PDA

View Full Version : Factory wiring behind front bumper

2001-XJ
03-11-2014, 07:47 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/12/emahedev.jpg

Anyone know what this wiring plug is for (female plug behind front bumper) wires leading to it are small and run up below the passenger side light. I tested the plug to see if it had power when key was in or lights, but no juice. Any ideas?

abebehrmann
03-11-2014, 08:10 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I think it might be for the factory fog lights. I'm sure someone around here knows for sure though.

4.3LXJ
03-11-2014, 08:10 PM
That is for the factory driving lights. It won't have power unless it is plugged into the factory driving light switch and it is switched on

2001-XJ
03-11-2014, 09:45 PM
I wondered about that. It doesn't have factory driving lights. Wow those are some thin wires though!

Thanks

XJ Wheeler
03-12-2014, 12:27 AM
Oddly enough XJs are wired for most options, even if not equipped. I guess it saved enough time to put in the same harness for all to make it worth it on the production line. But of course they won't world without the other items, switches, relays, fuses, and of course the missing item to be powered. Want power mirrors? Wiring should be there!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Mudderoy
03-12-2014, 03:01 AM
I found one right in the middle of the bumper area. I had factory driving lights, so this one in the middle wasn't for that. The best I could figure, and from the type of plug that was on the wiring, it is a front license plate light!

Just guessing of course. I assumed that some foreign countries, like California for example, might require the front license plate illuminated. :flameon:

jimmixj
03-12-2014, 07:25 AM
I found one right in the middle of the bumper area. I had factory driving lights, so this one in the middle wasn't for that. The best I could figure, and from the type of plug that was on the wiring, it is a front license plate light!

Just guessing of course. I assumed that some foreign countries, like California for example, might require the front license plate illuminated. :flameon:

Heck Tony, thanx for clearin that up for me! All this time I thought CA was another planet. They do seem to have a lot of advanced knowledge about what will hurt me, and they have had more than one Guvner I'm pretty sure weren't all human!:D

Carves
03-12-2014, 08:14 AM
Looks like the plug for the ambient sensor ... for the temp display in the roof console.

... thats whats in the middle of the crossmember on mine.

2001-XJ
03-12-2014, 06:47 PM
I bet that's it. The wiring is too small for lights. Thanks for the help

editedforsafety
03-15-2014, 11:04 AM
One of my mirrors is heated and one is not, I guess one was replaced at some point, though I'm not sure which. It's not listed on my build sheet. The passenger side is heated, though I'd rather my driver side be the one to be heated. I don't tend to look at the passenger side, it all rear view and over the shoulder for blind spots. I plan on switching out the driver side at some point when I find one cheap.