PDA

View Full Version : Diesel conversions

XjJeepacorn
03-18-2014, 02:54 PM
Forgive me I haven't searched to far yet. I'm thinking about a diesel conversion in my next xj basically because I wanna make it run on vegtable oil. I know some do the cummins swap and others the mercadies swap. Have any of you done either swaps? Have any of you converted to veg oil? and if so do you have any build threads you can send me to?

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

abebehrmann
03-18-2014, 03:01 PM
I have no personal experience with this but I have done quite a bit of reading on it. I've read that the Cummins 4BT is quite a bit heavier than the 4.0L and might be too much for the unibody so the 5 cylinder Mercedes diesel or the TDI VW Diesel would be a better choice. As for the vegetable oil, if the temps outside are 40F or below you can have problems with the oil becoming too viscous for it to be pumped into the engine so a mix of diesel and vegetable oil or two tanks, one for diesel and one for vegetable oil, would work out better. Msmoorenburg is planning a swap of the MB diesel into an XJ so he or another member might be able to give you a bit more information. All of my information is from reading what others post on forums.

4.3LXJ
03-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Msmoorenberg is doing a Mercedes swap into an Xj I think as soon as he gets done with his Sunbeam project

UKJeeper
03-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Certain versions of the land Cruiser diesel engine are swappable into a Jeep.

4.3LXJ
03-18-2014, 04:21 PM
Haven't seen those here. But maybe there are a few around

Rocco83
03-18-2014, 06:40 PM
I plan on going the VW TDI diesel route soon as I take care of lift/tires and some other things.

drakan1908
03-18-2014, 08:25 PM
On Extreme 4x4, a few years back, they did a diesel conversion on a Sammy. I think they used the VW diesel and ran it on veggy oil but you had to start it on regular diesel and wait to switch over after it warmed up because they circulated hot water thru the veg. oil tank to keep it thin. You might check their website for old shows.

I think this is the episode http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes/XT2008-03/green-samurai-part-iii-finale

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

XjJeepacorn
04-22-2014, 10:28 PM
I have no personal experience with this but I have done quite a bit of reading on it. I've read that the Cummins 4BT is quite a bit heavier than the 4.0L and might be too much for the unibody so the 5 cylinder Mercedes diesel or the TDI VW Diesel would be a better choice. As for the vegetable oil, if the temps outside are 40F or below you can have problems with the oil becoming too viscous for it to be pumped into the engine so a mix of diesel and vegetable oil or two tanks, one for diesel and one for vegetable oil, would work out better. Msmoorenburg is planning a swap of the MB diesel into an XJ so he or another member might be able to give you a bit more information. All of my information is from reading what others post on forums.

Yeah I'm canadian! The thick oil in the winter was one of the forst things I though of in the winter months your supposed to run b20 and in the summer good ol' conola right now with the gas prices 16 l for 22 is lookin good 20 won't even get me 16 L @ 1.389 / l

you know you'd rather have my xj ;)

XjJeepacorn
04-22-2014, 10:31 PM
Thabks for the ideas I've read about the cummins and benz but not a tone of research yet. If I wanna be off grid and.sompletly self sufficant I'm gonna have to get real good at growin rape seed and prosessing it!

XjJeepacorn
04-22-2014, 10:33 PM
Maybe I should throw in learning how to spell with that whole self sufficant thing... but I guess if I'm out on my own real world skills with be a thing of the past and it'll be back to the basics!

4.3LXJ
04-22-2014, 11:08 PM
Yes, that 4BT is way too heavy. But after driving the Jeep 3.0 diesel I was impressed enough to look at some of the VW v6s. I was thinking one of those might make an XJ scoot

bluedragon436
04-22-2014, 11:18 PM
I've been looking at doing a diesel conversion for my XJ one day, been looking at either the VW TDI or the Merc diesel out of one of the older Merc's...

XjJeepacorn
04-23-2014, 05:09 PM
I'm gonna check out the vw!

Rocco83
04-23-2014, 05:15 PM
I'm pretty caught up on the ways to be self sufficient. Not entirely sure what season is best to grow rape seed though :p

If you get one of the earlier versions of the VW TDI they usually have a lot of interchangeable parts with Cummins. Couple of guys at my work are going to school for Diesel and Agri-Diesel. They are trying to convince me to let them put a 4BT in my XJ for free for a class project but I'm not sold on it.

XjJeepacorn
04-23-2014, 06:19 PM
As long as it comes with turbos! I'd be all in :) up in the norther parts we start growing things around now!