PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Wolfie!!!

bluedragon436
03-30-2014, 04:38 AM
Hi Wolfie, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

Wolfie
03-30-2014, 04:59 AM
Hi Wolfie, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

I'm 19 years old. A 12 bravo in the Wisconsin Army National Guard. Will hopefully be going to school for Law Enforcement. Not sure yet.

I bought my 95 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 High Output as my first Vehicle January 2011. It had 31" tires and poorly trimmed fenders. The NP231 transfer case had a few issues so I replaced it with a NP242 transfer case I got out of a 97 parts Jeep. I put a lift on it that summer. Which it currently still has.

The lift/mods I've done so far.

XJ on XJ bastard pack. Rusty's 3" lift coils. TJ sway bar links. No rear sway bar.

I thought i blew the head gasket on it. Well and was having trouble with a few other things and was tired of vibrations. So for almost a year it sat in my parents yard. After the car I bought head gasket blew I went back to the Jeep.

Finding out I didn't blow the head gasket and the 2 grand I dropped on the car could've been used for the XJ... Oh well live and learn.

I have recently put on: IRO hd track bar. IRO adjustable HD lower control arms. And IRO's hack n tap.

I plan on eventually going to 5" of lift. I have coil spacers and lift shackles but am thinking of possibly using TJ wrangler 6" lift coils. Getting quick disco's, extended break lines, adjustable upper control arms (not ready to do a long arm kit).

Also thinking about redoing my rocker panels with 2x6 tube. And using Monstaliner bed liner for a new "paint job" Matching my current red. Doing Chassis saver on the underside (rust belt has done its job. made it rusty...) and on whatever other parts need it. Basically fixing all the rust. Stopping it. Then bedlining it so it will hopefully stop rusting. Also I am considering doing a Mercedes turbo diesel conversion. 1 because I drive ALOT every month. 2 because I think having a diesel in a XJ would be fun. And 3 I enjoy modifying my XJ.

I think thats enough info about me for the moment.

bluedragon436
03-30-2014, 06:35 AM
That sounds like an awesome rundown and awesome start to modifying the XJ you have going there.. What made you think you had a blown head gasket in the XJ, and what did you end up figuring out it was?? I too think it would be awesome to have the Merc TD conversion in the XJ, I've been thinking about doing that one day or a 4BT Cummins swap.. Loving the plans for the XJ, as some of them sound very similar to what I plan on doing with mine, so will be nice to see it as it progresses...

Wolfie
03-30-2014, 07:32 AM
That sounds like an awesome rundown and awesome start to modifying the XJ you have going there.. What made you think you had a blown head gasket in the XJ, and what did you end up figuring out it was?? I too think it would be awesome to have the Merc TD conversion in the XJ, I've been thinking about doing that one day or a 4BT Cummins swap.. Loving the plans for the XJ, as some of them sound very similar to what I plan on doing with mine, so will be nice to see it as it progresses...

Well when I did an oil change I had a boat load of oil come out which I thought was mixed with coolant and it had been back firing bad.

I had a coolant leak which I still haven't actually found. And thinking back to on it, it possible I was put too much oil in or whatever other reason there is. I mean it leaks oil so maybe I thought it was low? I dunno. But the spark plugs were so unbelievably bad. I don't know how it ran at all.

It has some old gas in it and even with that it doesn't run all that bad. There is an occasional hick up. But I mean for the most part I don't think its the head gasket. Won't know til its back on the road.

I thought about the 4BT. There is more work to do that seeing its taller and heavier then the 4.0 or the Merc diesel. The Merc diesel is pretty close to the 4.0 and with just a few simple changes/mods it could easily make more HP and torque then the 4.0 with the added MPG.

Oh one more thing I forgot to mention. I put a 97 gas tank and sending unit into my XJ. Why? Well the one that was in it had a leak. Couldn't fill it all the way. I had that parts Jeep so I kinda said why not? Found someone who had done it and bam followed their lead. Oh and asked questions.

I ask a lot of questions. And if I can't find an answer I kinda just do it and hope for the best.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

bluedragon436
03-30-2014, 07:37 AM
Nothing wrong with asking questions, or even more so jumping in feet first to give it a try.. Share you findings when you do this, might help others who have thought about the same things..

Wolfie
03-30-2014, 07:45 AM
Nothing wrong with asking questions, or even more so jumping in feet first to give it a try.. Share you findings when you do this, might help others who have thought about the same things..

I plan to do so once I figure out the S10 bastard pack to get to 5" of lift. I know its been shared on here before about using a TJ front lift coil to get lift even if its an inch shorter. So because I have become fond of IRO their 6" TJ lift spring shall be mine one day. The reason this is important is for the odd ball people like me who want 5 inches of lift instead of the normal 4.5 or 5.5 inches of lift. It can be difficult to find lift coils or full backs... actually I haven't found any on the internet. Maybe i haven't looked hard enough. Again dunno.

This goes back to the S10 bastard pack and all the other stuff I'm trying to eventually do. If I have found an answer to a question I haven't gotten answered by Google or forums I'd put it in a build thread. Which I will eventually start.

XJ Wheeler
03-30-2014, 08:03 AM
Welcome to the site Keith! Sounds like you have a good plan, and definitely know what ya like. How about some pics of that rig?

On the diesel swap, one of the guys on here (msmoorenburg) is planning on doing the Mercedes swap in the future. Should be something to watch for sure.

Oh, and I thought I would add some personal experience on the spring thing. I run R.E. 4.5" coils in the front but they actually measure out to 5" lift. Just something to think about.

Wolfie
03-30-2014, 08:11 AM
Welcome to the site Keith! Sounds like you have a good plan, and definitely know what ya like. How about some pics of that rig?

On the diesel swap, one of the guys on here (msmoorenburg) is planning on doing the Mercedes swap in the future. Should be something to watch for sure.

Oh, and I thought I would add some personal experience on the spring thing. I run R.E. 4.5" coils in the front but they actually measure out to 5" lift. Just something to think about.

Thank you. And I will try to take some good pictures today and upload them. I work 12 hour 3rd shift and I'm getting switched to 1st on Tuesday so I've decided not to sleep today. So if my posts become hard to understand this is why.

Thank you for the info on RE coils. I did not know this. Now I have 3 options. The 2 inch coil spacers. IRO TJ 6" coils. Or RE 4.5 coils.

Now to figure out that stupid bastard pack.

XJ Wheeler
03-30-2014, 08:17 AM
Thank you. And I will try to take some good pictures today and upload them. I work 12 hour 3rd shift and I'm getting switched to 1st on Tuesday so I've decided not to sleep today. So if my posts become hard to understand this is why.

Thank you for the info on RE coils. I did not know this. Now I have 3 options. The 2 inch coil spacers. IRO TJ 6" coils. Or RE 4.5 coils.

Now to figure out that stupid bastard pack.

Anytime, that's what we're here for! ;) And trust me, I've put more "funny to me at the moment... not so much once I've had sleep" posts than I care to think about. :D

Wolfie
03-30-2014, 08:35 AM
Anytime, that's what we're here for! ;) And trust me, I've put more "funny to me at the moment... not so much once I've had sleep" posts than I care to think about. :D

I'm sure I will have one or 2 of those today. Especially if I decide to write the beginning of my build thread here. Update the build thread I started on Cherokeeforum forever ago. And if I decided to start one anywhere else. Gonna be a long day.

XJ Wheeler
03-30-2014, 09:11 AM
I'm sure I will have one or 2 of those today. Especially if I decide to write the beginning of my build thread here. Update the build thread I started on Cherokeeforum forever ago. And if I decided to start one anywhere else. Gonna be a long day.

That's what the edit button is for! :D

4.3LXJ
03-30-2014, 10:21 AM
I plan to do so once I figure out the S10 bastard pack to get to 5" of lift. I know its been shared on here before about using a TJ front lift coil to get lift even if its an inch shorter. So because I have become fond of IRO their 6" TJ lift spring shall be mine one day. The reason this is important is for the odd ball people like me who want 5 inches of lift instead of the normal 4.5 or 5.5 inches of lift. It can be difficult to find lift coils or full backs... actually I haven't found any on the internet. Maybe i haven't looked hard enough. Again dunno.

This goes back to the S10 bastard pack and all the other stuff I'm trying to eventually do. If I have found an answer to a question I haven't gotten answered by Google or forums I'd put it in a build thread. Which I will eventually start.

Welcome Kieth. You can't really get that much lift out of just the bastard pack. You can do it with an extended shackle though

Wolfie
03-30-2014, 10:38 AM
Welcome Kieth. You can't really get that much lift out of just the bastard pack. You can do it with an extended shackle though

I got one. I would like 3.5 from the bastard pack then use my 1.5-2" lift shackle. And well only use 1.5" for it.

4.3LXJ
03-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Sounds like a plan

Wolfie
03-31-2014, 01:21 PM
Not the most resent but I found them on my phone. I spent 7 hours total today under my Jeep trying to get 1 track bar bolt out. So taking pictures slipped my mind. I mean I had been up for 33 hours.

On another note my girlfriends uncle gave me a list of 31x10.5R15 tires he has. Mind you I asked for AT tires. His list has 2 MT tires.... grrr. Get then sipped?

Firestone destination mt $184

Hankook synaptic mt rt03 $169.509

Wolfie
03-31-2014, 08:31 PM
Girlfriends uncle has Firestone destination mt or Hankook synaptic mt rt03 tires for me. Apparently no A/Ts. So get one of those and get them sipped or what should I do here?

4.3LXJ
03-31-2014, 08:49 PM
You can get them siped and they will be better in snow. But on ice it will be a toss up. The type of sipes with the squiggles and a little space between the sides work the best.

Wolfie
03-31-2014, 08:58 PM
You can get them siped and they will be better in snow. But on ice it will be a toss up. The type of sipes with the squiggles and a little space between the sides work the best.

Would they be good idea?

4.3LXJ
03-31-2014, 08:59 PM
I always sipe mine if I can anyway. Makes them grip better in the rocks and they run cooler

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_0247.jpg

Wolfie
03-31-2014, 09:04 PM
I always sipe mine if I can anyway. Makes them grip better in the rocks and they run cooler

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_0247.jpg

Do they do good on the road? Do they last good or do they ware bad?

4.3LXJ
03-31-2014, 09:06 PM
I got about 50K out of those. And did fine on the road

Wolfie
03-31-2014, 09:07 PM
I got about 50K out of those. And did fine on the road

Good on road. Good in snow? Good in mud and good on rocks. Sweet.