PDA

View Full Version : Strange clicking/beeping noise from dash

CdnJeeper
03-20-2014, 12:50 AM
Hi again guys, I have a strange noise coming from my dash on the driver side left of the steering wheel. I cannot tell if it is the column, dash or upper part of the door. It has made this sound since I purchased the Jeep a year ago but only recently (week or two) has gotten worse.

I hear a strange clicking/squeaking noise for a few seconds, pause, again for a few seconds, over and over. It does it a lot when the jeep is cold and less after it warms up and I've been driving a while. After an hour of driving it never happens at all. If I toggle the turn signal switch it goes away. Then a minute later the sound comes back. It's strange because it only does it for a few seconds at a time then pauses... each time it does it it is random and will do it whether I'm driving sitting, turning the wheel.. it doesn't care lol I've already replaced the headlight switch and the noise persists even if I turn the light on or off.

I believe it could be the turn signal switch as I've always had to turn my right turn signal off manually otherwise it only clicks back half way and makes a buzzing noise. Other than that I am stumped, looking for experience and ideas.

Cheers

4.3LXJ
03-20-2014, 01:08 AM
Just thinking it might be your flasher, but nothing wrong with it that a new signal switch wouldn't fix

oderdene
03-20-2014, 08:25 AM
if you turn switch back manually, there maybe return spring broken. just guessing piece of spring maybe making a short and makes flasher buzzing, if your xj equipped with airbag, it might be different;

those 2 springs(circular?) are for turn signal return

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/attachments/f51/2401d1238889532t-loose-steering-column-repair-feels-like-tilt-broke-cherk3.jpg

NW99XJ
03-24-2014, 12:13 PM
Try removing the flasher relay, and then taking it for a quick drive around the block, and see if it goes away.

CdnJeeper
03-26-2014, 01:02 AM
Hi guys sorry for the late reply it has been a busy week. So far this week it has not made the noise, likely because I posted on here... lol

Now that you mention it the sound was coming from the headlight switch/relay area just below the drivers vent. It probably is that relay, I am not sure if it's failing, sticking etc. but since I changed that headlight switch the only thing left is the relay. My other thought is something's bad with the turn signal switch causing a reaction to the relay... who knows 100% as even removing it would give me 0 to go on.

I'll probably replace the relay I hear it is common and it's only $18. If it continues I'll try again.

Thanks guys.