PDA

View Full Version : Sorting out post lift steering issue.

sbspence
03-27-2014, 12:37 PM
Background = 01 3" Rough Country coils, AAL in the rear, Nitro2 shocks, new ball joints, all parts in front tight and functioning. 235/7516 BFG ATs, on the stock Icons 150k mi, recent alignment.

I'm having an unusual steering issue that is difficult to describe. The front seems tight, and I don't have DW, or bump steer, BUT, when going around sweeping turns especially long sweeping LEFT turns the steering wheel seems to take a LOT of correction, and and there is almost a dead spot in the steering wheel during the turn. The wheel ends up being turned far further than it seems it should be. The suspension in the front crashes hard over potholes, railroad tracks etc..

My thoughts are this is two different (or maybe not) issues. The stock factory LCAs are struggling with the 3" lift causing the jarring ride? The steering on the other hand may be the track bar not being parallel now with the axle? It doesn't seem to be loose steering parts it drives STRAIGHT down the road and drives well other than these two issues. I don't think that it's play in the steering gearbox either , but, I'm open to expert opinions here since I'm kind of at a loss how to proceed without simply throwing money at parts.

THANKS to the Braintrust here!

NW99XJ
03-27-2014, 12:46 PM
shoot us a pic looking STRAIGHT at the steering...with all components in frame.
Sounds like you're on the right track of thinking about the angles of the steering components.
With 3" of lift in the front, the track bar has to be addressed....
As you lift, the jeep will want to pull the axle more toward the drivers side... this is where an adjustable track bar comes into play.... It will put the axle back where it is SUPPOSED to be under the Jeep.
But that only cures 1/2 of the issue... the other half being the angles.
In your case, you MAY be able to get away with a track bar relocation bracket.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRntaWPYFdzy-xCi4N0FbnDv8xEf-nFDn7qopdbSUToYu11r8prhaG943Eldd9-t0VhK4FsHp_R&usqp=CAY

They are inexpensive, and can be installed in very little time with a drill and simple hand tools.
http://www.bc4x4.com/pr/2002/bds-xj/bds-xj-5.jpg

Another option would be to correct the angle of the drag link by using a drop pitman arm. A little more involved of an installation... but depending on how your angles are now, it may or may not be needed.

NW99XJ
03-27-2014, 12:49 PM
as for the suspension "crashing over potholes" .....that is definitely an issue with your control arms, and if you're runnig stock arms on 3" of lift, I would say you have maxed out if not exceeded what the stock CA's are capable of.
Some fixed aftermarket arms, or even better some adjustable ones would be in order.
If you are dead set in retaining the stock control arms (not super wise in my opinion - mainly for strength) ...would be to get a set of control arm drop brackets. This will drop the mounts down and forward slightly to bring the control arm geometry closer to what it should be.

sbspence
03-30-2014, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the info! I'll grab a pic as soon as the weather clears up here. I'm liking the looks and quality of iron man stuff. I want to do it right from here on out. I'm through doing the cheap route. I have until Oct to be ready for a Jeepjamboree and a three hour trip each way.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
03-30-2014, 12:20 AM
Andy's stuff is tough, you will not break it

sbspence
03-30-2014, 01:54 PM
I know we are working without a pic here but what exactly should I need to make this lift right? I'm looking for as a direct a bolt in as possible. Do I need a track bar AND a pitman arm at 3" to make it right? If not which is the better option? I notice on Iron Man's sight that he has rubber bushings which I think I wNt for ride, but what if the advantage/disadvantage if the Johnny joints? Does ride quality suffer with them? Do I need uppers too? As for the rear are stock components okay back there? I'm not planning on running any trails over a 3-4 rating so I want strength, plug and playability, and the best possible hwy ride and manners. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
03-30-2014, 02:56 PM
All you need is the track bar for the front. Johnny joints are nice, burt not necessary. If you want a OEM like ride, go with the rubber bushings. You will feel more vibrations from the Johnny Joints

sbspence
03-30-2014, 05:49 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/31/7ysemesa.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/31/ge8usebu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/31/5a8epe9a.jpg
Hopefully one of these is light enough to get a clear look. Lemme know if not. Thanks again.! Oh. And I'll be going with the Iron Man stuff. Lower arms with rubber bushings and the adjustable track bar looks like.

sbspence
05-02-2014, 09:42 PM
I ended up with Rough Country adjustable track bar, and LCAs. I'm really discouraged with my lil Jeep at present. Every time I drive it I notice another issue that needs addressed! 😠

Steering is lousy, rides like an empty log wagon, it's spring a leak into the dome light, rust coming through passenger side front door down low, oil leak somewhere, power steering makes random noise when turning left, sonething sounding increasingly loose and rattly ride under my left foot while driving, harmonic balancer (I think) groaning , barking occasionally at idle, random check engine light and rough idling that comes and goes, driveline vibes still when accelerating, AC not cold...and I've already dumped over a grand in it on top of purchase price. My health is not the best so I have to farm out a large part if the work to be done. Sigh. I just wanted a Jeep so I could attend a Jeep Jamboree! Should've bought a brand new Patriot I guess. :( :rant mode off:

4.3LXJ
05-02-2014, 10:17 PM
There are issues like this with any used Jeep. You should have seen the first XJ I bought because I needed one right away

Rocco83
05-03-2014, 06:30 PM
You could build a damn fine XJ for the money you'd spend on a Patriot. A Patriot?

sbspence
05-03-2014, 10:07 PM
You could build a damn fine XJ for the money you'd spend on a Patriot. A Patriot?

That was mostly tongue in cheek. Just ranting in frustration amongst those who can empathize. I AM learning a hard lesson about trying to do something too quickly and on the cheap! 😡

I am debating starting to pull parts off and starting over if the new batch of fixes don't take care off my issues.

Prayers welcome! 😉

4.3LXJ
05-03-2014, 10:20 PM
What is it you plan to do?

sbspence
05-05-2014, 09:14 PM
I bought an RC adjustable trAck bar, and lower arms for a 3" lift.
I've also nArrowed the leaks down to.an existing antenna that was on the roof(ex hwy dept rig), and a drip.that hits the drivers floor plan after a.pressure wash from under the dash somewhere..Grommet for wires to engine bay mAybe? Beyond thAt I'm.open to ideas.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
05-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Old wiring through the firewall is a good place to start

sbspence
05-05-2014, 09:38 PM
My thoughts too. Thanks Steve!

4.3LXJ
05-05-2014, 09:44 PM
One more thought, check to make sure the radio antenna is sealed to the fender.

sbspence
05-07-2014, 09:59 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/08/equma4am.jpg This is where it drips after a wash or a heavy rain.

Brasscatz
05-07-2014, 10:14 PM
Mine would leak down there and actually fill up the driver's side floor pan. Turned out to be a bad seal on the windshield.

sbspence
05-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Ok thanks! I also saw an XJ on you tube that was doing that and he said it was from the cowl somewhere. I HATE water leaks and I've had them on 3 of my last 5 vehicles! Grr. They are such a pain to track down.

4.3LXJ
05-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Also remember, the pressure washer will find leaks that will not show up in the rain. My Jeep doesn't leak, but if I pressure wash it I can soak someone in the passenger seat if I am not careful :D

rut1095
05-08-2014, 07:23 PM
Yep, passenger side top left.

Wait....What?

sbspence
05-31-2014, 05:39 PM
Finally was able to find someone pretty knowledgeable with lifted XJs locally and had the adjustable track bar installed and the axle recentered, along with the install of the RC fixed LCAs for 3" lifts. It's steers better, and handles road irregularities a tad better but still not the ride is hoped for.

This new mechanic recommends IRO high steer set up as it is as cheap to by the whole package as all new stock tie rods, etc... I was on board until I saw on the site that the system won't work with factory rims. Sigh ... does it ever end? :) I would like to retain the factory 16" rims and the brand new tires I just purchased to fit them! 😁 My question is are there stronger steering components available that won't break the bank if I don't go withIRO hi steer or whatever it's called. ??

4.3LXJ
05-31-2014, 06:53 PM
Are you talking about the over the knuckle steering?

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-TOTKS&Category_Code=XST

XJ Wheeler
05-31-2014, 09:41 PM
Pretty sure i've never heard of needing a hi-steer kit with a 3" lift. And my front end is at 5" with all stock steering, even pitman arm. I know the newer ones are a little less tolerant to lift (the driveline angle anyway) but i don't think you would need anything more than a drop pitman arm at most.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

sbspence
05-31-2014, 10:23 PM
Are you talking about the over the knuckle steering?

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-TOTKS&Category_Code=XST

Yup that's the one. I like the idea but not having even more $$ out of the budget to buy spacers or different wheels. I'm only looking for good , reliable DD and some 1-3 rated trails at the Jeep Jamboree. Not happy with the ride of the RC coils, and AAL for a DD. The RC LCAs helped a little but not as much as I'd hoped.

Thinking I might just go with beefier stock replacements for the steering and spend the other money elsewhere. I still need a full size spare, longer brake lines, and rear recovery points, along with a better jack, and a CB before October to run in the Jamboree. 😕

sbspence
05-31-2014, 10:29 PM
Pretty sure i've never heard of needing a hi-steer kit with a 3" lift. And my front end is at 5" with all stock steering, even pitman arm. I know the newer ones are a little less tolerant to lift (the driveline angle anyway) but i don't think you would need anything more than a drop pitman arm at most.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Yeah. Mine is an 01 and it seems VERY finicky about steering, ride, and vibes. I thought 3" would be mild enough not to have all these issues. Now I've had to add the lower control/radius? Arms, adjustable track bar, and 1" tfer case drop and I still have accel vibes. I'm thinking it's going to take an SYE and driveshaft to fix it.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be less trouble to drop back to upcountry springs, or 2" OME and take the tfer case drop out and see how that does. 😕 I'm entering the pint of no return here I think and I rely need to decide which way I want to go. Lol

4.3LXJ
06-01-2014, 01:30 AM
Yup that's the one. I like the idea but not having even more $$ out of the budget to buy spacers or different wheels. I'm only looking for good , reliable DD and some 1-3 rated trails at the Jeep Jamboree. Not happy with the ride of the RC coils, and AAL for a DD. The RC LCAs helped a little but not as much as I'd hoped.

Thinking I might just go with beefier stock replacements for the steering and spend the other money elsewhere. I still need a full size spare, longer brake lines, and rear recovery points, along with a better jack, and a CB before October to run in the Jamboree. 😕

You shouldn't need this. The stock steering is more than capable of doing the job