PDA

View Full Version : Front Axle Locker discussion

07Negative
03-15-2014, 01:13 PM
I'm bring up the discussion of locking the front differential. As I've been going along in my Dana 30/44 build. I've learned quite a bit. However I'm now having this battle with myself on choosing a locker. I know nothing other than the Detroit lockers. I have no experience with anything else.
And my limited knowledge on selectable lockers lean me to think more parts equals more potential problems.
I've had conversation with people I deem to be solid experienced folks. Not just internet doh doh's.
But I'm still torn. I will have manual locking hubs. I'm not lazy and don't mind getting out of my car. So street driving characteristics shouldn't be an issue. But can anyone vouch for how the offroad characteristics effect ones choice? I've never had a locked front diff.
From what I've gathered is that when in a tight spot of turning. The detroit locker can be challenge while steering your way through.
Which raises another questions. Hydro assist steering? Would this be of benefit to myself to consider?
My tire choice is 35" BFG KMII's. And doubt I'll go larger than a 35" tire on this Jeep.

4.3LXJ
03-15-2014, 01:45 PM
There is a lot of ground to cover here Deejay. Yes lockers can affect steering. For instance I have noticed that my turning radius can be a little wider on tight places. On 29 switchbacks road I got to test this out a lot twice and we will be heading back up after the TJ gets its new engine. But to summarize so far with an auto locker, there is good and bad. First the good. Going uphill, if the tires are spinning due to loose traction turning radius can actually be tighter. If tires are not spinning, turning radius can be about the same since there is free wheeling of one side. But, going downhill, that changes and under reverse power, both tires tend to turn the same speed and there is enough of increase in turning radius I had to stop and back up to make the turn. So, bottom line is that turning radius can be affected, but not universally so. Also, auto lockers have the advantage of being there for any use and it is all a no brainer.

Now to selectable. These are a little different animal. The axle shafts are locked solid and will definitely affect turning radius. Even though the front wheels are turned, there will be a tendency to go straight due to the wheels turning the same speed. Inside wheels turn slower in a turn, so there has to be a break in traction in a tight turn to accommodate the difference resulting in an tendency to increase the turning radius of the tightest turns. So there are times you really need the lockers off to make a tight turn. So, it is no longer a no brainer. You need to have good access to the switches that activated them and be thinking about when you want them on and off. But they have one great advantage that makes them attractive to me. You can turn them off for the street and in snow and ice. I have to tell you I didn't like my rear locker in snow. It was shifting which axle was engaged back and forth and made the Jeep do the Hula going down the straight stretches.

As far as ram assist, never a bad thing with 35s and if you upgraded to a super pump when you replaced your pump, go for it

07Negative
03-15-2014, 02:14 PM
I've got the Detroit in the 8.25 already. I really dislike it while doing road trips in October/November when it's snowing in Oregon. I put myself into a small ditch once b/c of it. I've decided to continue building my 8.25. Not much more to do to it. Disk brakes and Alloys and it's done. I'm going to hang onto my rear D44 just in case. But if I don't find a use for it. I'll end up selling it. And if I do end up putting in the D44. I'll probably do a selectable.

I have the AGR steering gear box and their pump as well. So maybe I'll consider ram assist.

My gut feeling just tells me to go with the Detroit locker. I will have manual hubs for DD. I can also unlock one hub at a time if need be. Even though it's insanely inconvenient at times. I guess I'll find out once it's all said and done and I put the XJ through its passes?

I've looked a bit online. But I'm really not turning up very level headed discussions about this topic. It seems to be bias opinions. I just know I don't want a ARB. If anything I'd do an E-Locker.

Steve, We got some wheeling to do this coming season man! I need to get bumpers too. I have none at this moment.

4.3LXJ
03-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Yes, some wheeling for sure. The local area here, High Lakes, is an area I have been heading into and exploring. There are some challenging trails there, but only one according to rumor to rival the Rubi or Fordyce trails. I found another good possibility in a related area that is the back way into Jonesville, a former stagecoach stop on the Humbolt road. You can Google it. One map shows a trail, the other an OHV road. Those are the good ones. They apparently have some July 4 doings there also, but not sure what. But that might be a good date to try that one. High Lakes is also nearby so if that doesn't pan out, there is plenty of stuff nearby. I also plan to explore more of the Rubicon area. There are some other Jeep trails there marked on my maps, as well as the Hell Hole trail which I want to return to. So there is plenty of really good wheeling on my agenda

07Negative
03-15-2014, 02:58 PM
Well Pencil me in! You've dropped hints here and there you're working on stuff. Whatcha got cookin over there?

4.3LXJ
03-15-2014, 04:14 PM
Pulling the 4.0 out of Paul's TJ this weekend. Going to drop a V8 in it starting next week.

EricsXJ
03-15-2014, 11:45 PM
I'm bring up the discussion of locking the front differential. As I've been going along in my Dana 30/44 build. I've learned quite a bit. However I'm now having this battle with myself on choosing a locker. I know nothing other than the Detroit lockers. I have no experience with anything else.
And my limited knowledge on selectable lockers lean me to think more parts equals more potential problems.
I've had conversation with people I deem to be solid experienced folks. Not just internet doh doh's.
But I'm still torn. I will have manual locking hubs. I'm not lazy and don't mind getting out of my car. So street driving characteristics shouldn't be an issue. But can anyone vouch for how the offroad characteristics effect ones choice? I've never had a locked front diff.
From what I've gathered is that when in a tight spot of turning. The detroit locker can be challenge while steering your way through.
Which raises another questions. Hydro assist steering? Would this be of benefit to myself to consider?
My tire choice is 35" BFG KMII's. And doubt I'll go larger than a 35" tire on this Jeep.

I have ARBs and yes when the front is engaged it can be harder to make sharp turns depending on the amount of traction I have. 4.3LXJ also stated this but with a selectable like an ARB, when its locked it is just like a spool. That means each side turns equally with no differentiation. An auto locker is a bit more forgiving as it can unlock/lock just that little bit as you gas and let off the gas in turning. Obviously this won't happen if you are giving heavy throttle through the whole turn.

Rarely do I keep the front end locked for long periods of time. I prefer to keep it unlocked unless I can't clear the obstacle or sometimes I will engage it before the obstacle if I know I'll need it. Keeping it off helps me turn and position myself to take better lines. I am more inclined to leave the rear axle locked all the way through tough sections since it doesn't affect steering for me (it can affect steering in some situations though).

I know you said you are against getting an ARB. I'm not going to try and persuade you otherwise, but just point out that they have been flawless for me on two sets of axles. Especially when it comes to ARB's though, I will always buy new and have them installed by an experienced gear guy. That's because most problems you hear about are due to faulty installation or bad seals, possibly damaged or just old in the case of buying it used.

EricsXJ
03-15-2014, 11:50 PM
Yes, some wheeling for sure. The local area here, High Lakes, is an area I have been heading into and exploring. There are some challenging trails there, but only one according to rumor to rival the Rubi or Fordyce trails. I found another good possibility in a related area that is the back way into Jonesville, a former stagecoach stop on the Humbolt road. You can Google it. One map shows a trail, the other an OHV road. Those are the good ones. They apparently have some July 4 doings there also, but not sure what. But that might be a good date to try that one. High Lakes is also nearby so if that doesn't pan out, there is plenty of stuff nearby. I also plan to explore more of the Rubicon area. There are some other Jeep trails there marked on my maps, as well as the Hell Hole trail which I want to return to. So there is plenty of really good wheeling on my agenda

Man, both you guys are just over the hill from me. You should come join us Memorial Weekend for our Reno Run that we are planning through NAXJA. We have some awesome trails here on a variety of difficulty levels so there's something for everyone. Also join us for Sierra Fest in August when we run the 'Con and Deer Valley / Slick Rock Road.

4.3LXJ
03-16-2014, 10:40 AM
I am always looking for wheeling buddies. Where are you at Eric?

EricsXJ
03-16-2014, 10:55 AM
I am always looking for wheeling buddies. Where are you at Eric?

I'm in Reno. Most of my NAXJA wheeling buddies are in the Bay Area and Sac.

07Negative
03-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Bay Area? Really? I don't wheel as much as I like bc I can't find people. Well until recently. But their all Toyota guys. And up until recently. My jeep is in no shape to wheel. But I'm game for any of those events. I should have my junk together by Memorial weekend.

One of the reasons why I'm not doing an ARB is bc everyone else is already got them it seems. But also familiarity is also a big deciding factor. But I can certainly see the merits in all the options. Thanks for your input Eric. Love the website and waiting for the new book!

cantab27
03-16-2014, 08:58 PM
I got a ox in my 30.....cable easy just like me .....I prefer selectable for front end as mine can still be driven on road ......just what I prefer and as eric does don't have it locked unless needed when wheeling which I don't do much....:D

nickyg
03-16-2014, 11:10 PM
I got a ox in my 30.....:D

I'm curious???

07Negative
03-17-2014, 02:25 AM
By dehydrating. :)

EekGirl96
03-17-2014, 09:08 AM
I had an Aussie locker in the front of mine (and plan on having it in the front of my Waggy) and loved it, did great on the road since my XJ was my DD first and a crawler second. It did "pop" on occasion, mostly when I was doing u-turns but other than that it performed well.

Theyre relitively inexpensive too, which was a plus...a brand new one for a D44 is only $250,...I found mine for my XJ on craigslist for less than $200

slipinkramer
05-27-2014, 07:46 PM
I had an Aussie Locker up front for 3 years and it performed great off road! It was totally transparent on road while in 2 wheel drive mode. Once shifted into 4x4, the Jeep was almost un-steerable on pavement.

You might consider a Detroit (Eaton) Tru Track. Its not quite a locker up front but its pretty darn good. And you can still drive it in 4x4 on the road, which is nice.