PDA

View Full Version : Second round of upgrades

pointsnorth
03-09-2014, 11:46 PM
Looking to start next round of upgrades to a 95 4.0L 2 door XJ. Buget is limited so it might take a few months to pull this all off; and used parts are preferred if hey are serviceable. Any links would be helpful. Also looking for names to avoid.

First order is adding some tow/recovery points both front and rear. are there any hooks or loops that mount directly to the frame or do I need to buy the complete bumper kits? Would not mind adding a winch if I can find a good used front bumper with mount...

Second I would like to stiffen the rear suspension to allow carrying a bit more cargo. I loaded 12 40lb salt bags from the store and the rear sank a bit more than I'm comfortable with. Don't plan on carrying a load very often but it would be nice to carry 400-500lb without any issues. Would prefer not to lift rear more than an inch or so.

The steel wheels are a bit rusty; would like to know if anyone has a set of factory alloy wheels with decent tires at a good price. Will see what size it has now in the morning.

Next is a roof rack for camping gear or a kayak or canoe....any suggestions on good used models that are common or ones to avoid?

Also want to start thinking of ways to improve gas mileage; planning hiking trips to Florida and the Tetons this summer and if I can get an extra gallon or 2 per mile that would help.

Brasscatz
03-10-2014, 07:45 AM
You've got many options on tow hooks, and several can be seen here in this link. But you could probably get lucky and find some factory hooks in the junkyard. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/cherokee-tow-hooks

For stiffer rear suspension, you need to figure out if you're looking for more lift on top of more stiffness. You can create a "bastard pack" with some much stiffer springs and get exactly what you're looking for. For stock height, I've heard that Old Man Emu has stock leaf springs with different spring rates.

For stock wheels and tires, I've seen a TON of them on Craigslist. People upgrade their wheels and tires all the time and put them up there. That will probably be your best bet.

Several options for roof racks too... here's a homemade one: http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7380

There's lots of good info in this thread about gas mileage ;) http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1985

abebehrmann
03-10-2014, 09:25 AM
^ What Brasscatz said. Although I've been searching here in FL for a set of OEM tow hooks for about 6 months and still haven't found a set on an XJ. Could just be my luck though.

One benefit of the bastard pack that I rarely see mentioned is that you don't have to deal with those pesky front leaf spring bolts. I've seen lots of stories about the bolt or nutsert breaking creating a huge PITA. At the outset, it seems way easier to just buy a brand new leaf pack but if that bolt breaks it sure turns into a lot more trouble than cutting up a set of leaf springs and clamping/bolting them back together.

For the winch bumper, I just bought a custom (non-winch) bumper from Virginiafabrication.com and am very happy with it. A brand new stubby winch bumper from them starts at $225 which includes hardware and shipping. Probably about the same cost or less than a used one off CL. Comes with recovery points too, so you wouldn't necessarily have to buy the tow hooks.

pointsnorth
03-14-2014, 11:03 PM
Ran across these; Any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AROSPEED-UNIVERAL-GREEN-HIGH-STRENGTH-RACING-TOW-STRAP-KIT-FRONT-REAR-E-/261423907438?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AXJ&hash=item3cde14426e&vxp=mtr

4.3LXJ
03-14-2014, 11:31 PM
I am not sure this would be what you want. Seems to be specific for Jaguar and says it is not compatible with XJs. Ends on it are wrong anyway. You want a hook or loop

XJ Wheeler
03-15-2014, 01:52 PM
You must have searched "xj". Jaguar also made an XJ. So when you search put in "jeep xj" instead, cuts out Jaguar all together. ;)

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

cpttuna
03-15-2014, 02:02 PM
Install a set of Bosch 703 injectors(4hole) get them off several different Chrysler vehicles at the JY or use search on the jeep sites to find someone who will sell you a set.