PDA

View Full Version : Going to look at two XJ's, which year?

Ruger
03-20-2014, 12:52 PM
I found to XJ'S local to me.
One is a 1997, and the other is a 2000.
They both have about 170K on the odometer.
The kid I spoke with that has the 97, told me 94-97 was the best years.
Why is that? Or is he just trying to sale his Jeep?
I wanted to get some tips before checking them out tonight and tomorrow. Is the 2000 okay?
Thanks guys!

Brasscatz
03-20-2014, 12:57 PM
I don't think 94-97 are the best years... 96 had a lot of crossover parts and typically have they most issues. the "best" year would be the 99 because it has all of the better components. I have a 97 and it's been great. I'd probably go with that one. "Best" year range is probably 97-99. But, check them both out and take the one in the best condition.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

abebehrmann
03-20-2014, 12:59 PM
I've always heard that 99 is the best year. In 2000 they switched to coil packs instead of the distributor ignition as on older XJs. 2000 should have the low pinion Dana30 in front instead of the High pinion in earlier XJs. High pinion is slightly stronger and better for taller lifts. The Chrysler 8.25 for all 97+ has stronger shafts than pre 97. If they were completely equal, I would lean towards the 97. If the one had a Dana35 and the other had a Chrysler 8.25, I would go for the one with the Chrysler 8.25. I'm sure others have more advice for you though, I'm sure I'm missing a lot.

denverd1
03-20-2014, 01:01 PM
2000 has problem head, right?

Love my 98. Stronger rear axle, HP D30, upgraded interior. Couple mods to the engine and its good to go :)

Ruger
03-20-2014, 01:11 PM
maybe I better lean towards the 97? I seen the word "head problem" on 2000.
If the 97 is a better year, I would rather go for it. He said the underneath is clean, and shifts and drives nice.
He has it at a garage today. he said the oil filter adapter is leaking. I told him thats O rings. He said if they cant fix it, he will drop on the price. They should be able to fix it, not a hard job I don't think.
He thought it was the main seal, but said they verified that the adapter is the leaker.

denverd1
03-20-2014, 01:26 PM
maybe I better lean towards the 97? I seen the word "head problem" on 2000.
If the 97 is a better year, I would rather go for it. He said the underneath is clean, and shifts and drives nice.
He has it at a garage today. he said the oil filter adapter is leaking. I told him thats O rings. He said if they cant fix it, he will drop on the price. They should be able to fix it, not a hard job I don't think.
He thought it was the main seal, but said they verified that the adapter is the leaker.

what are prices/miles/conditions of each? I wouldn't let the 0331 head stop me, if everything else checks out. the head job is an easy one.

Ruger
03-20-2014, 01:36 PM
what are prices/miles/conditions of each? I wouldn't let the 0331 head stop me, if everything else checks out. the head job is an easy one.

I will make this easy, that way you guys can look at the ads. I am confused. I want to just make the smart choice in years.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4381010998.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4335814141.html

denverd1
03-20-2014, 02:22 PM
hmmm... close on mileage. price is about the same. comes down to condition and that pesky head.

Ruger
03-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Maybe I better lean towards the 97. I dont want a problem child with the head. The 97 head is better?
I know to check underneath really well.

denverd1
03-20-2014, 02:30 PM
2000 is the only year with the problem head. they were trying to improve emissions or some BS and cast it too thin in a few areas. Overheats (XJ's love to run hot) crack it and then you've got a problem. Those are too close in comparison to mess with it. If you were looking at a much older jeep, I'd say go with 2000 and plan on fixing it. But that 97 is good shape so I'd prolly lean there.

Ruger
03-20-2014, 02:37 PM
2000 is the only year with the problem head. they were trying to improve emissions or some BS and cast it too thin in a few areas. Overheats (XJ's love to run hot) crack it and then you've got a problem. Those are too close in comparison to mess with it. If you were looking at a much older jeep, I'd say go with 2000 and plan on fixing it. But that 97 is good shape so I'd prolly lean there.

Thanks! I will check out the 97 then.
I dont want to end up sorry. I am glad I asked before looking. If the 97 is nasty underneath, or something else, I will keep looking. I warned him on the phone, that I was going underneath it, and going over it very well.. He said it is solid.

XJ Wheeler
03-20-2014, 05:47 PM
I agree, the head offered in '00-'01 ("0331") usually is okay as long as it doesn't overheat... but these things don't have the best cooling systems so it is probably gonna happen at one time or another. Plus the coil pack (distributor-less) ignition can be expensive to replace as you have to replace the whole assembly at once. And, like mentioned, the low pinion front axle out in '00-01 XJs is a weaker design for a front axle and if you plan on lifting on he higher end it is harder to get a good driveline angle.

All these things is the reason people tend to shy away from the '00-'01. Ultimately, its not a giant problem. Just might cause a couple headaches later on. Good luck!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

XJ Wheeler
03-20-2014, 05:53 PM
Plus, looking at the add for the '00 it looks to have some damage to the doors and says passenger side rocker is rusted through. I'd pass because the rust, who knows how much more it has underneath.

Ruger
03-20-2014, 06:43 PM
I called the guy on the 2000. I will.pass for sure. He could not answer any questions I asked. Plus the head thing worries me.
I talked with the guy on the 97, besides him saying it had a great running "V6"...ummmm ok. Anyhow, he said come see it and go over it he has nothing to hide. I hope its decent, I miss having a Jeep.

cpttuna
03-20-2014, 06:56 PM
If you lean towards the 2000, a new windshield will cost you at least $200.00. The crack will not get better over time.

Ruger
03-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Okay the guy with the 97 just called me back. He went and had the oil filter adapter fixed. He said they replaced three orings. I guess the leak bothered him. Going tomorrow to check it out for sure. He said the last guy showed up and looked at the oil which he said is clean and golden in color, but offered him 1500. He told him the head gasket was going bad. So he had the mechanic check that today too. Mechanic told him the guy must have been trying to get it cheap, that there nothing wrong with it.

XJ Wheeler
03-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Okay the guy with the 97 just called me back. He went and had the oil filter adapter fixed. He said they replaced three orings. I guess the leak bothered him. Going tomorrow to check it out for sure. He said the last guy showed up and looked at the oil which he said is clean and golden in color, but offered him 1500. He told him the head gasket was going bad. So he had the mechanic check that today too. Mechanic told him the guy must have been trying to get it cheap, that there nothing wrong with it.

That's a good sign he takes care of it.

Ruger
03-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Thats what I thought too. Especially to go spend more money while trying to sale it. Hopefully it checks out well. I just have to slide underneath and make sure its not rotted out.
I forgot. He bypassed the heater core when it started leaking recently. Are they a pain to change on these?

XJ Wheeler
03-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Thats what I thought too. Especially to go spend more money while trying to sale it. Hopefully it checks out well. I just have to slide underneath and make sure its not rotted out.
I forgot. He bypassed the heater core when it started leaking recently. Are they a pain to change on these?

You could say that! You have to remove/move the dash to change it out. A sizable pain if you're doing it, or expensive if you're paying someone to do. But a good learning experience if you can get a knowledgeable buddy to lend a hand.

Ruger
03-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Thats what I thought. Not a deal breaker for me, but I guess it will have to be done. I was looking at the photos of the engine on the 97, either I am not understand ing something. Or there is no oil cap on the valve cover.

Brasscatz
03-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Nope, it's there. The top part just came off. Easy to pick another one up at a junk yard if it bugs ya ;)

abebehrmann
03-20-2014, 08:51 PM
Looks like the ratcheting cap came apart. Less than $10 to replace. Or just leave it like it is and use some plyers when you need to add oil.