PDA

View Full Version : Control arm bolt question

Wolfie
03-31-2014, 05:55 PM
I just installed new control arms. The bolts when I tightened them up would still spin if I used a wrench. So me being me tightened them til I could barely move them. Is this wrong?

I'm not home to look and see if I maybe bent the frame mount into the bushing but I used new control arm bolts from team Cherokee if that means anything.

I was awake for 33 hours yesterday and 7 was getting the old bolts out. So because I don't want to have messed anything up I'm worried and thought I'd ask

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
03-31-2014, 06:22 PM
No, they need to be tight against the bushing sleeve

Wolfie
03-31-2014, 07:57 PM
So there should be no moving at all then? So me tightening them as much as I could was a good thing?

4.3LXJ
03-31-2014, 08:18 PM
Yup, you did good

Wolfie
03-31-2014, 08:22 PM
Yup, you did good

OK good. We shall see how it goes when its drive able.

ParadiseXJ
04-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Did you torque them with the wheels on the ground? With the weight of the Jeep on the suspension?

Wolfie
04-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Did you torque them with the wheels on the ground? With the weight of the Jeep on the suspension?

Yes I did. I did not lift it up. Full weight on control arms tires of the ground

NW99XJ
04-02-2014, 10:22 AM
Sounds right to me.
I use a breaker bar and the longest wrench I have to tighten the living hell out of mine every time I've taken them out/off.
I think you're fine.
Just a word of advice (as always) ...after a coupe/few hundred miles, get back under there and give everything another good once over with the wrenches and socket set, just to make sure its all still tight, then do that again, every oil change.

Wolfie
04-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Sounds right to me.
I use a breaker bar and the longest wrench I have to tighten the living hell out of mine every time I've taken them out/off.
I think you're fine.
Just a word of advice (as always) ...after a coupe/few hundred miles, get back under there and give everything another good once over with the wrenches and socket set, just to make sure its all still tight, then do that again, every oil change.

So if I manage to get tires before my wonderful trip to drill (its like 230 miles there) once I get there I should check them and when I get home?

NW99XJ
04-03-2014, 08:38 AM
So if I manage to get tires before my wonderful trip to drill (its like 230 miles there) once I get there I should check them and when I get home?

Wouldn't be a bad idea... if nothing else but for peace of mind.
Most lift manufacturers will recommend you go thru every single nut and bolt after the first 500 miles.....
5-10 minutes with a socket set going around the Jeep once every-so-often COULD mean the difference between life and death.
You hear stories all the time, about a wheel coming off on the freeway, or someone lost a track bar on the trail...etc.
A little preventative maintenance goes a long way.

Wolfie
04-03-2014, 08:40 AM
Wouldn't be a bad idea... if nothing else but for peace of mind.
Most lift manufacturers will recommend you go thru every single nut and bolt after the first 500 miles.....
5-10 minutes with a socket set going around the Jeep once every-so-often COULD mean the difference between life and death.
You hear stories all the time, about a wheel coming off on the freeway, or someone lost a track bar on the trail...etc.
A little preventative maintenance goes a long way.

Well my track bar bolt either snapped or came lose on the axle end and yeah. It was not fun. So I understand. Thank you for the advice

NW99XJ
04-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Well my track bar bolt either snapped or came lose on the axle end and yeah. It was not fun. So I understand. Thank you for the advice.
No problem, Anytime.