PDA

View Full Version : Shocking!!

OGCollard
03-25-2014, 11:48 AM
Every time I get out of my XJ it shocks me! I try to tell it I will be a good owner but it does it anyway! I notice that sometimes my oil pressure reads and fluctuates as I drive and other times it will be pegged to 80, I also no that one time my hazards came on when I turned my left blinker on. I have only had and driven it about 300 miles since I bought on saturday. Seems to me like there may be a short somewhere. I know this is a BIG question here but where would I even begin to look for the short?? Does not seem right that my new rig wants to shock me all the time!

4.3LXJ
03-25-2014, 12:10 PM
It might seem like a short, but that erratic oil pressure is caused by a worn out oil pressure sender. An easy fix. The flasher situation is likely due to a worn out signal switch. The static problem is interesting though. What kind of clothes do you wear and what are your seats covered with?

OGCollard
03-25-2014, 12:29 PM
Well, normal clothes I suppose....I mean Jeans, shoes with rubber sole, hooded sweatshirts. I should try track pants!! See if it still does it. The interior is the factory cloth. In great shape too I might add

OGCollard
03-25-2014, 12:31 PM
I did read on the forum about changing that pressure sensor. Does seem easy!!

The turn signal I will research as well. Although I think my wife might have been seeing things following me home! I have not been able to replicate that turn signal thing.

Thanks for the help!

4.3LXJ
03-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Good luck

4.3LXJ
03-25-2014, 01:03 PM
I was just thinking, yo might try rubbing your seat and carpet with some drier sheets, you know to get rid of that static cling :D

Philxj4L
03-25-2014, 01:11 PM
Static is an easy fix. Fit an anti static strip, sometimes called static drain strap. Its a rubberised carbon strip that attaches with a small U clamp with pinch bolt, or bolt some light chain just long enough to make contact with the road. Static drains as you drive, no more shocks. You could also try holding the door BEFORE you get a foot to the ground, that sometimes works, but relies on you remembering every time. :)

Brasscatz
03-26-2014, 01:30 PM
lol, Steve.... "what are you wearing, 'Jake from State Farm'"? "Uh... khakis"

OGCollard
03-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Brasscatz....I totally got suckered into that one right!!!!!