+ shipping on 3/8 center pin 2.5" 6° shims...

Wolfie
04-15-2014, 04:45 PM
Spending a bit more time on Google and I'm slightly mad at myself. Tuff country sells shims and center pins for 20 bucks. I'm sure I spent more then that the route I went. dang it!

On a side not. I did find a guy who did drill out shims with no problems. So I'm gonna follow suit.

4.3LXJ
04-15-2014, 05:00 PM
The S10 spring uses a 3/8 center pin and the X?J uses a 5/16. You can use the smaller size, since the important part is the place the head fits on the axle. It is an alignment device only. I have used the smaller size on that bastard pack for years, no problem

Wolfie
04-15-2014, 05:02 PM
The S10 spring uses a 3/8 center pin and the X?J uses a 5/16. You can use the smaller size, since the important part is the place the head fits on the axle. It is an alignment device only. I have used the smaller size on that bastard pack for years, no problem

Wait use a 5/6 center pin on the S10 leaves?

I already have a 3/8 center pin. That's why I was asking about the drilling.

4.3LXJ
04-15-2014, 05:17 PM
Stock size is 5/16" shaft, with a 1/2" head. If you already have a different size installed, then someone has already been there ahead of you. If you bought that size, I recommend exchanging it and save yourself a lot of trouble trying to drill your main leaf, which is as hard as a drill bit

Wolfie
04-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Stock size is 5/16" shaft, with a 1/2" head. If you already have a different size installed, then someone has already been there ahead of you. If you bought that size, I recommend exchanging it and save yourself a lot of trouble trying to drill your main leaf, which is as hard as a drill bit

Well exchanging the 3/8 center pins I have is out of the question... seeing I bought them over a year ago.

So what your telling me is use a 5/16 bolt/center pin with the S10 leaves you told me to use and call it good?

I will redrill if I have to. But if your saying I don't have to then maybe I won't.

4.3LXJ
04-15-2014, 05:26 PM
Yes, use the 5/16" center pin. Also get one that is plenty long, but still has threads at the pack thickness. It will be much easier to line up everything and get it together. And use C clamps to compress everything together, not the bolt. It is too soft for that

Wolfie
04-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Yes, use the 5/16" center pin. Also get one that is plenty long, but still has threads at the pack thickness. It will be much easier to line up everything and get it together. And use C clamps to compress everything together, not the bolt. It is too soft for that

OK will do. I'm still gonna keep the 3/8 center pins I have. Just in case.

4.3LXJ
04-15-2014, 05:33 PM
Never hurts to have spare bolts

Wolfie
04-15-2014, 05:42 PM
Well I'll get some 5/16 bolts then. So much money being spent... grr